• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sony Reveals PlayStation 4 Home Console

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/sony-exec-playstation-4-doesnt-block-used-games

And people wait until E3 before to whine. They're obviously not going to show everything.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
Guess we'll be buying PS4 games now. And of course get ready for the bugs as always. Problems with compatibility issues, and all that other junk. But do we actually have a picture of this thing. I mean it isn't just a controller. But I notice they're getting motion a motion sensor like the Kinect. Now correct me if they did have one and I missed it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Except it isn't a mistake, not in the way you think it is. The original mistake was the hardware design of the PS3. Sony knew fans would be pissed by the PS4 not being backwards compatible but they're trying to fix their earlier mistake by properly designing the PS4. Weighing up the pros and cons, Sony decided that it was better to fix the old problem than to keep it around. Whether that is a mistake in the long run no-one yet knows; Sony could well have underestimated fan rage. But it's not like Sony didn't know what they were doing when they made that call, or decided to cut backwards compatibility without a valid reason.

Fair enough but for some people, that decision is definitely going to prevent sales. If the PS3 had been compatible with the PS2 games, I would own one at this point. But since they do not and it was the PS2 games that I wanted to play most, I went out and bought a used PS2 instead, which of course means that Sony got exactly no money from me.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Fair enough but for some people, that decision is definitely going to prevent sales. If the PS3 had been compatible with the PS2 games, I would own one at this point. But since they do not and it was the PS2 games that I wanted to play most, I went out and bought a used PS2 instead, which of course means that Sony got exactly no money from me.

PS3 plays PS2 games... just certain versions. I bought a PS2 playable version myself since it was important enough.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:

PS3 plays PS2 games... just certain versions. I bought a PS2 playable version myself since it was important enough.

Pretty much this, save up some money to buy a 60gig wifi model that has backwards compatibly from amazon, ebay or game-stop. You can upgrade the memory using any standard sata HDD "I've got a 500gb in mine" and you'll be set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a good move for Sony. A single-board computer with those components developed without the constraints of the archaic PC architecture will be quite a decent piece of hardware for the usual lifespan of a console. It will be easier hardware for developers to work with, too.

Don't care about the social networking, cloud and streaming features, but a good deal of that already exists through PlayStation Home and PlayStation Plus. If this is indeed what many people want, then selling it to them is not a bad idea, though I am concerned that the network infrastructure in the USA isn't good enough to support what Sony has in mind.

What bothers me more than anything is the new PS4 controller. I already have trouble using a standard PS/PS2/PS3 controller. Later PS3 games tend to overload the buttons (multiple functions) and my old hands just can't keep up. The PS4 controller frankly looks like a potential nightmare to use.

Never expected backwards compatibility; that's why I have a spare PS2. Whether I ever buy a PS4 will depend on whether there is ever a JRPG released for it that I really, really want to play more than I want to replay one on the PS, PS2 or PSP. I've yet to buy a Vita; I don't really expect to buy a PS4. I bought a PS3 to have a BD player and for Star Ocean: The Last Hope (which was kind of disappointing) and have only bought a few more games for it.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Why is everyone complaining about backwards compatibility? If you have PS3 games you want to play, clearly you have PS3s...just use that. It's easy. Heck I've had no problems going back to the PS2 when I want to play those games.

And wasn't the original PS3's backwards compatibility a factor in why it was so expensive? PS4 is going to be fairly expensive as is, lets not add to that price.

That said, PS4 looks pretty decent but I won't be jumping on it right away. Once a Kingdom Hearts or Persona comes out on it, then, well, I'll be obligated.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
I just want to point out, check your facts before spouting something idiotic like "hurr hurr only 8GB of RAM".

The RAM is DDR5. Not DDR2 or 3 etc.

The specs really are quite nice.

The 8GBs of DDR5 means the console won't be $400. $500-550 is the pricing point if their lucky to get B.O.M at $300. Sony CANNOT afford anymore losses, their on the verge of bankrupcy anyway.

Spec wise, not too shabby. Just a mid range 2010 PC.

And the PS4 name is actually a trojan horse, what Sony isn't telling people is that the console will mostly be Cloud computing machine,(Meaning On-Live on steroids.)

Get ready for lotsa network crashing,data caps,slow bandwidth,storage limits, and half-assed DRM.

And Diablo 3? Also coming to PS3 and universally HATED by PC fans? No thanks. Not for no DAMN $70(if PS4 uses BD media)
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I'm glad I wasn't expecting to be too excited by the PS4 release, because I'm not. This could change if it ends up getting some good exclusive games but given that this only happened recently with the PS3 (which I do plan to finally buy), I'm not going to hold me breath too much on that.

I don't have the internet connection to support all the streaming and stuff, though if I did I would use it. I do definitely agree that it's a mistake not to have backwards compatibility with the physical discs though because that's why I will be buying the PS3, not the PS4. However, given that the PS3 was pretty much never compatible with the PS2, I am not surprised.

I'll save my money to get the Wii U and the bloody Xbox 720 (assume that is what it will be called), the latter of which I'll actually have to buy near launch because of Dragon Age 3.
Xbox O will be using a AMD Radeon HD 8000 series GPU, which hasn't even been released yet.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
For those people wondering about the used-game market and didn't bother to read bleachj0j's post; yes, discs will be playable on more than one PS4, which means you will still be able to sell your discs (and buy second-hand), plus lend your games to your mates.

DavidShallcross wrote:
Please explain.

I already have. According to Sony, the internal hardware of the PS4 will be different to the PS3. And if you think that is obvious, we're talking about going from Sony-designed and built parts to more PC-like components. Even though both the PS3 and PS4 have Blu-Ray, the PS3 games won't play on a PS4 because the PS3 games will be trying to use hardware of a completely different nature. Sony plans to use Gaikai or emulation to allow indirect backwards compatibility.

Hagaren Viper wrote:
Why is everyone complaining about backwards compatibility? If you have PS3 games you want to play, clearly you have PS3s...just use that. It's easy. Heck I've had no problems going back to the PS2 when I want to play those games.

Oh come on. It's foolish to expect whiny morons to be so reasonable and logical as to use the consoles they already have to play the games they already have. No, everything has to be backwards compatible, even when it doesn't need to be.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
The 8GBs of DDR5 means the console won't be $400. $500-550 is the pricing point if their lucky to get B.O.M at $300.

I believe it will. I'm guessing the console's price will be $399 or there will be several units, starting from $299 and scaling up from there.

If there's one thing Sony did learn, it's that releasing consoles at a $700 price point is stupid economics, especially when there wasn't any first rate titles ready to go for it.

Sony blundered big time, and while the PS3 did manage to "make it", it took far too long.

This repeat will pretty much remove Sony from the game console market.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
An x86 processor. Heavens, that will make it easier to emulate the system in twenty years' time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:

And wasn't the original PS3's backwards compatibility a factor in why it was so expensive? PS4 is going to be fairly expensive as is, lets not add to that price.

In my case, I wanted to play PS2 games but did not have a PS2. And getting the specific PS3 that was backwards compatible was going to be a heck of lot more trouble than finding a used PS2 was. Plus, backwards compatibility means there are already a lot more games your system can play at launch. So yeah, it's not necessary for some of the market but, as I think this thread clearly shows, there is a fair amount of the market who has come to at least want the compatibility or even expect it (at least of the other companies ... more on that below).

And the price argument is BS. Nintendo makes their systems backwards compatible and so does Microsoft. None of their consoles cost even close to what the PS3 once did. So even if it has an effect on the PS3's price, it's certainly not the only reason, nor is it likely the main one (I would suspect the Bluray technology had a lot more to do with it than anything else, since for such a long time the PS3 was the cheapest Bluray player on the market, but I really don't know).
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:

Not everyone has the space or HDMI room to have many systems hooked up at one time. I bought a PS3 that plays PS2 games specifically so I could clean up some my space since I wouldn't have been able to fit both systems at the same time.

Sure, I could move and rehook them over and over again... but its just nicer and more convenient to have them all playable on one system. And when Sony is promoting how "Convenient" PS4 is, its silly they remove one of the most convenient parts of a system.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
As much as we all want backwards compatibility, it's almost certainly not feasible. Emulation is horribly inefficient--emulating Gamecube and PS2 games on a PC was impossible for even the best gaming comp until recently, and it's still impossible to emulate PS360 games. The PS4 is probably just not powerful enough to emulate the PS3.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7