Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Last Days of Bandai Entertainment USA


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
guildmaster



Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 348
Location: Hot & Humid FL
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
guildmaster wrote:

The irrefutable fact remains that large anime distribution and / or licensing companies have or are closing their doors here in the US. They don't do that when they are making money.


I find it funny that you say this on the response topic to a podcast regarding an anime licensing company that was, in fact, making money (or, at least, able to survive & not be losing money), yet closed their doors because of something uncontrollable on their side (i.e. Japanese owners).


They got their doors closed for them. The corporate leaders in Japan aren't going to tell us why, but it all comes down to money in the end.

agila61 wrote:
You mean free streaming as opposed to paid streaming? Maybe ten I think ~ I saw Baccano and the first year and a half of Bleach on Hulu ad streaming (though Hulu Plus streams with ads as well, so its harder to pin that down), and watched a lot of Funimation's noitaminA streams on YouTube when they were doing that, before they got their subscription service onto Roku. Before I got into streaming, it was mostly on Netflix ~ I normally had a three DVD at a time subscription with one on the way, one in the DVD player and one on the way back.


And I suppose you never copied any of those rented DVDs, and never saved to your HDD any streaming videos.... I support what I like to watch by buying it, but I refuse to over pay for something that is not in the format i want.

agila61 wrote:
I never said I would be in that market for $200 per broadcast series sets, now did I?... ...Yeah, whatever, the fact remains that rather than discuss the issue on its merits you preferred to "challenge" me on whether I was a core member of the market that I was talking about. The characterization started out as "infantile", but that would have been unfair ~ that shifting the argument to a head-to-head challenge when discussing the issue on its merits becomes either too hard or too tedious is more a young male teen-to-twenties kind of reaction.


In the end you are espousing a business model as being potentially successful when you admit that you will not support it. And you then go on to state that what you do not financially support is a good business model.

Quote:
The irrefutable fact remains that large anime distribution and / or licensing companies have or are closing their doors here in the US. They don't do that when they are making money.


agila61 wrote:
Yes, which is why firms are experimenting with different strategies to see what works well with what kind of titles... ...By definition, but the question is always "what is overpriced" for which title... ...And after going through the titles that can sell at volumes to justify a dub (and nothing that I have said would suggest that titles should not be dubbed if they can sell at a volume to pay back a dub), the Japanese licensor adopting a policy of insisting on a dub would be a financial strategy of "leave money on the table".


Where did I ever state that companies had to make dubbed versions. I stated that they were not getting my $$ if they don't. That is, of course, if I even like the particular title / series in the first place.

agila61 wrote:
(1) For some of those titles, clearly premium priced sub-only released are likely to make more money for the parent companies in Japan than the alternatives. Now, they can't be "overpriced" ~ a series that would be a successful LE release at $150 for a broadcast season but not at $200 should not be priced at $200.


I'm not talking about what companies choose to try and sell in Japan. Its the US market I have always been referring to .

agila61 wrote:
Except anime is a niche market, and there's only a modest amount of market research that can be funded by the prospective returns. But they could surely afford enough market research to determine that, yes, the anime market is a niche market, and tackling it as if it is or could be a mass mainstream market would be a fool's errand.


It doesn't take an army and $1 billion to conduct effective research. And continuing to pursue a sub only high priced strategy for US sales is going to backfire or cause a spike in piracy, or both.

For me, and for many older fans I surmise, anime is a mere diversion from the often stress filled day to day grind. As such it's is not going to consume more than a small portion of my time or money, but at least I'm willing to buy something that I like, and if it is in the format (language) and price that I will tolerate.

If you don't like the facts, you can always fill out one of these and return it Wink





And people wonder why the Chinese are eating our lunch...


Last edited by guildmaster on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist



Joined: 01 May 2011
Posts: 3258
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:58 am Reply with quote
Guildmaster, how old are you? You've been acting like an unpleasant fifteen-year-old, but I might be being generous.

guildmaster wrote:
And people wonder why the Chinese are eating our lunch...


Because they have inadequate understanding of the country and their perception is colored by nationalist paranoia?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
guildmaster



Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 348
Location: Hot & Humid FL
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Guildmaster, how old are you? You've been acting like an unpleasant fifteen-year-old, but I might be being generous.


You are being overly generous. While I have been called arrogant and intolerant, I've never really been called unpleasant, that's your opinion, and we all know the saying on opinions; like a certain part of the anatomy, everyone has one. BTW who nominated you to be the thread Gestapo?

"I’m pretty sure that I’m usually wrong. "

You should take your own words into account more often before bloviating so much that Bill O"Reilly himself will have to step into the forum. You can always fill out the form above if you feel the need. I haven't been accused of being 15 for quite some either.

On the other hand, like you I also have a couple of felt hats, but I hardly ever wear them. They have this on them:



Of course, mine are not tarnished.

Lastly, it appears that my (rhetorical) question (about the Chinese) flew over at 50,000 ft.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey



Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 2173
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
RobertNapton wrote:
As for the future, after reading some of the comments, I'd like to make the analogy that President Obama was re-elected because his campaign did a better job on the GROUND in the battleground states. More people knocking on more doors. The R1 US anime market cannot be salvaged without a dedicated ground effort, which cannot be accomplished by manufacturing discs in Japan with subs and dubs and importing them long distance with no one here speaking on their behalf. Aniplex is succeeding at the moment because they have a US based group heading up their North American effort. I would hope in some form or fashion, Bandai Japan realizes that this is the best strategy for the US market because I believe it's the only way to really accomplish the goal of selling more DVD and Blu-ray product in the R1 market, which is the understandable goal of any company.


I'd say Aniplex is succeeding in part because they struck it lucky with severely popular titles like Madoka and the Monogatari series, and will repeat that success shortly with Sword Art Online. BVUSA was never going to move thousands of discs of Galaxy Angel Rune or Super Robot Wars at similar prices.

As far as having a ground effort, isn't everything still up Japan no matter how hard you try or make noise?

The durarara blurays actually sold well, as did bakemonogatari, nise not anywhere close at this point, madoka of course sold, as will sword art. The thing that really sells and people ignore though are the $50 baccano blurays. the oreimo dvds also sell, the bluray though kinda like fate/zero is not going anywhere. and if all the problems in production of garden of sinners and sending out the replacement discs for the first movie, they probably lost money on them even though they sold fine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group