• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crimson Star Acquires Looking Up at the Half-Moon Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
I asked Corey on his Twitter about the difference priced items:

https://twitter.com/SpacemanHardy/status/351201964840849409

Quote:
@csmediausa Quick question: Can you explain the price differences between the $30 DVD and the $35 DVD plus streaming? I don't quite get it.

Here was his response:

https://twitter.com/csmediausa/status/351210815401107456
https://twitter.com/csmediausa/status/351211505410256896
https://twitter.com/csmediausa/status/351212010047946752

Quote:
@SpacemanHardy our agreement with Pony Canyon was that we will release it on DVD for a set price, another price that includes streaming

@SpacemanHardy as a coupon code that will allow you access to the streaming video that will be able to be watched both on pc and on mobile

@SpacemanHardy the reasoning is when we stream Hantsuki it will be on a Video On Demand Model with a per episode price.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:33 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
partysmores wrote:

"Predator: NO"

"Victim Sex: UNKNOWN"

"Victim Age: UNKNOWN"

I call bullshit.

Anyone else think that it might involve anime/manga images?

Yes. That's the first thing that came to mind when reading this thread.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
I dont get why you would support new anime companies even with all the other stuff aside. Its already apparent that the current companies cannot hold out. Aniplex and Discotek only popped out because they are extremes. Aniplex is essentially a producer of anime, so distributing it makes sense. Discotek only licenses really old products that are probably very cheap. Sentai/Funi are the only distributor's that have had any normal staying power, and yes I am counting Sentai's time as ADV.

All these new companies will do is give false hope and then you will end up with things like Squid Girl or Zetsubo Sensei. Where companies who don't have the assets essentially end up either leaving a show partially complete, or flat out end up blocking more capable companies from putting it out, and by the time their license expires the other companies have passed on interest.

Im sure fans of this site who are primarily manga readers and buyers can attest to how many series are released part way and then discarded, only to leave the fans incomplete series on their shelves.

I like the show in question and don't mind more anime releases in the West, but I want something stead fast and proven, and not some kid who likes anime and has no lick of business sense falling flat on his face. Media blasters aside, if a company like Bandai can basically go under despite having a monster franchise like Gundam in tow, what makes you think this guy will succeed.

I would just rather not get my hopes up, and dream someone else some day down the road will release it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:29 am Reply with quote
Joe anime wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
This company is run by the same "Corey Maddox" who scammed people once before with roughly the same tactics. I would not preorder this if I were you.

Not only that,he's currently a registered sex offender. http://www.bustedoffenders.com/georgia/newnan/sex-offenders/corey-steven-maddox/250093cd9

This the official link for the Georgia State Sex Offender registry. It is lacking in specifics like the above link, which is surprising compared to some other states.

http://services.georgia.gov/gbi/gbisor/jsp/Detail.jsp?action=SexualOffenderDetails&sexualoffenderId=250093CD9
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Prede

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:49 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Media blasters aside, if a company like Bandai can basically go under despite having a monster franchise like Gundam in tow, what makes you think this guy will succeed.

I disagree with much of your opinion but won't bother getting into that right now. Instead I will note that Gundam was not some monster franchise for Bandai Ent, if you meant "monster" as money maker. The only parts of that franchise that ever got big and sold very well in the west were Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed. Gundam seems big, because (some parts of) the internet loves it. But it wasn't some huge seller for them as far as I know, outside of Seed and Wing. I think we all know what their biggest title was, Cowboy Bebop. I'd bet money on Gits: SAC being a big seller. And I'm sure Love Hina and Akira did more then fine for them when they had those too.

What titles you have is only one major part of the equation, the way you release titles and your pricing is also quite important. Not to mention many other factors. And Bandai never really got into the whole half-season/season set things that Funi and Sentai were doing. This may have harmed them. Not to mention they were very late to the game in regards to online streaming, that couldn't have been good for them either.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:59 am Reply with quote
Inquired about careers on their Facebook page. I'd like to experience some "behind the scenes" industry action. Hoping a new company will give me a shot.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:23 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Not to mention that he's working alongside Chad Bonin and Neil Nadelman who are both legit businessmen in their respective trades.

I think that helps too. Definitely recognize Neil Nadelman's name from a ton of translation credits.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:37 am Reply with quote
At least they have hired a professional translator for the subtitles. Based on how they are going about a potential dub, I assumed they'd be doing a fansub for this.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:16 am Reply with quote
Hmm. New licensing company? That's new. It's nice to see new licensors try and take on the challenge of licensing and even dubbing anime. Who knows? Maybe in the future, if things go well, they'll be amazingly awesome!
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:35 am Reply with quote
A Rough timeline to my Reaction to this news

1116z: Well, let's check ANN before I go for my morning run -- Whoa, Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora was licensed? That is an epic awesome show! Sweet, I'd love to see that!
1117z: Funny, I've never heard of this Crimson Star company before. Oh well, I'm got to post on the forums, because this show is awesome.
1119z: Reading the forums, ah, so the rumor about the dude running the joint is he's a scammer and got busted for CP -- Confidence levels fading...
1122z: Okay. First of all, Hanbun no Tsuki is a really good show, and I wants it. Secondly, because of these rumors, I'm not going to trust this guy with my moneys. So if a legit anime retailer offers it, like Right Stuf or the Corner Store, I'm all over this like a fat kid on cake. And finally, regardless of your opinions of this dude, go and watch this show. I can't recommend it enough.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I could see pre-ordering through Rightstuf or somewhere reputable, but I'm sure as hell not sending any money directly to a company with no room for backouts.
docsane

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote
Neil Nadelman here. Just to throw in my two cents...

Corey contacted me about six months ago, asking what I charged for translation and timing. I heard nothing again until last week, when he contacted me again for a quote. We negotiated a price and set up a deadline. When he told me he wanted to premiere the first episode at the convention last night, I offered to do a quick translation and managed to get something acceptable done just in time.

While I don't know anything of his past attempts at licensing (Or of anything else, for that matter), I will note that he provided me with PDFs of the show's A/R scripts. This is actually a fairly common thing to get when you license a show from a distributor and not something that a fan is likely to just acquire, so things look about as legit as they normally do from my end. That said, I asked Corey to provide some confirmation that he has a license signed on the title before I proceed further. I'll keep you all informed. At worst, I'll just be out a few hours of work on a Saturday when I wasn't doing anything else. (I've got some downtime right now, waiting for the next round of work from a client you all probably know).

I've seen anime get licensed by people who were barely more than fansubbers. Let's hold off on the name calling and FUD-spreading till we know a bit more, okay?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
All these new companies will do is give false hope and then you will end up with things like Squid Girl or Zetsubo Sensei. Where companies who don't have the assets essentially end up either leaving a show partially complete, or flat out end up blocking more capable companies from putting it out, and by the time their license expires the other companies have passed on interest.

Yes, because FUNimation & Sentai/ADV have never left a title incomplete before, right? Kodocha never happened, nor did Saint Seiya, or even Eyeshield 21 & Glass Mask for that matter. I can understand the worry about not having a complete show when its released on DVD, but when you're getting to the point of saying "Don't support anyone other than the "big two" because you will get screwed!" then I think you've lost it, quite frankly. Personally, I'll take an incomplete release over no release, but also spouting that kind of nonsense only reinforces the Catch-22 that anime fans continually support, even if inadvertently: Company licenses "Anime A", but fans don't buy it due to some sort of stupid reasoning. Therefore, no one licenses "Anime B", which is similar to "Anime A", but fans bitch about why no one's licensed "Anime B" when they are the very reason why.

Now, when it comes to Crimson Star I'm going to stay neutral. I remember Mr. Maddox's previous attempt at licensing, which was done in all of the wrong ways, & I have an idea of his past "discretions" but I am willing to accept him as the head of a new licensing company if he can get a good release out. That said, Looking Up at the Half-Moon doesn't really interest me right now, so I'm not supporting Crimson Star at the moment, but that's due to apathy towards the title licensed more than anything. Considering what he's licensed now & what he was trying to do a few years back (Hoshizora Kiseki), it doesn't seem like Mr. Maddox & I are going to cross paths in terms of me wanting to buy what he's releasing... But, hey, if Half-Moon can get released with no controversy I'll keep my eyes open towards them, & if Mr. Maddox can license something I can get behind then I'll likely want to support his company.

As it is right now, though, all I can say is "Good Luck".
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:45 am Reply with quote
docsane wrote:
Neil Nadelman here. Just to throw in my two cents...

Good to hear all that, I'm looking forward to seeing what you find out. My little cousin auditioned for the dub at that panel last night, so I was beginning to grow concerned when I read all this controversy... Thanks for chiming in on the matter.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
Here's an idea: Why not have Zac and Justin invite Mr. Maddox to the next ANNcast? That way he can give them the rundown of CS as a company and fill them in on his plans for the future, as well as tackle any concerns or questions regarding the legitimacy of his actions?

I think it'd make for a great episode. It's not everyday you get a brand new anime distributor, ya know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5