• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Planetes (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dagwood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
thing is that we can take our own garbage to a waste disposal facility, and don't need people to go out and get it for us.
You make yet another good point and I am fully capable of doing so; and I'm lucky to be in such a position. But there are exceptions, for example, people like Kruszer. Or what about those (particularly in large cities) who use mass transit systems. Having all that garbage on say, a subway would be a serious health hazard. What about the homeless, the sick, the poor, or anyone else (for whatever reason) who can't dispose of their waste? What would they do with it? Dumps, recycling, and other waste facilities are most often located away from the region that generates the waste. Someone would have to do something or it would pile up. People would throw it in rivers, lakes, oceans, on the side of highways, and/or backcountry, anything to get rid of it. The ecological effects it would have on the Earth and our many sources of food would be devastating. Our towns and cities would literally look like a ‘third world’ country.

So you’re right, those of us who are in a position to do so could, and are fully capable of disposing our own waste, but at the same time many can't. You’re right again when you say that only trained professionals can remove debris from space, and Joe sixpack can't. It’s also apparent that debris collection is far more dangerous than garbage collection, but that doesn’t mean garbage collection is without danger. Going back to my original post: when telling someone about Planetes, comparing the two is the simplest and shortest way to better explain it to them, even though they have their differences.

This is starting to get off topic, so I'll make this my last post on the matter Cool Wink.

Though, I do have an on topic question. Tanabe refers to Hachimaki as sempai, and Hachimaki to Gigalt as sensei. Sensei means teacher, but what does sempai mean? I remember Clare referred to Tanabe calling Hachi "sempai" like they where in an after school club. Like an anime club? I can't piece it together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Do you think that Planetes is a real story that is concievable to happen in 70 years? I think it is, but only if the technological adancements of the future have less to do with 2 billion gigabyte DVDs and more with new space related technology. NASA has not put a new type of transport up there for around 20 years. 20 YEARS! How many of you have been using the same car for that long?!
I look foward to reading your responses.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Alchemist449 wrote:
20 YEARS! How many of you have been using the same car for that long?!
we had a car that lived to 15 once. Then all it needed was some alternater and transmission work, and it would work for probably 5 or 10 more. And we actually sold it, not junked it (though it may be junked by now)

and more on-topic...
I haven't read Plaetes, though I've heard a lot of good things about it.
what sort of technology do they have?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
The technology is advanced in a lot of ways like-
-Instead of print magazines there are cards that you scan with a machine.
-Permanent colonies on the moon and Mars
-A spoiler[mission to Jupiter]
-Humanity has mining facilities on the moon and other facilities on asteroids
-Nuclear-fusion powered engines
-Commercial space flight (not something that isn't found today ala the recent contest, but to a much greater extent)

Thats all that come to mind. I really hope you pick this one up, you won't be disapointed.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote
While I have not read the manga I have seen 3 vols of the anime.
The chances of us being to that point in 70 years is excellent in my opinion even quicker if we could figure out artificial gravity. The technology is almost there now exept for the gravity issue. They even talk a little about it in one of the eps I watched with the people who were born on the moon and its gravity. I also noticed that the space stations and some of the transport ships used the centrificle force as their sorce of gravity. Now as far as new space craft there are new plans for the next gen of launch veicles you can veiw them at www.nasa.gov/multimedia/mmgallery/index.htm
We are going to return to a easier system back to the old style of space craft. It will not have the coolness factor the shuttle has but it will be much more reliable and safer. The Russian space program has ben useing the Soyuse since the 60's but they have a simpler set up thats why they have been the saving grace for the ISS. The only reason people do not live up there permanitly now is because you lose bone mass, and muscle tissue due to the lack of gravity. Now I just have to say I have a 19 year old car a 16 year old truck and both are going to be in use when they turn 20 barring major crash or tranny... So I think 20 years is not that long as long as you keep up on the matience. In closing I am an older person and if any of you young ones out there really want to see a story like Planetes come to be, you should go into the scienc and tech feilds. The more that do, the better my chance and all other old farts to see it befor we kick it. Smile

for spelling

Last edited by Mugen1style on Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:03 am Reply with quote
i believe that in 70 years we might have some of the technology used in Planetes but things like colonies on the moon and mars i think will definately take a bit longer, we just arent socially evolved enough to make such a big transition like that of living on another planet...maybe 100 years...give or take a few.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:17 am Reply with quote
GloriousPikachu wrote:
i believe that in 70 years we might have some of the technology used in Planetes but things like colonies on the moon and mars i think will definately take a bit longer, we just arent socially evolved enough to make such a big transition like that of living on another planet...maybe 100 years...give or take a few.

I agree that we are not socially evolved yet but all most all the Tech. in Planetes is possible now . We can shield ourselvs from radiation and most of the rest of whats needed would have to be scaled up but I do not think its going to take 100 years or more we plan to have a station on the moon by 2020 now thats one I have a hard time with but 70 years to have space tourism, moon base, and debrei removle not so difficult for me . Perhaps I am just dreaming but the thing is I have seen how far we have come in the last 30 years that I have been able to read and comunicate with the world. way back 30 years ago when I was 7 FM radio was all the rage, digital calculators, and consumer VCR's were cutting edge tech now look what you get... So again I say 70 years is a long time in the tech world. Smile
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
ya now that i think about it we've been through some crazy changes since the 1930's so i guess in 70 years or maybe less all the tech could easily be possible.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:19 am Reply with quote
Guys, if you just think that "no one could see men on the moon as early as 1969 when Wright brothers flew their Flyer on 1903 so 70 years is very possible" then you have forgotten one important factor: wars.

Two World Wars and one Cold War happend between 1903 and 1969 (and the latter was still ongoing then). During the two World Wars, which could be interpreted as the survival of a nation, scientists and engineers gathered together to contribute their best efforts on aerodynamics, and later in the Cold War whoever could deliver a house-sized object on the moon surface means it could deliver the same thing on anywhere of Earth surface. As a result, two strongest nations devoted themselves with almost unlimited human and material resources to the moon landing project. The death of JFK added more fuel to the American team, for what they were doing had ascended from a policy to a last will. I don't see Mars project or the more far-fetched Jupiter project could achieve anything militaristic like what the Moon project could; all they could do was for science and national pride. Simply put, Mars colonies and so have no immediate military value.

Say, if a Mars probe has found something "more destructive than uranium but produce no radiation aftermath" or "unlimited fuel and much better than petroleum" than we'll see every nation and even big companies would start to develop their own Mars project. Twisted Evil

Therefore, I don't think any country in the world now would pursuit Mars project with half of the strength USA/USSR did for the Moon project, even with much far more advanced technology today. Don't forget that NASA engineers used calculator ruler to send people on the moon.

Final note: I was somewhat disappointed with Planetes, for IMNSHO it's a shounen title covered with seinen "character development" sugar coating.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:11 am Reply with quote
I agree about wars and the tech achieved as a result of them. I think that falls under social development which is definatly a much larger issue than the health and technalogicle advancement. We have along way to go in that department but I am happy to say that with the popularity of the intranet it is easier to comunicate with different cultures through forums, blogs and IRC. I can see what you mean about the characterisation in Planetes, but the fact that they had Nasa tech's work on the show was very cool for me because, its not that often that I get both of my favorite things in one place. Realistic portrayal of life in space rooted in real scienc and Anime thats what makes this show for me. I do wish that they would have gone further with the tech side but unfortunatly there dose not appear to be alot of interest in these things at least in the anime comunity. I would exspect we would have more storys with real scienc in them if there were.

Hey dormcat are you an eng. student or was that some one else.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Who says man actually walked on the moon? Twisted Evil
Quote:
Final note: I was somewhat disappointed with Planetes, for IMNSHO it's a shounen title covered with seinen "character development" sugar coating.

Really? I mean, I can understand the disapointment, as the last volume was somewhat of a letdown after #3, but aside from a couple of the "goofy" chapters I though the series treated most of the subject matter far more serious than any shonen story. After all, how many shonen heroes go into Travis Bickle-mode by the second volume?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
...aside from a couple of the "goofy" chapters I though the series treated most of the subject matter far more serious than any shonen story.

The chapter where spoiler[main characters sacrificed their spacecraft in order to save the space station] pissed me off. Reminding me spoiler[Star Trek: Generations where Enterprise B was "the only ship around" planet Earth].

I bet the author knows this historic event: during the Battle of the Philippine Sea, pilot ensign Sakio Komatsu took off from carrier Taiho and immediately saw two torpedo trails coming from starboard side rushing towards the carrier. He broke right sharply and head directly to those torpedos, detonated one of them successfully -- with his plane and life, of course. Inevitably, Taiho was still sunked by the other torpedo; the ship was designed to sustain much heavier damage, yet poor damage control destroyed the ship.

Kagemusha wrote:
After all, how many shonen heroes go into Travis Bickle-mode by the second volume?

Haven't watched Taxi Driver myself. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Being the first person for Jupiter mission requires great strength, both physically and mentally. The main character was just too unfit for the job. Kinda like reading Slam Dunk, where a brat who had never played basketball could become Dennis Rodman within less than a year. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nani?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Being the first person for Jupiter mission requires great strength, both physically and mentally. The main character was just too unfit for the job. Kinda like reading Slam Dunk, where a brat who had never played basketball could become Dennis Rodman within less than a year. Rolling Eyes

(Only have seen first volume of the Anime DVD) I disagree with this. He is talented and tough minded as he shows spoiler[when he prevents the collision of Cheng Shin's ship and the military satalite].

What he does have is problems with Authority. At the same time he also has people who recognise his talent and are in positions of authority (or able to whisper into the ears of those in authority). He is tough minded and good, on the level of a Dennis Rodman, but he holds himself back with a bad attitude. I would trust him to cover my back but not to speak with reporters.

Basically, I'd definately consider tapping him for a Jupitier mission, after a long private conversation and assurances that he could "get along" and not sabotage himself.

I also realise this would be more likely to happen at a western company where the empahsis is on individual talent versus an East Asian company where the emphisis is on "fitting in/getting along". Of course there is signs that his company is somewhat western. As Claire says spoiler["My boss is not interested in what school you went to, only that you can do the job."]

From that standpoint, he has shot, is probably the one with the most "natural talent" but people look at him with reservations for obvious reasons.

All the best,

Nani?

P.S. I believe Planetes is a good description of what life would be like if we get to that point. But I think population, enviromental factors, etc is likely to derail that future.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Being the first person for Jupiter mission requires great strength, both physically and mentally. The main character was just too unfit for the job. Kinda like reading Slam Dunk, where a brat who had never played basketball could become Dennis Rodman within less than a year.

But the whole point of the series is watching Hachi mature. Sure he starts out as a naive punk, and he eventually goes through a state of spoiler[depression and isolation, but through his loved ones he's able to overcome those difficulties and mature as a person into someone who is level-headed and has enough understanding of life to go on the mission.]
I agree on the first point though, even if it was an amusing episode.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:40 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
But the whole point of the series is watching Hachi mature.

Yes, and that's why I called it "a shounen title covered with seinen 'character development' sugar coating," instead of calling it a shounen title directly.

The biggest difference of character maturation between a seinen and a shounen title is realistic pacing. As I said before, the speed Hachi matured is about the same as Sakuragi of Slam Dunk did -- too fast to be realistic.

Furthermore, he spoiler[even panicked during a simplified sensory deprivation test with no light and sound only (a full-scale one consists of a thermostat water tank with oxygen supply; testee is naked in warm water, so there's no temperature difference or gravity)]. Geez, I could fare much better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7