• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime over the past 6-7 years.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chapoelloko24

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Hey how's it going everybody... i'm one of probably many new guys on the forum so nice to meet you all and let's get down to business.

Well i've been an anime fan since i was a kid, i was born in the late 80's, i grew up watching a lot of classics such as DBZ, Saint Seiya, Ranma 1/2, just to mention a few (of course i watched them all in spanish since i grew up in Mexico). I didn't really get into it that much till my senior year in high school. I just wanted some personal opinions form you guys i mean who am i ti complain, i still enjoy anime now a days but back from 06 to 09 is it me? or were anime plots way more interesting than they are now?

I'm a big shounen/adventure fan, needless to say love most of the shounen jump shows, but overall i watch whatever comes out. i remember back when gurren laggan, ookiku furikabute, fullmetal alchemist, shakugan no shana, higurashi, baccano, a many others i can't recall right now and i know i'm missing a lot of awesome animes, but back then i was so excited every week cause i would get to watch these really cool animes and i would sit in my room and watch them for hours. i also enjoyed the bloom of ecchi animus as well xD now a days you don't get many of those either. Now even though i enjoy them i just don't have that feeling, that urgency to watch them as soon as they come out (well except for one piece, hunter x hunter, fairy tail and magi the magic labyrinth ).[/b]

What do you guys think? just want to know what others opinions are?

[EDIT: No need to bold everything. -TK]
Akito Kinomoto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
You're getting older and tastes change. I'm in a similar situation as you as when I first started watching anime I couldn't get enough of it. But experience exposes you to the good, the bad, and the ugly. We learn not jump into shows so easily. It happens with any medium and anime is no different.

When we get to this point, we don't enjoy anime for the sake of it being anime (IE, a cartoon from Japan); we enjoy (and dislike) certain shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Scytalle
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
As we move from season to season the overall quality of shows tends to be variable, at least that's what I've noticed. Over the last few years, I've only kept up with one or two shows from certain seasons while others I find over ten that I really like.

The one thing I will suggest is to give some of these new shows a chance. There's been a few series recently that the description didn't seem all that interesting to me, but when I actually watched the episode, I found that it was much more interesting than I had anticipated.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
First, welcome to the forums.

Second, "i" when used as a pronoun is supposed to be capitalized. A better effort on using proper grammar like this is expected.

Others have already made some good responses about your general comments, so I'll address one point in particular:

chapoelloko24 wrote:
i also enjoyed the bloom of ecchi animus as well xD now a days you don't get many of those either.

You aren't paying attention, then. There are at least a couple of dedicated ecchi shows every season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum! Now I won't be the only Mexican person around Very Happy.

I'll have to agree with Key, though, I don't know where you're looking, ecchi shows are coming in by the bucket every year, and there's easily one or two per season

I share your love for classic Shonen series and I too am enjoying Fairy Tail and Magi thoroughly. Next season has the premiere of Mushibugyo, a historical action series with crazy anime hair that could be fun for you. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is also currently on-going and while I haven't watched it, it has good reputation as a classic shonen action show

As for anime itself over the last few years... well we've seen the rise of the imouto genre, but I believe that, as always, there'll be good and bad stuff every season, and most importantly, something to suit everyone's tastes. And sometimes a series that looks average or not so interesting can become a pleasant surprise, so I guess it's all in trying out, knowing what you like and looking for it

Key wrote:

Second, "i" when used as a pronoun is supposed to be capitalized. A better effort on using proper grammar like this is expected.

Aren't you being nitpicky? I know it's not proper grammar/spelling to not capitalize "I" but I've seen so much worse and his overall post is understandable enough. Saying "a better effort is expected" is like saying he isn't trying at all, which sounds too harsh for a minor mistake like that
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:28 am Reply with quote
Considering I'm following 8 current shows right now when I usually watch only 3 to 5 I'd say your judgement is a bit premature and you just need to look a little harder. In addition the genres you're seeking, as a rule, don't really overflow with great abundances of originality and creativity. Shounen and Echi have their certain formulas but once you've seen a lot of them they kinda get old and stale. I'd recommend expanding your sphere of interest into other genres and demographics.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:09 am Reply with quote
I have to limit myself to around twenty-one shows a season, otherwise I'd watch too many. There's plenty of decent shows in any given season.

The fact that chapoelloko24 is still primarily into Shounen and Ecchi indicates that his tastes have not matured since his high school days. The fact that he can't find many examples of either despite the abundance - no, the veritable plethora - of titles (especially on the Ecchi side) tells me he just ain't looking hard enough.

There's probably just as much - if not more - Shounen on now than there was back in the mid-noughties. We've got Bakuman, Toriko, Fairy Tail, Magi, One Piece, Naruto Shippuden, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Ginga e Kickoff!!, Gintama, and a number of various kiddy shows. Over the past year there have also been many Shounen shows that have finished airing (at least for the time being): Beelzebub, SKET Dance, Bleach, Medaka Box, Kuroko no Basuke, and so on and so forth.

As for Ecchi Anime, I'm not even going to go there, because anyone with eyes will know that there's more than plenty of it around.
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Sooner or later most fans will realize that anime sucks. Seems your time has come. There has been a certain change of trends too. Lack of ambition and charm you could say. Nothing you can do about it but to wait until new winds blow.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
^Is this a sarcasm? Because I can't see it the other way. Neutral

I think anime is especially awesome over these past years. For example, the fall season of 2012 was really good - Zetsuen no Tempest, ShinSekai Yori, and Psycho-Pass are all absolutely fantastic shows. If talking about shōnen, there's JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Hunter X Hunter, Magi, Saint Seiya Omega and many others which I probably just haven't heard of. IMO, this thread is pointless.
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Rose-tinted glasses. Yeah, there's lots of bad shows now (and lots, and lots) but really, there are still lots of great ones.

We have From The New World wrapping up, and that counts for a lot. I've been enjoying the heck out of Hunter X Hunter and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and Space Brothers is great, too. That's four shows, airing right now, that I would personally call great.

Take a good look at any time period... Yeah, we had some heavy hitters, but it's not like everything was great back then.

Though what I can relate with is that feeling about being excited about everything, and how that goes away. It's called growing up.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I've only been a fan for about 5 years but I've seen my taste change over time, whole I still LOVE the manga's and animes that I watched in the past I find myself looking into watching older shojou animes from the 90's or 80's, I've been doing this since I finished Great Teacher Onizuka last summer (which is an fantastic anime if I do say so myself), after it was over I watched Marmalade boy (I really, did not like that one, too much drama.) and now I'm looking into watching Ranma, Urusei Yatsura, Miyuki, Touch, and Kimagure Orange Road when I'm not watching the newest episode of Little Busters! It's hard to find some of these animes but they look like they're going to be worth watching. Very Happy
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, one thing that has objectively gotten a lot better over the past few years is production value. The dubbing technology has changed tremendously since the 90's and early 2000's, and artist are finding more and more tools to accomplish great work, in addition to animation companies allocating their budget well.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I've mostly fallen out of anime. Just not a lot of what interests me. They just don't make the things I want. I've never been too interested in shonen anime or echhi anime which their just seems to be tons of. I sure as hell don't watch cartoons for slice of life stuff. Nor am I in highschool and want that stuff. Character designs today just don't look appealing to me as well.

It's not simply "I've grown out of anime". I look at a lot of the anime I liked in the past and well it's still good and a lot of it are even better like Berserk and Ghost in the Shell. It's more like anime didn't(or never has) been as grown up as I would want it. Not that it's a problem.

I mean there's just not that many giant robot or general science fiction or action anime that fit what I want.

I mean it's not like I've stopped watching. There's been stuff like Fate Zero, Redline, Magial Madoka, Blood C, Fujiko Mine, and Gundam Unicorn, but as a whole I've found a lot of anime to be poor or just not what I want out of it.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I read threads like these, I think I must be watching shows that no one else is paying attention to. Here, in no particular order, is my list of shows that I've enjoyed over the past couple of years:

Usagi Drop
Chihayafuru
Tsuritama
Sakamichi no Apollon
Shin Sekai Yori
Kamisama Hajimemashita
Hyouge Mono
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee
AKB0048 (season one more than season two)
Space Brothers
Puella Magi Madoka Magica

These were all released between 2011 and now. What do these shows have in common? Well perhaps it's what they don't contain, lots of violence and girls in various states of undress. If that's what you want to see more of, these won't help. If you're trying to expand your horizons, I suggest giving some of these a try.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Er, yuna49, I would point out that From the New World (aka Shin Sekai Yori) has a quite a fair amount of shockingly graphic violence.

PMMM also has some distinctly graphic violence (including one infamous scene) and girls in distinct states of undress in its late stages. (Admittedly not a lot of it, though.)

Also, be wary about pure listing. Remember, that's not allowed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2