• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I noticed the Dragon Ball Z VIZBIG editions going randomly in and out of print while I was collecting them (two years ago, I think?). They always came back on the market if I waited a while. :/ Not sure if that's happening now, though.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
NeburPT wrote:
Now that you mention it, there are a few other series that just got out of print volumes back in stock at the bookdepository.

- Hunter X Hunter 5, 14 and 18 (8 and 9 still oop)
- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 5 and 6
- Knights of the Zodiac 1
- Hikaru no Go 22 and 23

From what I can tell through a quick Amazon & Book Depository check, The Jojo's & Knights of the Zodiac restocks were only temporary, as well as Hunter x Hunter Vol. 14.

Hikaru no Go Vol. 22 & 23 seem to have been reprinted, as well as all other OOP Hunter x Hunter volumes (5, 8, 9 and 18). They are listed as In Stock on Amazon.

Looks like Viz reprinted Hunter x Hunter Vol. 14 after all: Book Depository has it at a low price, and while Amazon.com doesn't have it yet, there's a reputable Marketplace seller who's selling a new copy for under $7.

I think that we have the new anime to thank for this.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
A heads up here, RightStuf just delisted a bunch of Viz books, including volumes of:

Absolute Boyfriend
Banana Fish
Case Closed
Dr. Slump (all available digitally)
Fushigi Yugi (has omnibuses)
Hayate the Combat Butler
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Knights of the Zodiac
Mar
Megaman NT Warrior
Mermaid Saga
Monster
Nana
Neon Genesis Evangelion (omnibuses coming out)
Nightmare Inspector
One Piece (early singles, there's omnibuses for that)
Prince of Tennis
Ranma 1/2
Red River (becoming available digitally)
Ruroni Kenshin (also has omnibuses)
Shaman King
Ultimate Muscle
Yugioh Duelist
Yu Yu Hakusho

And the boxsets for Vampire Knight and Pokemon Adventure 1.
For which specific volumes, just check their website

Also, I need to point out the hilarity of just wtf happened here over on Amazon in regards to used Pokemon Adventure boxsets
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Luckily, I have Vol. 6 & 16 of Banana Fish + Vol. 3 & 8 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure already. I'll need to get Knights of the Zodiac 19 and Slam Dunk 12, though.

Slam Dunk I can see them reprinting, since they did reprint 10 and 14 when they went OOP. Knights of the Zodiac, no.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
handy that they are re-printing HxH as i was just trying to get into that recently and the lack of available volumes put me off. i sold the harcback copy of vol 14 i had but i can now get the paperback one instead.

also nice to see the later volumes of hikaru no go get reprints too as they were oop and expensive. Wish i had the resources to just make a big list off all the at risk books i want and grab em.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:21 am Reply with quote
It looks like Berserk won't be getting a reprint at least in the near future: http://boards.darkhorse.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19979
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
holy crap they can speak!

thats a shame i though berserk was really popular too of course from what I've learned of the manga industry my rule should be "whatever i think is wrong".

Im almost all caught up with berserk, just put in an order for vols 25, 34 and 35 meaning i can order 26 and 36 on friday and then i just gotta get the new volumes as they hit.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:

thats a shame i though berserk was really popular too of course from what I've learned of the manga industry my rule should be "whatever i think is wrong".

Berserk is popular and quite successful... However read through Randy's two entries again. He covers the topic of Sales Velocity (also known as Rate of Movement or ROM) and how that has impacted volumes in the middle of a series. That is especially true for long titles as stores do not always keep all volumes on shelves.

More reason to preorder books. More reason to not delay when following a series... Unless you like manga hunting.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:50 am Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
RAmmsoldat wrote:

Berserk is popular and quite successful... However read through Randy's two entries again. He covers the topic of Sales Velocity (also known as Rate of Movement or ROM) and how that has impacted volumes in the middle of a series. That is especially true for long titles as stores do not always keep all volumes on shelves.

More reason to preorder books. More reason to not delay when following a series... Unless you like manga hunting.

while id love to be able to buy all of the books i want as soon as they hit i have a large back log to get through and a lot of series on the go so its just not gonna happen so i'll be hunting for a while.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, that's a real pity about Berserk. I'm still getting the books when I can but still...

I've actually been considering getting into Blade of the Immortal since it's actually finished up, but I'm a little nervous...Does anyone know how "safe" it's looking?
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh man OOP titles are such an annoyance you'll never really know what will be in or out from the vault. lol

Seriously I just noticed that volumes 17 & 19 of Xxxholic are being sold on Amazon at twice its regular price! Then the former OOP volume of Case Closed which is 34 is being sold at its regular to even lower price at the moment! It used to fetch around $45 or so.. But right now Case Closed 15 is the OOP one. Just FYI!

I don't buy things consecutively rather I buy what volumes I could get more conveniently at stores. If I don't remember which volume I needed I usually get the much recent released volumes.. I always hate it when it's often the volume(s) I don't have that gets OOP!!!!! Seriously!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Luckily, I have Vol. 6 & 16 of Banana Fish + Vol. 3 & 8 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure already. I'll need to get Knights of the Zodiac 19 and Slam Dunk 12, though.

Slam Dunk I can see them reprinting, since they did reprint 10 and 14 when they went OOP. Knights of the Zodiac, no.

I picked up all of the above on Sunday. I found Saint Seiya Vol. 19 for $3 at that. I also nabbed a copy of The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service Vol. 6 as that has also skyrocketed in price.

Hmm, I have to decide quickly if I want to start Berserk.

chichiriNoDa wrote:

Seriously I just noticed that volumes 17 & 19 of Xxxholic are being sold on Amazon at twice its regular price! Then the former OOP volume of Case Closed which is 34 is being sold at its regular to even lower price at the moment! It used to fetch around $45 or so.. But right now Case Closed 15 is the OOP one. Just FYI!

I didn't realize that Vol. 34 went back into print. But 15 didn't? Odd.

Maybe it'll just take its time to show up as available over the next several days, like Hunter x Hunter Vol. 14 did. Or maybe they just didn't think it was worthwhile at this time. It looks like Viz actually wants to keep all of Case Closed in print, if the reprint of Vol. 1-8 last year is any indication. We'll see if Vol. 11-12 follow suit, which have gone OOP since the last time I checked.

I didn't realize that those xxxHolic went out of print. Interesting.

This was also pointed out on Viz's Facebook page recently, but OOP volumes of Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium World went back into print, as well as Vol. 3, 6, 8 and 23 of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist. Vol. 7-9 for Duelist remain OOP, from the looks of it.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
So which volumes of hunter x hunter are the most at risk then? I wanna take a quick run at them now that there have been some reprints i know 8 14 and 18 are recent reprints but what others should i look to grab first?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I still haven't gotten around to buying those last two volumes of XXXholic, so calling my friend who works at a comic store now to see if they still have them on their shelves. Don't want to pay too much, and I don't want to buy it in omnibus form whenever, if ever, darkhorse may touch it. Thank you guys for the heads up.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
More manga delistings at TRSI! Check for specific vols

Absolute Boyfriend
Alice 19th
Angel Sanctuary
Banana Fish (#17)
Beauty Pop
Buso Renkin
Case Closed
Ceres, Celestial Legend
DBZ (both singles and BIG)
Death Note (including How to Read & Another Note, and Black eds)
Descendants of Darkness
Eagle: Making of an America Asian President
Eyeshield 21
Flame of Recca
Fushigi Yugi
From Far Away
Gintama
Happy Hustle High
Hayate the Combat Butler
Hikaru no Go (#9, 16)
Honey & Clover
Hot Gimmick
Imadoki
Inuyasha BIG
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Kare First Love
Kaze Hikaru
Kekkaishi
Ouran High School Host Club
One Piece
Mar
Meru Puri
Megaman NT Warrior
Missin' Novel
Prince of Tennis
Punch!
Rurouni Kenshin (both singles and BIG)
Sand Chronicles
Shaman King
Tail of the Moon
Tekkon Kinkreet
Ultra Maniac
Ultimo
Vampire Knight
Wedding Peach
Whistle
W Juliet
Yugioh Duelist
Yugioh Millennium World
YuYu Hakusho
Zombie Powder

Kare Kano

Art of Porco Rosso art book
My Neighbor Totoro art book
Princess Mononoke Film Comic
Howl's Moving Castle Film Comic
Howl's moving Castle art book
Spirited Away artbook
Spirited Away GNs
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind GNs

Naruto official fanbook

Whew, I think that's everything! That means, that for now at least, everyone get a jump on Hikaru no Go if you haven't already! I'm surprised that an Inuyasha BIG had gone out, I thought that was a big seller for them since forever, and they're not even done releasing those in BIG.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 76