• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Reimagined Fairy Tales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everapril

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Had me going there for a minute with the new poll - I was wondering what the heck a "clow" was. I thought it might be some drow like monster or something. Very Happy

Oh see, until I clicked through I assumed she was talking about Clow Cards. And I really thought about it like, "Scariest? I dunno, The Shadow or The Erase?" It did occur to me that it was an oddly specific question! Clowns made more sense, haha.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
With all this Little Red Riding Hood discussion, I remembered Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, which both relates the story directly (albeit in a form I'm not familiar with - Red needs to wear out iron shoes before being allowed to go visit her mother), and uses it as a framework to build its metaphors on.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
With all this Little Red Riding Hood discussion, I remembered Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, which both relates the story directly (albeit in a form I'm not familiar with - Red needs to wear out iron shoes before being allowed to go visit her mother), and uses it as a framework to build its metaphors on.

Cast iron shoes are used in one version of Snow White as a punishment but haven't heard of it in Red Riding Hood.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't either. Couldn't find anything back when I first watched the movie (I really wanted to know about those shoes!), but I found this discussion later on, which you might find interesting/informative.

From one response:
Quote:
Just found my answer in Yvonne Verdier's article, "Little Red Riding Hood in Oral Tradition" (English translation in Marvels & Tales, vol. 11 (1997): 101-23) today! Verdier cites several versions from oral traditional in which the protagonist is unnamed, but wears iron shoes or an iron dress. Just like the version I was tracing from the movie, the girl must wear out the shoes/dress before she can return to her mother/grandmother.

I also found this clip from the movie (dubbed in French) of one of the characters relating the story. The translation is in the notes below the video. It says "iron clothes" but I'm sure it was shoes in the English dub. Smile
Kohii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Kohii wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Kohii wrote:
Black Rabbit is up so high because people overrate "Problem Children". Also, it was a weak list of candidates, other than Usagi. Now, if the list had been "Favorite bunny... girl", then Mikuru would've taken the (carrot) cake.

Black Rabbit is a humorous, intelligent character. Mikuru is notably lacking in depth (and not actually a rabbit).

Lacking reading comprehension, are we? The only interesting part about Black Rabbit was the fact that Shiroyasha made it so her skirt would show as much of her legs as possible, without actually showing her panties. I thought that was very clever and funny. Other than that, zero development in that one-speed show.

How much of it have you actually watched? Also, your sarcasm's not appreciated.

Good thing I'm not looking for your appreciation. At any rate, I watched every episode. I enjoyed it. It was entertaining, predictable, and just long enough. I don't think I would've watched the whole thing if it had been a 24 episode show. Don't get me wrong, it was entertaining. Just nothing ground-breaking or challenging.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:18 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

Do you have any recommended physical copies of fairy tale collections that stay true to the original stories, rape allegories and all? I'd love to purchase some that haven't been edited down for content.

I like Maria Tatar's Annotated editions, which also include a lot of illustrations - The Annotated Brothers Grimm, The Annotated Hans Christian Andersen, and The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales, which has some Perrault and Arabian Nights tales. Jack Zipes translated a complete edition of the Brothers Grimm, which is overwhelming but excellent. Perrault is best read in the original French, but Dover Editions put out a bilingual edition with an excellent translation.

I have to teach; I'll finish this later. Very Happy
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
I see someone already commented on the lack of Ookamisan, so no need to belabor the point. Oops, I just did. Smile

By the way, what's a clow?
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese haven't been the only ones who've reinvented fairy tales and ancient myths. Hollywood's been doing this since it's very beginnings. Animation studios like Warner Brothers and Walt Disney done their own versions of the classic fairy tales. In the 1930's Disney did a updated version of some classic fairy tales. But,it's rarely been shown since then because of some very problematic portrayal of blacks. The short's been edited because of those portrayals but it's rarely been seen since.
A more recent version of this has been "Hoodwinked,"a modern-day update of those same fairy tales. It has a police investigation of what happened with Red Riding Hood. Disney did a child-friendly version of the Hercules myths during the 1990's with it's film "Hercules,"which would later spawn a tv series.

After reading about some of the myths like the ones that served as the basis of anime like "Ceres:Celestial Legend,"I wonder how Hollywood would have handled the same material. Also,it's a shame I never saw the end of "MAR,"when it was shown on Cartoon Network. I'd have like to have seen how it ended.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I can only think of maybe one show sort of does a change up in fairy tails. Folks can remember that show called Otogi-Jushi Akazukin aka Fairy Musketeers. Pretty much was a mix of smaller fairy tale pieces and characters. You have the main member of the trio Akazuki who is a musketeer but her name translates to "Little Red Riding Hood" due her colors and the fact that she when she first appeared she donned a red hood. You have another character called Shirayuki-hime which is Snow White, and Cendrillon the main villain the original spelling for the French libretto of Cinderella who's design plays on the whole antlion, sandlion deal. An antlion is a type desert fly who's has large jaws in it's larvae stage. Anyone who remembers FF4 knows the antlion, but that design is far from the actual thing. Who knew it was a real thing. There were quite few discussions on forums trying to figure out that play on the name. This eventually led me to look up the title to discover the source. Then there's Randagio the cat in the show who is a member of the famous trio of the Brehmen Town Musicians. The show had quite a bit of fun playing around with fairy tale characters. For a kid show it was quite entertaining. Though I would have liked to see more done with the OVA.

Another work you could try and pick is A Tree of Palme. It does play on the whole Pinocchio scenario but then it becomes it's own work. I've looked around at many reviews and numerous times Pinocchio comes up in the analysis but closer inspections allow for other elements that makes it more than just a carbon copy.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Dragonball was left off. Those characters are clearly from Journey To The West.

Snow Queen was somewhat re-imagined. It took the Andersen story and added material from other Andersen stories. And in the original story, Gerda never meets the Snow Queen.

Magi is based upon the Arabian Nights but seems to take place after the events of the stories.

If you want to look back to older anime, there was Saban's Adventures of the Little Mermaid or Ningyo Hime Marina no Boken. That took place after the original story.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
I'm so happy Mermaid Melody made the list! That's awesome! And yes, pedophilic Hisoka gets my vote as well.

wasn't surprised at all that Fruits Basket or Cress is on this list but MAR and Pretear? Really? Not to mention completely snubbing Fushigi Yugi when it should clearly be on this list along with Cress? though mermaid melody wasn't a surprise.

also hisoka is definitely a clown , but not scary at the least let alone an all time anime villain in history like a user have labeled him in a YouTube video.

nor was alan gabriel who shouldn't even get consideration. if it was the loon reporter Schawatzfal , then i would incline to agree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Another work you could try and pick is A Tree of Palme. It does play on the whole Pinocchio scenario but then it becomes it's own work. I've looked around at many reviews and numerous times Pinocchio comes up in the analysis but closer inspections allow for other elements that makes it more than just a carbon copy.

Yeah, like Pinocchio on acid and spoiler[he kills Bambi]!!

Snomaster1 wrote:
Also,it's a shame I never saw the end of "MAR,"when it was shown on Cartoon Network. I'd have like to have seen how it ended.

You're not alone, but CN only showed up to episode 52 (which you can still watch on Viz's website), and Viz dropped it after releasing the first 16 episodes on dvd.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
I'm surprised Dragonball was left off. Those characters are clearly from Journey To The West.

Eh, there could probably be a List just of Journey to the West references in anime. And another List of Romance of the Three Kingdoms ones.

And other than Pokemon, I can't think of an anime that needs less free press than Dragonball. Wink
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:36 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
The Japanese haven't been the only ones who've reinvented fairy tales and ancient myths. Hollywood's been doing this since it's very beginnings.

By their very folkloric nature, fairy tales are made to be retold and reinvented. (The Classic Fairy Tales from Norton, edited by Maria Tatar, is a good way to see that over time.) People complain that Disney co-opted the fairy tale, but in the late 1800s, British folklorist and fairy tale collector Joseph Jacobs complained that the Grimms had done the same thing - that children knew only the German versions of the tales and not their native fairy stories. Around the same time, 395 versions of the Cinderella story were collected from all over the world; the story is simply classified as AT-501A, Persecuted Heroines. (Okay, there's a bit more to it than that, but basically that's what it boils down to.) As a field, the study of fairy tales is fascinating because they keep getting retold; it's living literature.

Quote:
After reading about some of the myths like the ones that served as the basis of anime like "Ceres:Celestial Legend,"I wonder how Hollywood would have handled the same material.

The Secret of Roan Inish. The story Watase used is also known as the Selkie myth in Ireland and parts of Scotland. I can't speak to how good the film is now, but I liked it when I was younger. Smile

Anyway, some other good sources for early versions of fairy tales are Andrew Lang's so-called "colored fairy books" (blue, red, olive, etc), any adult publication of Joseph Jacobs' British/Celtic fairy tales, and Italo Calvino's collection of Italian folklore. For those interested in Little Red, who has come up a couple of times in this thread, check out Jack Zipes' The Trials and Tribulations of Little Red Riding Hood, which tracks retellings of the story over time. (There are similar books for Cinderella.)

There are a lot of good critical sources too; let me know if anyone's interested in titles. Clearly I could talk about this all day. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4