• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim to Begin One Piece with Episode 207 on May 18

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
This show needs to be shown more than once a week for it to work. Toonami, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD expand! Plus, 1am is way too late to watch something that most haven't seen in years. Besides, the first several story arcs have never been shown on US TV, unless you count the 4Kids version, but that hardly counts.

Toonami can't just expand. They have the timeslot they've got and they have to work with it. If people want it to expand, they have to support it and tell Adult Swim they want more.
Landstander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
This show needs to be shown more than once a week for it to work. Toonami, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD expand! Plus, 1am is way too late to watch something that most haven't seen in years. Besides, the first several story arcs have never been shown on US TV, unless you count the 4Kids version, but that hardly counts.

This is exactly what I mean. Naruto gets a restart because it is uncut, but uncut One Piece has never aired in the U.S.

If you are going to argue AVAILABILITY as a reason not to air the older episodes, Hulu has 460 episodes. Why don't we start at 461?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Naruto; maybe the reason Naruto restarted because they only have the rights to 'Naruto' and not 'Naruto Shippuden'? Just a thought. Also maybe Naruto just got better ratings than One Piece did so it's a safer bet to air a sure-fire ratings grabber than a maybe

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Besides, the first several story arcs have never been shown on US TV, unless you count the 4Kids version, but that hardly counts.

Like it or not, they count. Granted they should start back at 167 since that was the last episode aired on US TV (according to wiki), but that's in the middle of the Skypeia arc so I guess they figure the start of the next arc (sorta) is the next best place.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
TheGameNinja wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Toonami can't just expand. They have the timeslot they've got and they have to work with it. If people want it to expand, they have to support it and tell Adult Swim they want more.

Not just [adult swim], but Cartoon Network in general. I much preferred it when Toonami came on 3-4pm (the exact time varied). Besides, anime doesn't necessarily "need" the Toonami brand to be on Cartoon Network. Shows like One Piece got good ratings in their 8pm Saturday night broadcast. I wonder how they'd be when shown in normal hours (though shows like Naruto would get even BETTER ratings), and Pokemon does well for Cartoon Network (granted it's on early Saturday mornings with the rest of CN's action programming). Thank god for Nick (the real Nick) showing Digimon Fusion.

LandStander wrote:
This is exactly what I mean. Naruto gets a restart because it is uncut, but uncut One Piece has never aired in the U.S.

I guess it's because Cartoon Network showed all of the original Naruto (except for the last 9 episodes), and they're just going to the beginning. This would still confuse the heck out of the people unfamiliar with One Piece, as well as those whose only experience of the first several story arcs being the botched 4Kids version.

Titan_XL wrote:
Like it or not, they count. Granted they should start back at 167 since that was the last episode aired on US TV (according to wiki), but that's in the middle of the Skypeia arc so I guess they figure the start of the next arc (sorta) is the next best place.

I mostly want people I know to experience the "true" One Piece. I'm tired of hearing from people "I liked One Piece until the voices changed" without knowing they were watching an incredibly botched version with little connection to the original show.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Like I said before, if people wanted to experience the "true" One Piece, they've had five years to do so.
The voyages and collections are readily available in retail and online stores.
The subbed and dubbed episodes are also easily available online officially. There's really no excuse, especially considering how internet-savvy most anime fans are.
All it takes is a few seconds to google "One Piece" and boom!- it's there for you.

This is a "no hand-holding" zone.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Of course, it just has to be a night I work. Sad

Actually I might be able to change that since classes will be over. Smile
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Whatever happened to a good ol' marathon? Blast that show at full strength.
To "blast" 206 thirty-minute episodes, you're talking about a four day, seven hour marathon. To do all 595 episodes ANN's encyclopedia list, it's take one week, five days, nine hours and thirty minutes.

Now, I don't know about you, but after the first quaterfortnight I tend to move on to other things(like sleep).

Why the hell hasn't One Piece ended yet? 595+ episodes is just too long! (I ditched it early in the Arlong arc. Baratie alone was too padded.)
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Polycell wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
To "blast" 206 thirty-minute episodes, you're talking about a four day, seven hour marathon. To do all 595 episodes ANN's encyclopedia list, it's take one week, five days, nine hours and thirty minutes.

Now, I don't know about you, but after the first quaterfortnight I tend to move on to other things(like sleep).

Why the hell hasn't One Piece ended yet? 595+ episodes is just too long! (I ditched it early in the Arlong arc. Baratie alone was too padded.)

Its one of the highest rated anime on TV and its movies break box office records. Its not going anywhere for at least another 10 years.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
Like I said before, if people wanted to experience the "true" One Piece, they've had five years to do so.
The voyages and collections are readily available in retail and online stores.
The subbed and dubbed episodes are also easily available online officially. There's really no excuse, especially considering how internet-savvy most anime fans are.
All it takes is a few seconds to google "One Piece" and boom!- it's there for you.

This is a "no hand-holding" zone.

I'm talking about the general public and regular "casual" fans who would likely only just watch it if it came on TV. Razz I still see/hear people that hardly acknowledge the uncut version's existence, as if the 4Kids version is all that's out there. It's very unfortunate that the average person in the US who has seen/heard of One Piece knows it through the 4Kids version (and maybe if they caught the tail end of it's run, a small bit of the edited FUNi version as well).
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Speaking of Naruto; maybe the reason Naruto restarted because they only have the rights to 'Naruto' and not 'Naruto Shippuden'? Just a thought. Also maybe Naruto just got better ratings than One Piece did so it's a safer bet to air a sure-fire ratings grabber than a maybe

They actually said it was because Shippuden is still in Disney's hands.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Polycell wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Because there's too many major plot threads and loose ends that need to be tied up.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

I'm talking about the general public and regular "casual" fans who would likely only just watch it if it came on TV. Razz I still see/hear people that hardly acknowledge the uncut version's existence, as if the 4Kids version is all that's out there. It's very unfortunate that the average person in the US who has seen/heard of One Piece knows it through the 4Kids version (and maybe if they caught the tail end of it's run, a small bit of the edited FUNi version as well).

Well, they mostly aren't aiming at the casual public who only wants to watch it on TV. They're aiming at the hardcore fanbase and the newcomers that are interested in the series that are willing to go online and/or buy the dvds.

The recaps/promos that Funimation are making are for the casual public.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Polycell wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Because there's too many major plot threads and loose ends that need to be tied up.

Well, why the hell must it take so goddamn long to wrap things up? Enough is enough, Oda!

Padding: The cancer that is killing shounen anime.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
That's not Oda's fault though. It's Japan's idiotic policy regarding long running shonen anime.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
That's not Oda's fault though. It's Japan's idiotic policy regarding long running shonen anime.

At least let them take season breaks like American TV shows!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5