• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix: Final Fantasy XIV to Be Released for PS3 Before PS4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurohei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
That's all good and stuff, but will Versus XIII Still come out for ps3? That's all I care about.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:34 am Reply with quote
I'll wait for the PS4 version
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
That's all good and stuff, but will Versus XIII Still come out for ps3? That's all I care about.

With how far in development they are, I hope so. My theory is that they'll do what they did with Twilight Princess and release it for both the PS3 and port it to the PS4.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
If they released it for the PS3 its going to run into the same problems FFXI did because it was put out on the PS2. The game is going to be limited by the old console specifications...
Sleverin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
Finally. Some freakin' news on FFXIV. It's nice to finally see something reported in the gaming press outside of SE's own sites for the game. Started as a horrible game (but what MMO doesn't honestly?) and turned into a great one. Fantastic story, compelling art design, great writing team and lore team. I mean damn dude, they made a whole in game written language and every map is written in it. There's a lot of hard work done in this game and they really should get some recognition. Some of their gear is just some really impressive looking stuff and the fact that they are improving the graphics engine and physics means it's going to get better. I can't wait for this game, even though the PS3 doesn't really affect me.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
If they released it for the PS3 its going to run into the same problems FFXI did because it was put out on the PS2. The game is going to be limited by the old console specifications...

No way, after so many years of development it should run perfectly on ps3, if anything, it would run worse on ps4 because it would be a port to an unknown system to the developers. PS3 is not an "old console" considering the ps4 isn't even out yet and will probably get delayed till 2014. So I assume if the game is still being released, it will be a ps3 exclusive
xfri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
Too bad When i watch the video ps3 version is kind a little lag. Anyway the game it self is still in beta. I am planning to play it in my ps3, i hope i can play ps3 and pc with same account.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
xfri wrote:
Too bad When i watch the video ps3 version is kind a little lag. Anyway the game it self is still in beta. I am planning to play it in my ps3, i hope i can play ps3 and pc with same account.

Yeah, I noticed that they tried to keep the PS3 footage exposure pretty low on the tour of Eorzea video. My friend disagreed and said he didn't notice except in one segment, but I definitely noticed it in all of the shots. Not trying to rag on it, but I hope they can fix that up a bit once the full version comes out. I myself don't really care, but there are a lot of people out there who will drop the game simply because there's a drop in framerate.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
When they do the alpha and beta testing on these they do them in phases for specific amounts of time before letting the testers go wild. Part of this is figure out what in the game causes the most lag for players. I know for the original FFXIV there was a noticeable change in the way my PC handled the game between alpha, beta, and release. I'm sure when the PS3 testing starts (I think they said during phase three of the PC testing) they'll be doing something similar to figure out where players are getting the most lag in order to make the game run as smooth as possible. And even if they don't catch it all in beta it's not like they won't make adjustments on the fly once it's released.

I'm not too worried about the graphics on the PS4 version. Unlike FFXI which was made for the PS2 and ported elsewhere, FFXIV started with the PC. If the PS4 is as flexible as Sony says it is it should be able to port from the PC version rather than the PS3 version very well. The new graphics really scare me, though. I've got a PC that can run Skyrim maxed out, but FFXIV recommended specs include a better video card than mine.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sleverin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah the FFXIV specs have always been insane. If you've been following any of the reports coming out of SE Yoshi-P (the head of the team down there for those of you who don't know) stated that he wanted the graphics to be comparable to newer games for some time. Sure, they don't plan to be pushing the boundaries further and further as the years go on, but they want to make sure it ages better than XI did.

And yes they will be doing PS3 testing in third phase of beta. First phase is in fact starting tomorrow, though I'll be far too busy to participate until next weekend at best. I agree with you Emerje in that I'm not worried for the future, especially since Yoshi-P seems to really be on the ball when it comes to pushing the dev team to fix any problems they come up with and to make sure this new engine is much better. As I mentioned though, my primary concern are the people who will just go crazy foaming at the mouth about how it's not running at an optimal OMG 100 FRAMES all the time. People get really weird about those numbers.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
With how far in development they are, I hope so. My theory is that they'll do what they did with Twilight Princess and release it for both the PS3 and port it to the PS4.
More like port the PC version to PS4 since PS4 is more PC-like in its architecture.

RoverTX wrote:
Unlikely. XI was developed for PS2 and ported to PC. XIV is being developed with a very scalable engine with both systems in mind. Yes, the PS3 will be limited in its visual capabilities compared to PC/PS4, but it is unlikely we see the "lol PS# limitations" reason being touted as much as it was for XI in regards to features and game design.

Ambimunch wrote:
if anything, it would run worse on ps4 because it would be a port to an unknown system to the developers.
lol...no

xfri wrote:
That PS3 video was not fully optimized (I believe Yoshida said 75%) and the game is still in development. They will get it fixed, don't worry. As for playing both systems with one account, yes, you will be able to do that, but you will need to buy the PS3 version of the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1