• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
Holywhippet wrote:
To be fair, a lot of those shops have 1000s of items for sale and can't keep track of every single one. They might have in in their database that they can get a copy from somewhere but haven't had a need to test it out recently.

What I can't understand is why volume four of Hayate is so hard to get when volumes before and after are easier to come by. Was it a very limited run?

Oh i get that but its still very annoying and happens quite frequently.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote
I am at it again. Now I have decided that I want to collect Eden: It's an Endless World which happens to have volumes 8, 9 & 10 OOP. Not too badly priced as of yet though, just a bit over what I would want to pay for them.

Does anyone know what the difference between the Titan and DH releases of this are though? The front covers look the same on Amazon, but I wouldn't want to mix the publisher up in case they were difference size volumes etc (unless it was necessary)
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
gee you're biting off a big one here, dunno where you are buying your books but 8 and 9 of eden are well hard to get.

the measurements for the titan volumes are 185 x 130mm but you're best off just getting the dark horse ones if you can as they arrangements and logos will all match that way.

I have an order in for volume 8. if that goes through (i suspect it wont) i'll try for 9 and 10. if i gt them i'll deffo get the rest as all the ealrier volumes are alot easier to get hold of.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
I need to source me a copy of GTO the early years 8, I've got orders in for all the other volumes but this one is eluding me.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Try www.comics.nl It's on their site and I saw the actual volume at the last convention they went to. There's a very, very good chance they still got it.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
says out of stock. bookmarking the site though as more places to check is never bad.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
hey are these books all the english ones? looks that way but i cant be sure as theres no publisher listed on any of em
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
says out of stock.

Wow, that was quick O_O Well, I did share the link with some other people earlier today, sorry Anime smile + sweatdrop

But yes, they only sell English manga. Another good place to keep an eye on is www.senorhernandez.com/ I don't think they've got any GTO, but they do have some other stuff like Eden 10.

Also worth a try: www.eppo.nl You'd have to e-mail them (in English is fine), but it's a really good place to find old manga for decent prices.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
ReaKon wrote:
I am at it again. Now I have decided that I want to collect Eden: It's an Endless World which happens to have volumes 8, 9 & 10 OOP. Not too badly priced as of yet though, just a bit over what I would want to pay for them.

Does anyone know what the difference between the Titan and DH releases of this are though? The front covers look the same on Amazon, but I wouldn't want to mix the publisher up in case they were difference size volumes etc (unless it was necessary)

I have the Titan release of volume 1 and it's identical to the Dark Horse one: same translation, same size. The only difference is the logo on the spine.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:22 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
gee you're biting off a big one here, dunno where you are buying your books but 8 and 9 of eden are well hard to get.

the measurements for the titan volumes are 185 x 130mm but you're best off just getting the dark horse ones if you can as they arrangements and logos will all match that way.

I have an order in for volume 8. if that goes through (i suspect it wont) i'll try for 9 and 10. if i gt them i'll deffo get the rest as all the ealrier volumes are alot easier to get hold of.

Yeah, tell me about it - but once I get it into my head, the hunt is on.

8, 9 and 10 are going for £20-30 at very good+ which I am happy to pay, if I can't get them cheaper anywhere else. It certainly could be worse.

It's funny, you have the exact opposite approach to me with OOP titles. If I set my mind to getting a series, I will get all of the non-OOP volumes (in case they change to OOP later down the line) and look into getting the rare ones later - even if that means paying the higher price. Maybe it is just false optimism as I am just starting trying to find rare stuff.

NeburPT wrote:
I have the Titan release of volume 1 and it's identical to the Dark Horse one: same translation, same size. The only difference is the logo on the spine.

Thanks, I will aim to get all of DH's releases, but failing that, at least Titan's releases won't look too obscure on my shelves.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:56 am Reply with quote
on the waterstones website i saw they had volume 7 to "pre-order" but when i looked it said titan books and the date of release was jan 1 2020 so i think its a bit of a bust lol
ReaKon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
Just looked on waterstones myself (after you said that) and saw that they have vol 8 of it on there for £5.24. Chucked the order in, even though they are probs gonna say it was a mistake. Is that where you put your order in?

Vol 7 is going for £6 ish on amazon for new copies, so no need to worry about that one. (or were you hoping for re-prints?)
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
yeah thats where i put an order in and it was more of a flight of fancy than a serious attempt. I had seen it a couple of weeks back for about £12 but passed the info along rather than get it myself as Im not officially collecting the series.

Its a good looking series and the premise is interesting but the effort id have to put in to getting it all is a bit much when i consider the other older series i have yet to finish off. Alot of em are ones i started years ago and regretfully i took my eye off the market for a couple of years, i didn't consider the books going out of print as they were Graphic novels and Id only associated high comic prices with decades old monthly issues.

ah well thanks to a friend doing an order from right stuf for me i'll have patched up a sizeable gap in my collection when it all arrives and will only have about 4-7 books to get to finish off all the OOP series I've got (not counting kurosagi or MPD-psycho as they're just a result of dark horse being awkward gits)
ReaKon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
Which volumes of MPD Psycho are you looking for (and what are the other ones aswell)? I will keep my eye out next time I am in Wolvo FP, I am pretty sure they had volume 3 & 9 in the sale section for 6.99 with buy one get one free, but I don't remember looking in the normal section for the others.

I started collecting it about 6 months ago and Amazon was asking ridiculous prices for volume 4 (about 100 pounds) but I got half of them on ebay for 2.50 each +postage and the rest from amazon/forbidden planet for <RRP. I figured they weren't as rare as traders made out. Sometime luck comes into it I guess.

I can't really help you with Kurosagi. The only OOP one is vol 5 and I nabbed that when I saw it 2 weeks ago. Not too sure if I want to collect the series yet, but there was a potential so I couldn't let it slip. If I decide I don't want it, I will give you first dibs.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
mpd was vol's 3 and 6 but im sure 4 and 7 will be oop by the time i get em lol. Kurosagi was 5 like you say

cheers for the offer if i dont have it by the time you decide i'll take you up on it.

id seen Kurosagi vol.5 on ebay, 2 different lots ending the same day near the same time and i was bidding on both but lost both. I've done pretty well this month for oop stuff this month
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 76