• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Recalls Kids on the Slope BD Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Honestly that problem is easy to over look. Certainly not worth the hassle of sending it back.

Yeah; it is not that big of a deal (to some people, like me), but the recall is needed for Sentai to show its costumers that they can be accountable for their mistakes.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
So with everyone's reaction to this recall, am I to assume that sentai has had issues like this before? Didn't catch the last ANN cast if these problems were mentioned there.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
So with everyone's reaction to this recall, am I to assume that sentai has had issues like this before? Didn't catch the last ANN cast if these problems were mentioned there.
Here's a list.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Honestly that problem is easy to over look. Certainly not worth the hassle of sending it back.

It's worth clarifying that what the problem actually is, is not mono audio in the typical sense, but that for all of episode 11 there is basically no audio coming from the right side. So, yeah, it's easy to overlook if you're deaf or really hard of hearing in your right ear, I guess. Even people just using their built-in TV speakers will notice it.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
Here's a list.

And, to expand upon that, the DVD problems that chronoclast mentions in that linked post reach as far back as when the people that are now Sentai were ADV. This *identical* sort of audio defect (i.e. no audio from the right side) was present on DVDs such as the RahXephon movie (for which ADV did enact a replacement program at the time) and the live-action 2009: Lost Memories movie. That's why certain individuals have been so up in arms about this audio defect happening again, since you'd think they would've learned to avoid it after it first happened *nine* years ago.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
So, yeah, it's easy to overlook if you're deaf or really hard of hearing in your right ear, I guess. Even people just using their built-in TV speakers will notice it.

Or if you watch it dubbed instead.
GDFan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
The exchange form is already up on Rightstuf. It's being done directly throught them and includes a 5 dollar gift certificate good towards the purchase of a Sentai product on Rightstuf.

The form also seems to indicate that most discs are not affected. I've watched Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 twice through now and didn't notice any audio issues with my copy. I'll probably exchange it just to be safe, and for the gift card, of course.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
Here's a list.

So what I'm getting at is that most of their blurays are having audio Issues. What about their sub only dvd releases?? "list below of shows that I still need to get"
1.MM
2.Mayo Chiki
3.Motto To Love Ru
4.Ano Natsu "waiting in the summer"
5.The Qwaser of Stigmata
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
THANK GOD.

Kids on the Slope is too good to get a crappy release.

Does anyone know if there are problems with the DVDs? Or is it just the Blu-Rays?
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

1.MM
3.Motto To Love Ru

I know those two do not have any problems with the audio, not sure about the other 3.

If the DVD versions are not having the issues, it sounds like the production team doing the BR versions are doing a a half-assed job with them. Or maybe since it's happened to more than one title, it might be an issue with the equipment they're using to produce the BR versions.

Roxas4ever wrote:
Does anyone know if there are problems with the DVDs? Or is it just the Blu-Rays?

Someone mentioned on the 1st page that the KotS DVDs do not have the issue, so it's just the BR version.
delariean

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe they realize that this release will make more money than usual since more people will be buying this release and if anything is messed up it affects their sales.....
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Good on Sentai! I am one of those TRSi costumers who already received their set. I rather have just the faulty disc sent to me; I rather not return my set and wait for the replacement in the mail.

I would not expect return of the entire set would be required, only the affected disc.

From a practical standpoint, they really shouldn't care if they receive the disc intact, since the purpose is sending it back is to offer proof you had it and remove it from the market.
Kohii

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Sentai

>Releases an anime popular for its musical performances
>screws up the audio in one of the episodes.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Yikes...they are going to have to repress all of the Blu-ray discs. An expensive process. Guess that throws any chance of this title turning a profit out the window.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Yes pile on Sentai, pfft, because Funimation never has problems. Lets give everything to Funimation. Because they reuse the same 5 voice actors, release everything in 1-2 year delays, have some rather suspect translation choices, and have their own myriad of technical issues.

I have and watched 4 of the titles on that list of Sentai titles with eras, not to mention several others not on that list, and had no major issue. And as great a director as I think Shinichiro Watanabe is, this probably his weakest far, and far from some hallowed piece that cant be defiled by such an error.

All things given out of the major companies I have the least issues with Sentai. Viz only puts out shonen titles, and spend half their time rereleasing the same naruto episodes in ten different box set packaging. Aniplex is over priced, and cant even put together the physical packaging properly let alone the actual product. Discotek licenses such obscure stuff I could really care less. And like I mentioned above Funi has many issues with delays being what really kills me, that and their double dipping attempts on customers by releasing a dvd release, and then waiting to release the blu ray a year or two later when everyone already bought the dam dvd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4