• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daisuki Anime Streaming Site Launches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:46 am Reply with quote
Tr1ckR wrote:
damn all the videos i click on says "This player is not approved to play this protected content"

Is it blocked in Australia or something?

Apparently the Aniplex titles are.

EDIT: According to a user at Crunchyroll, apparently the UK is out on those titles as well (they reported being unable to view Madoka Magica).

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
So only these initial launch titles are free, right? I'm guessing everything in the future won't be, as per their FAQ.

Daisuki has earlier indicated their intention was that most of their series would be free and ad supported, but there would be some premium content. They noted the premium content would be pay per play and there not subscription.

yuna49 wrote:
When I tried to vote on shows I only got a list from A through C.

I expect that was just the first round of voting.

I hope they actually have access to all those titles, and are only using the voting to determine which to post first. Some of those titles have never been legally streamed, so it would be good to see them available online.

Last edited by TheAncientOne on Thu May 16, 2013 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
eliram

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
wanderful news for all us anime lovers from backwater countrys.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I want to take the survey, but I can't just yet. One of the choices is vague. It lists "Dr. Slump", but it isn't clear if it's both versions (the 1981-1986 original version, and the 1997-1999 remake*), or it would just be one version or the other. Also, three of the choices are "sequel/remake" anime, namely "Tiger Mask II", "Captain Tsubasa J", and "Cho Mashin Hero Wataru" (all three of them were written as they appear on the survey). I would personally like to watch the original versions, and I'm a little afraid that choosing them might mean that they might only get those versions and not the originals (what's more, there are two Wataru series before the "Cho Mashin" ones). So, I sent them an e-mail about how this might work. I want to make sure I know what I'm actually supporting before I make up my mind.

*Fun fact: One Piece originally replaced the Dr. Slump remake in its Japanese timeslot (in turn, the Dr. Slump remake had replaced Dragon Ball GT in the same timeslot).
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
*Fun fact: One Piece originally replaced the Dr. Slump remake in its Japanese timeslot (in turn, the Dr. Slump remake had replaced Dragon Ball GT in the same timeslot).

And didn't Dragon Ball replace the original Dr. Slump in that timeslot as well?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
TheHTRO wrote:

And didn't Dragon Ball replace the original Dr. Slump in that timeslot as well?

Yeah, it was Dr. Slump Arale-chan -> Dragon Ball -> DBZ -> DB GT -> Dr. Slump. It was about 18 straight years of anime based on Akira Toriyama manga; an entire generation literally grew up watching Toriyama anime.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Tr1ckR wrote:
damn all the videos i click on says "This player is not approved to play this protected content"

Is it blocked in Australia or something?

The Aniplex titles ~ Madoka and SAO ~ seem to be North America only.
The Lupin from TMS seems to be North America only.
The NAS title ~ Prince of Tennis ~ seems to be available more widely but with some European blocks ~ for instance, available in Brazil, but possibly not in Portugal.
The Sunrise titles ~ two Gundams ~ seem to be most widely available.

Toei will be putting up One Piece, but hasn't put it up yet, so whether the site is perceived as mostly wide access with some restrictions or mostly restricted with some wider access could well come down to how widely available One Piece ends up being.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I think it's still in its infancy, so give it time to "grow." After all, what was Crunchyroll like when it first became a "legit" streaming site in early 2009? The fact it has the biggest anime studios and the influential Asatsu-DK advertising agency supporting it means the potential for success is HUGE.
TotalPotato

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:26 am Reply with quote
Madoka and SAO are now available to watch in the UK too! It looks like Aniplex have lifted that particular restriction. People in the Netherlands and Ireland reported being able to watch them too, so if they weren't available before for you, check again now.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:39 am Reply with quote
TotalPotato wrote:
Madoka and SAO are now available to watch in the UK too! It looks like Aniplex have lifted that particular restriction. People in the Netherlands and Ireland reported being able to watch them too, so if they weren't available before for you, check again now.

Those were truly bizarre, since Sword Art Online was licensed at Crunchyroll for the English Speaking Countries plus Latin America.

However, the report that SAO is available in the Netherlands is encouraging, since the Crunchyroll license was not announced as including the Netherlands.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:30 am Reply with quote
Checked with a friend and apparently Lupin the Third is still unavailable to those in the UK.
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
Well I decided to register and watched some Zeta Gundam. It's been years since I saw it. No problems at all, very good picture quality. It's very nice dub people aren't left out.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
Well I decided to register and watched some Zeta Gundam. It's been years since I saw it. No problems at all, very good picture quality. It's very nice dub people aren't left out.

I would have much preferred in the sub for that one. The dub for Zeta is terrible.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
Wow, Daisuki ended up even worse than I expected. The video quality is absolutely terrible (do Japanese even know how to do streaming video over 360p?), the interface is all messed up and I'm running into all kinds of issues with the pages not loading. They really should have done a beta for this.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

I would have much preferred in the sub for that one. The dub for Zeta is terrible.

I wonder if that is an indication we will see Sunrise use the dub for properties where they have the rights to such?

Given that the images of the eariler mock-up or prototype of the site that were seen showed Gundam00 and Code Geass, I assume we'll be finding out.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
We already have aggregators like Toonzaki, do we really need Daisuki?

Do you not realise what a aggregator does?

SnaphappyFMA wrote:
Wow. Zeta Gundam is available subbed on Crunchyroll. (Or it used to be - maybe it's been taken off since I watched it there.) I love Nobuo Tobita's voice (as Kamille), I wouldn't want to watch the dub.

That would have been part of this.

Sceleris wrote:
What kind of weird business logic can be behind some of these regional restrictions? For example, I can't watch Madoka Magica. I mean, it's not Aniplex of America, right? It's Aniplex proper, right? Surely they should have the right to let all regions not already covered by streaming licenses watch their cartoons on Daisuki.

If Aniplex have already granted exclusive rights to another company for a certain country, they cannot also grant them to Daisuki. It may just take some time to negotiate or confirm things outside NA; Madoka wasn't available in the UK yesterday, but it is today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5