• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lots of proof why Doraemon is banned in the U.S.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonghyunchung

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
As far as most fans should be concerned, Doraemon is practically banned in North America for several reasons:

1. When Viz Media, the licensor, reviewed the mangas in the first place, it turned out to have large amounts of crude humor and perverted moments, so they refused classification.

2. Same thing for the TV series. When I looked at many episodes, they appeared to have content that would be beyond inappropriate for younger viewers.

3. As a result for #1 and #2, Doraemon never aired in most English-speaking countries.

4. That meant the only way fans could watch Doraemon is by downloading the episodes. However, on November 2008, nearly ALL Doraemon videos were taken down from YouTube for copyright.

5. To today, there are NO Doraemon DVDs selling in the North American market.

Thus all of this proves why Doraemon is banned in the US.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Saying it is 'banned' in the US is asinine. Stop being a drama queen.

I'm not familiar with the specific situation surrounding Doraemon. However, even granting that all your premises are true, there is absolutely nothing banning it from the US. In no way are companies not allowed to release it here. They just choose not to because they don't think it's very marketable in North America.

It's no more 'banned' in the US that hundreds of other titles that were never licensed.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
If Doraemon is banned, then so is The Sensualist — to say nothing of the Doraemon–Sensualist crossover episode!
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
So shows like Elfen Lied are perfectly ok to sell in USA, yet Doraemon isn't because its inappropriate?

Laughing Try again.

Has the thought ever occurred to you that maybe it is due to lack of interest in the USA/Canada? It may be popular in Japan, but that doesn't mean it will be popular here if brought over.

I never watched the show nor have any interest in doing so. Not my cup of tea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rojse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Here's the premise of the show, from Wikipedia:

Quote:
A majority of Doraemon episodes are comedies with moral lessons regarding values such as integrity, perseverance, courage, family and respect for elders. Several noteworthy environmental issues are often visited, including homeless animals, global warming, endangered species, deforestation, and pollution. Miscellaneous educational topics such as dinosaurs, the flat Earth theory, wormhole traveling, Gulliver's Travels, and the history of Japan are often covered.

I honestly can't see this being the next Pokemon or Yugi-Oh.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
jonghyunchung wrote:
As far as most fans should be concerned, Doraemon is practically banned in North America for several reasons:

1. When Viz Media, the licensor, reviewed the mangas in the first place, it turned out to have large amounts of crude humor and perverted moments, so they refused classification.

2. Same thing for the TV series. When I looked at many episodes, they appeared to have content that would be beyond inappropriate for younger viewers.

3. As a result for #1 and #2, Doraemon never aired in most English-speaking countries.

4. That meant the only way fans could watch Doraemon is by downloading the episodes. However, on November 2008, nearly ALL Doraemon videos were taken down from YouTube for copyright.

5. To today, there are NO Doraemon DVDs selling in the North American market.

Thus all of this proves why Doraemon is banned in the US.

Banned? Highly unlikely because shows like When They Cry, Gantz are okay to sell in the US, then I doubt Doraemon will ever be banned.

The reason the show hasn't been licensed yet is because the companies that license anime (i.e. Funimation, Media Blasters, Bandai etc) might not think the show will sell well in the US and don't want to risk losing money on that.

Sure it might/was popular in Japan, but that doesn't mean it will be popular in US. Licensing anime is not cheap at all and to take a risk on a series that might not sell could easily bankrupt a company. It's happened before and there is always a chance it could happen again. Now and days, more and more anime companies are less likely to take a chance on a series that is less likely to sell in the US because of the money that won't return in revenue. Happened to Bandai USA with Lucky Star several years back.

It's unfortunate, but not every series can be licensed. With some series there are reasons with that. With others, there isn't. I am not sure which Doraemon falls into, but I am sure the reason the series hasn't been licensed is due to chance it might sell well in the US.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Even if what you said was true, this would not mean that Doraemon is "banned" in the U.S. If that were true then a ton of anime, which have been released in America, would have been "banned". Did you ever stop to think that maybe no one wanted to release it because it wouldn't be very marketable in the U.S.

Also there is absolutely no "proof" to support your claim. Your whole point hinges on the "fact" that Viz licensed the manga series and then canceled it because of content. But as of yet I have been able to find absolutely no evidence to support this. The only thing that mentions this a sentence on the Doraemon wiki page that has a footnote reading "citation needed", that's not a very reliable piece of evidence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I think people like to think that things are banned in the U.S., and for puritanical reasons. Cf. the widespread belief that a R1 release of Omohide Poro Poro was nixed by Disney because of that film's treatment of menstruation.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sure it might/was popular in Japan

It was and is popular in Japan.

The real reason Doraemon is banned in the US is because broadcasters fear Nike, Reebok, and other big names will pull their advertisement money because the kids in Doraemon frequently don't have shoes on. Wink

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonghyunchung

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
If that were true then a ton of anime, which have been released in America, would have been "banned".

Exactly, just like Kirby Right Back at Ya! was banned back in October 2009. The company that dubbed this anime actually no longer held the license, causing the only way to watch the TV series is by downloading from the internet. The anime was also formerly viewable via Everyone's Theater Channel on the Wii. However, it appears that those are now out of print. So, as a result, the Kirby anime would also be banned (practically worldwide) until further notice, when it gets lifted and therefore become marketable again.
batou37

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I think you are confusing "banned" with "not licensed for distribution".....
On a side note "Banned in the USA" was a pretty good 2 live crew song back in the day when I was a kid...
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Doraemon isn't licensed because Anime companies know that it'll tank (i.e. Shin Chan and Sgt. Frog).

There's no such thing as a banned Anime in the States.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
jonghyunchung wrote:
Mushi-Man wrote:
If that were true then a ton of anime, which have been released in America, would have been "banned".

Exactly, just like Kirby Right Back at Ya! was banned back in October 2009. The company that dubbed this anime actually no longer held the license, causing the only way to watch the TV series is by downloading from the internet. The anime was also formerly viewable via Everyone's Theater Channel on the Wii. However, it appears that those are now out of print. So, as a result, the Kirby anime would also be banned (practically worldwide) until further notice, when it gets lifted and therefore become marketable again.

No no no, you don't seem to understand what I was saying. It's absurd to think that Doraemon was "banned" because of it's content when far more inappropriate titles are released, distributed, and even broadcaster without any problems.

I don't think you're quite getting what "banned" means. Doraemon wasn't/isn't banned, it was simply never licensed in the first place. And Kirby just isn't in print. That doesn't mean that these titles are banned, just that companies aren't distributing them because they don't feel that it would be an investment that is worth it in the end.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
The problem with Doraemon is itself. The reason why Doraemon is not likely to be popular anywhere else than Japan, is because it has poor form. Not saying it's bad, it's just that it's too recognized as something that's easily accessible to any Japanese person. So much so that even they will vastly exaggerate it's appeal to anyone that's not Japanese, and take that for granted. It's filled with cultural references, in-jokes, crude humor, plus it's the anime anyone in Japan can watch without being labeled an anime fan. NONE of those translate to success in other countries. Sure there are plenty of people around the world who are fans of it and love it, but all those people initially overcame or happened to not be turned off by its generic-cartoon-image and found their own attachment to it. But just because you can't find it in your local video store wont lead anyone to entertain your fit about it being banned.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
jonghyunchung wrote:
Mushi-Man wrote:

Okay...just for the sake of argument, what group or organization exactly is it that you believe has 'banned' these shows? What I'm asking is, who exactly makes the decision that a show is to be banned and why exactly do they do this?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3