• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Classic Arrangements

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
To clarify I could give a flying flip about Lesbians or Gays. My issue that this group gets a free pass while other alternatives like incest, polygamy etc. are censored to hell. This is not a shot at atlus per se, but at the game industry in general. The mobile light force games are another set of games that got butchered due to taboo elements.

Homophobia, that's laughable. Two of my dads friends are gay, and I see them all the time. I like Zachary Quinto an openly gay actor, and Elton John is one of my favorite musicians. My issue is not with a man liking a man or a women a women, my issue is that this is a contrary to the norm situation as would be incest, but one is seen a good and the other as bad, when in a rationale setting they are completely the same. And no scientifically speaking kids of incest as long as its not continuously incest are not much more likely to develop genetic problems than kids between unrelated parties.

Fact is its not a terribly good game to begin with and the yuri elements was just an excuse to pass on it. Oh no look someone does not like something, lets develop labels to categorize them because they do not agree with our opinion. I made no negative comment on the that group, merely voiced an opinion on it. Honestly I am more apathetic towards homosexuality which would not make me fall under the definition of homphobia. Then again I did make the comment to see what kind of half assed responses I would get from this message board. All it did was confirm the hypocrisy of society today. And probably the saddest thing is the Yuri elements were only thrown in there to get in some extra guy players, not as some shining declaration on homosexuality. Its ironic in the sense you are defending the inclusion when its being included for a negative reason. But that would require some of you to [insult removed].

[Mod Edit: Interesting post, and I do mean that. You lay out your arguments pretty well, but we can do without the personal attack that you decided to close it with. As the rules state, you are free to disagree with others and debate, but you are expected to do so respectfully. - Keonyn]
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
To clarify I could give a flying flip about Lesbians or Gays. My issue that this group gets a free pass while other alternatives like incest, polygamy etc. are censored to hell. This is not a shot at atlus per se, but at the game industry in general. The mobile light force games are another set of games that got butchered due to taboo elements.

Yeah...no.

Not only was your reasoning dumb just in general, your attempt to cover for it has just made you look even worse.
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
My issue is not with a man liking a man or a women a women, my issue is that this is a contrary to the norm situation as would be incest, but one is seen a good and the other as bad, when in a rationale setting they are completely the same.

I would just like to say that this is the most AMAZING post I have ever seen on a message board in all my years of being on message boards.
Please, keep up the good work. We all love you.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
[TitanXL: have you played Bioshock Infinite? I suppose if one considers stuff along the lines of Mad Men in terms of showing the darkest elements of a time period and dealing with quantum mechanics to be "Hollywood" then you and I must be dealing with a very different Hollywood.

Yeah, and I found it disappointing the first two games were so much better than it. They really dumbed the game down with regenerating shields, a two weapon system, only a fraction of plasmids that were in the original game, nowhere near as many or interesting upgrades.. which is a shame because it's not like the first two were hard or anything to begin with.

Quote:
cecil: Heavy Rain is filled with way too many plotholes, moronic character behavior, a revelation that contradicts the whole story

Heavy Rain did had a pretty stupid twist that made no sense, but it's not like Bioshock Infinite didn't do that either. The whole ending is one huge time paradox and doesn't make much sense in the end either. Though at least Infinite was an actual game, while Heavy Rain was just a movie with a series of quick-time events. Though I suspect that might be a good reason to suggust it to a film critic or non-video game player to give it a shot because it is essentially a movie.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
To clarify I could give a flying flip about Lesbians or Gays.

And yet its your reason for refusing to buy a game.

Quote:
My issue that this group gets a free pass while other alternatives like incest, polygamy etc. are censored to hell. This is not a shot at atlus per se, but at the game industry in general. The mobile light force games are another set of games that got butchered due to taboo elements.

If its an industry-wide problem, boycotting one company isn't going to make a difference anyway. Especially when its a game that simply never had it to begin with (as far as I've heard). If they left the homosexual undertones in but removed the incest, then you'd have ground to stand on. But when one game has A and you're angry about other games from other companies having B censored, that's a pretty nonsensical position and action to take.

It's almost as if you're looking for an excuse not to buy a game with gay people in it. And from what I've heard, its apparently only subtext only anyway, which is what it basically always is in Japanese games, much to my irritation.

Quote:

Homophobia, that's laughable. Two of my dads friends are gay, and I see them all the time. I like Zachary Quinto an openly gay actor, and Elton John is one of my favorite musicians.

This is an even dumber version of the "I have a black friend so I couldn't possibly be racist" routine.

Quote:

Oh no look someone does not like something, lets develop labels to categorize them because they do not agree with our opinion.

Boy, sure is funny that when someone says something that reeks of homophobia they get accused of being homophobic.

Quote:

Then again I did make the comment to see what kind of half assed responses I would get from this message board.

I believe that's called "trolling".

Quote:

And probably the saddest thing is the Yuri elements were only thrown in there to get in some extra guy players, not as some shining declaration on homosexuality.

See, if you had actually bothered to to make a point like this in the first place, you probably wouldn't have gotten accused of this. But of course, as you just admitted, that was just what you wanted.

Quote:

Its ironic in the sense you are defending the inclusion when its being included for a negative reason. But that would require some of you to [insult removed].

Ahahahaha, that's funny.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL: Um, I thought the game was harder than the first two. The shield wasn't as useful as having First-Aid-Kit reserves, having only two weapons made combat more tricky, and the plasmids felt just as varied as the first two. Also, the enemy AI definitely felt improved.

Except Bioshock Infinite's ending works with all the set-up to it. Pay attention to the audio recordings (and make sure you look for them, if you just ignore them you won't understand everything), the things the Luteces talk about, etc. It's all there, and virtually all supposed plot holes have been addressed on the forums. The game becomes even more brilliant on multiple playthroughs as you see all the puzzle pieces you never would have noticed before.

I would think most movie critics who never have played video games would turn Heavy Rain off the minute the infamous "JASON!" scream occurs. On constrast, Bioshock Infinite's voice acting is simply incredible, especially helped that Troy Baker (Booker) and Courtnee Draper (Elizabeth) worked with Ken Levine throughout the entire development of the script which helped add their attachment to the characters and story. In the full version of "Will the Circle Be Unbroken", you can hear real emotion in Courtnee's voice as she sings, it's absolutely fantastic.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Then again I did make the comment to see what kind of half assed responses I would get from this message board.

So... you're saying you're not a bigot, you're just a troll? Is that better?

Seriously now, homosexuality =/= incest. Or bestiality, pedophilia, or any other bullsh*t straw man homophobes love to hold it up to. If you really don't care about homosexuality (but continue to insist that homosexuality it's an "alternative lifestyle choice" - you know, the same way you decided to be heterosexual one day), why not compare it to nudism, pvc fetishists, body modificiation enthusiasts, infantilists, cuckolds, autoerotic asphyxiators, or any other sexual "alternative" which are perfectly legal and not currently under both legal scrutiny or the subject of organized moral outrage? [I'm done with this train of thought now. Promise.]

belvadeer wrote:
Yeah I know all that, but what I mean is what it with the notion of "dark and gritty" that garners so much attraction? Just what do others see in it? I was speaking rhetorically.

It's mostly because "Mature" material - which is, often enough, confused for offensively juvenile material with a big "parental guidance" sticker slapped on top - is mostly a way for a fairly large demographic to willfully ignore just how frivolous and fundamentally immature their chosen distractions are. Mediums that are traditionally thought of as for children - comics, cartoons and video games more than any other - are put through the "grim 'n' gritty" wringer to convince their now older fans that grew up on it that it's still okay to like the same toys they remember from their youth, even if they're filing taxes and changing diapers and wearing a suit these days. Nostalgia's a powerful force, and essentially telling someone that their favorite childhood franchise 'grew up' with them is a pretty great way to convince adults to keep throwing money at a franchise the original target demographic no longer holds any interest in.

Batman's all the rage these days, right? Heck, he has been for the better part of a quarter century! And part of what made him a fully bankable Hollywood icon (and thus a larger, more mainstream one) was the fact that the comics themselves had shifted away from the campy appeal that he had been known for in the days of the syndicated TV show. Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns had painted an apocalyptic vision of Batman's possible future as being a jaded, sociopathic, borderline fascist force in a Gotham City that was basically one giant raised middle finger to the Raegan era it was written during. Batman wasn't just being marketed to tweens marching to the magazine racks with change in their pockets; he was being re-tooled to suit the tastes the adults who had fond memories of the comics and the Adam West TV show to reflect their more cynical views and penchant for the period's cinematic excess. In this instance, the shift paid off; adults were no longer ashamed to buy Batman comics, and the very notion of a "comic store" exists specifically because DC shifted gears in a way that made former fanboys feel comfortable about coming out of the nerd closet.

Of course, a lot of writers who want to re-create this [Nostalgia + R-Rated Content = SUCCESS] formula forget that TDKR (as a great example) was actually good, on top of being shocking - it was a smart, biting deconstruction of the typical do-gooder superhero dynamic that took its brutal snark all the way to its devastating, logical conclusion, potential future continuity be damned. A lot of people who try to channel the same thing just think "Sex, gore, F-words and lots of heavy ink! Same thing, right?" (Even Frank Miller himself fell for his own puply shtick, intentionally or not...)

Back to Vidjahgames, where this nonsense is all to relevant: For all the bitching long time fans made about the dramatic aesthetic overhaul, DMC: Devil May Cry was a critical success and a massive seller. So was Tomb Raider, though you wouldn't know it based on Square-Enix's lukewarm grumbling about how 3.5 million copies in one week didn't meet projected numbers. Not every reboot is a success (hello, Bionic Commando and Bomber Man!) - but then not all of those reboots are good games, either. Brand recognition helps and all that, but if you shovel out a steaming pile, it won't take too long for anyone who was on the fence to hear about it.

And for all the cringing I do looking at what might have been, odds are the "Maverick Hunter" MMX reboot trilogy would have sold well and kept the Mega Man name relevant once those charming little retro platformer games were through. I'd have bought the damned things myself, if for no other reason than to see Mega Man X play out as a canonically inverted tragedy, which would have been - if nothing else - the most interesting thing to happen to the Blue Bomber in the last decade or so.

And since I forgot to mention it, I loved me some God Hand, which I haven't touched in a dog's age. I actually wish the "official" Dynasty Warriors/Fist of the North Star brawler game had played a little more like that...
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:22 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Though I suspect that might be a good reason to suggust it to a film critic or non-video game player to give it a shot because it is essentially a movie.

A terrible movie, which if you show it to any serious film critic as an example of games as art will only cement their impression of video games as irredeemable kitschy garbage worshipped by culturally illiterate morons.

Not that BioShock is all that much better as far as being the fabled Serious and Mature Video Game for Mature People Such As Myself (HEY GUYZ DID YOU KNOW THAT OBJECTIVISM AND THEOCRATIC FASCISM ARE DUMB IT'S TRUE, ALSO MAGIC SLUGS AND WORMHOLES), but hey. Baby steps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
LOL, reminds me that I still never finished Maniac Mansion! (No walkthroughs.) I think that's the longest I haven't finished a game since it took me a good decade to beat X-Com! Laughing

Many games are "turning Hollywood" seems that Ebert could had checked out. FF13 is a movie. Visual novels are pretty much slideshow movies in subtitles (not much interactive there). Besides, FPS usually requires good fast hand-eye-mind coordination that most people can't keep up.

dtm42 wrote:

Perhaps it was a bit tasteless for some gamers to immediately mention hours after his passing that they weren't sad that he's gone. But they didn't actually owe him any respect, and so little was offered.

People, particularly Asians, did mention Space Batteship Yamato's Yoshinobu Nishizaki after his death by drowning that he's a goddamn jingoist.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:

Back to Vidjahgames, where this nonsense is all to relevant: For all the bitching long time fans made about the dramatic aesthetic overhaul, DMC: Devil May Cry was a critical success and a massive seller.

actually...it was a financial BOMB. Even after two months it hasn't shown up on CAPCOM's official page for million-sellers, thus completely failing in its mission to supposedly expand the franchise. It not only failed to top 4 as the highest-selling entry, it is now the LOWEST-selling entry in the entire series.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Though I suspect that might be a good reason to suggust it to a film critic or non-video game player to give it a shot because it is essentially a movie.

A terrible movie, which if you show it to any serious film critic as an example of games as art will only cement their impression of video games as irredeemable kitschy garbage worshipped by culturally illiterate morons.

Not that BioShock is all that much better as far as being the fabled Serious and Mature Video Game for Mature People Such As Myself (HEY GUYZ DID YOU KNOW THAT OBJECTIVISM AND THEOCRATIC FASCISM ARE DUMB IT'S TRUE, ALSO MAGIC SLUGS AND WORMHOLES), but hey. Baby steps.

Hahaha. That was my response to all the "games aren't art, eh? Well how about a little game called Bioshock Infinite!"

And I said "yeah if a movie had wasted that much potential and thrown away a potentially interesting commentary on American extremism in favor of confused, lame sci-fi cop-out shit at the end, featuring zero fleshed-out or interesting characters, it'd have been panned too".

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game, but I wonder if the people championing the storytelling in those games as some kind of modern artistic miracle have ever actually seen a good movie or read a good book.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
DoctorDoom85 wrote:
TitanXL: Um, I thought the game was harder than the first two. The shield wasn't as useful as having First-Aid-Kit reserves, having only two weapons made combat more tricky, and the plasmids felt just as varied as the first two. Also, the enemy AI definitely felt improved.

Well I found it easier but maybe that's just me. I also found it a bit easy how if you ran low on ammo/money/salt Elizabeth would conveniently throw you ammo/money/salt when you needed it. Or you can just warp in ammo/health crates. Also how in the previous games you had to guard a Little Sister and it could actually die, but Elizibeth is invulnerable and enemies will ignore her. It just seemed like overall less of a challenge.

DomonX2 wrote:
Also, XL, you're a hypocrite. You were upset that people disliked Dante's new design for shallow reasons, yet you have you're doubts about this new Mega Man game, because it's not like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIP8S0iPCmU

I'm going to ignore the rest of your bait and just point out DmC is still the same genre and type of game as it's predecessors. Over-the-top hack-and-slashers with silly dialog and etcetera. Now if they turned Devil May Cry into a dead-pan serious FPS game, then yeah, that'd be a bit odd.

gatotsu911 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Hey, I didn't say it was a good example, just a good/more appropriate reason for people who would probably be bad at games.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seriously now, homosexuality =/= incest.

I have seriously seen someone on this board claim that they were the same. And he was rooting FOR incest.

Also, have you never spoken to imouto fans? A shitload of them act like incest is this perfectly normal thing and that it's just like homosexuality and therefore should be legal. There was a bunch of crazies on TvTropes like that.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
actually...

Oh, crap. I mixed up "2 Million projected" with "2 Million sold". So... yeah, never mind. DMC was a pretty bad idea all 'round. Shocked

Chagen46 wrote:
Also, have you never spoken to imouto fans? A shitload of them act like incest is this perfectly normal thing and that it's just like homosexuality and therefore should be legal. There was a bunch of crazies on TvTropes like that.

The basic problem is that when the word itself comes up, people instantly assume it's a Klaus Kinski situation... and, honestly, that's kind of why those laws are in place, to prevent people from exploiting the people they legally (and morally) are there to protect and support.

That said, I think laws restricting the notion any two consenting adults can legally have intercourse with each other is... pretty trucked up. I feel the same way about laws against infidelity, and various labeling given to sodomy.

I also firmly believe most people with Sibling Complexes don't actually have siblings - and even if they do, they probably don't react to them the same way they do a moe personification of what they merely wished a sibling was.

Last edited by Kakugo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

PS2 on PSN: Honestly, they could stand to try a little harder and put better PS2 games on the PSN. The first Atelier Iris for example, as well as Dark Cloud 2, which was highly praised and is still one of the best games from the that era.

Regarding PS2 on PSN - Atlus USA made an interesting comment. Supposedly, games need to be compatible with the PS2 emulator SONY is using.

From - http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/10/devil-summoner-soul-hackers-interview-on-the-missing-megaten-game/

Quote:

In terms of getting a PS2 Classics release, we hear that it’s a matter of getting the PS3’s emulator updated. This only happens a few times a year and it’s not yet compatible with the version of the PS2 software the Devil Summoner series was created with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4