• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:40 am Reply with quote
Oh great, so now it's gotten to the point where apparently the only way to have character growth is to be yelled at and insulted by your leader for your team's own shortcomings.

As to your point about Yura taking the game too seriously, I don't think you actually watched that scene where Haruna and then Sonora blow up at her for one little thing, with Sonora then holding a grudge overnight. That's taking the game too damn seriously.

You also ignored my point about Sonora blaming Yura for not making her (Sonora's) sacrifice count. It was unfair of Sonora to do that to her.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:00 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Oh great, so now it's gotten to the point where apparently the only way to have character growth is to be yelled at and insulted by your leader for your team's own shortcomings.

Hyperbole.

Quote:
As to your point about Yura taking the game too seriously, I don't think you actually watched that scene where spoiler[Haruna and then Sonora blow up at her for one little thing, with Sonora then holding a grudge overnight. That's taking the game too damn seriously.]

I apparently watched it closer than you did because spoiler[that "grudge" you're talking about is not shown lasting overnight. The bathing scene that I presume you're referring to happened the same day, and the next time we see Sonora after that she's back to being friendly with Yura again.]

Quote:
You also ignored my point about spoiler[Sonora blaming Yura for not making her (Sonora's) sacrifice count. It was unfair of Sonora to do that to her.]

Didn't ignore it at all, just thought it was implicitly covered by my comment about spoiler[Sonora clearly being frustrated]. Yes, that may be a needlessly dramatic way to put it, but even in something that's done just for fun it's hardly out of line to get irritated when someone doesn't take advantage of an opportunity given to them.

On an entirely different note, is it just me, or is there a much higher rate of blinking being animated in this series than the norm? I noticed this quite a bit in a rewatch of a couple of scenes this morning.

Last edited by Key on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I don't blame Sonora for getting angry at Yura. Sonora takes the game seriously and she was just venting her frustration. Sometimes you can't help it by yelling at a newbie in a game that requires a TEAM to win. I play League of Legends which is a 5 vs 5 Moba. I usually don't say anything when things are going bad, but once in a blue moon I vent my frustration on someone on my team even though I know it isn't the right thing to do.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hyperbole.

Except it isn't.

Key wrote:
I apparently watched it closer than you did because spoiler[that "grudge" you're talking about is not shown lasting overnight. The bathing scene that I presume you're referring to happened the same day, and the next time we see Sonora after that she's back to being friendly with Yura again.]

Watch again, and this actually bother to pay attention. Sonora yelled at Yura at twilight. That night they had a bath and were avoiding one another. It was only until the following afternoon that Sonora finally became friendly with her again, after Yura returned to the lodge with her new ghastly haircut (did she do it herself? It looks like it).

Key wrote:
Didn't ignore it at all, just thought it was implicitly covered by my comment about spoiler[Sonora clearly being frustrated]. Yes, that may be a needlessly dramatic way to put it, but even in something that's done just for fun it's hardly out of line to get irritated when someone doesn't take advantage of an opportunity given to them.

What opportunity? The opportunity to get slaughtered by the strongest player at the tournament who easily outwitted Sonora? Yeah, some opportunity that is.
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
From a friend of mine: spoiler["Airsoft guns and Rambo DVDs are insufficient tools to cut hair with."]

Anyway I've seen the type of mentality shown here in sports before and it saddens me every time. So the scene had a sort of opposite effect on me. I ended up feeling really bad for Yura instead because I just can't get into the "It's just a game SO YOU'D BETTER DAMN WELL WIN IT!" mindset. My brother played hockey when we were kids and the abuse from neighborhood parents after a game went afoul was so harsh it made the news. So while I appreciate that Yura resolved her issue I'm not cool with how her teammates handled it.

WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I usually don't say anything when things are going bad, but once in a blue moon I vent my frustration on someone on my team even though I know it isn't the right thing to do.

That's actually why I stopped playing LoL. I've been playing online games since the BBS DOOR/MUD days and I've never had to vent my frustrations at anyone. I've face-palmed at some of the stupidity I've seen but loosing my cool with them is only going to make an enemy. And it's not an "I'm older and wiser now" thing because I didn't act like that when I was (checks wikipedia) 13.

And Airsoft should be no different. If it's professional league I could see it because then it's a job as well as a sport. I would've fought to the bitter end in the slight hope of doing something cool but I'm a pretty brash person. She's already been shown to be unsure of herself. I'd say it would've been out of character for her to try and pull off a miracle at that point.

Mind you, she'll likely fight to the bitter end from now on. But what I really want to see is everyone deeply apologize to her for acting so lack of understanding. Sadly that's not going to happen because the writers felt this was the best way to give her a backbone and even Yura herself has accepted it as the correct path.

I loved the episode but if her team pulls this junk the next time she doesn't act as intended (or especially if one them them screws up big, Yura calls them down for it but it's suddenly uncool to get frustrated with your teammates) then I'm going to loose a lot of love for the show. The sad thing is I'm actually expecting to see that happen.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Key wrote:
Hyperbole.

Except it isn't.

Except it is.

Quote:
Watch again, and this actually bother to pay attention. Sonora yelled at Yura at twilight. That night they had a bath and were avoiding one another. It was only until the following afternoon that Sonora finally became friendly with her again, after Yura returned to the lodge with her new ghastly haircut (did she do it herself? It looks like it).

Yes, that's what I saw, too. Your original statement said "holding a grudge overnight." It is shown lasting into the evening bathing session - which is, specifically, not overnight. We have no evidence in the episode that it lasted any longer than that. Either "overnight" isn't the word you're intending to use there or you're making assumptions that have no basis in episode content.

Quote:
What opportunity? The opportunity to get slaughtered by the strongest player at the tournament who easily outwitted Sonora? Yeah, some opportunity that is.

Even if one loses badly, valuable experience can still be gained in a situation like that. And again, if there was a real risk of her getting significantly injured in a scenario like this then I'd be entirely in favor of her surrendering. But there wasn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Except it is.

Nuh-uh.[/sarcasm]

Come on, surely you can use a better justification than something a kindergärtner would find petty. The onus is on you to explain why what I said was hyperbole (instead of giving a nothing response that Fencedude5609 himself would be proud of).

Key wrote:
Either "overnight" isn't the word you're intending to use there or you're making assumptions that have no basis in episode content.

It is pretty damn clear from the context that the two did not make up until Yura cut her hair and said that her resolve was renewed.

You know, context? Ever heard of it?

Key wrote:
Even if one loses badly, valuable experience can still be gained in a situation like that.

Her team had already lost due to its leader's tactical incompetence. Yura herself had already lost, realistically-speaking. She didn't even have her gun when she decided to surrender. What would she have learned, had she even had a calm state of mind in the first place to take on the two remaining enemies?

Key wrote:
And again, if there was a real risk of her getting significantly injured in a scenario like this then I'd be entirely in favor of her surrendering. But there wasn't.

Yura's act of surrender, while a disappointing way to end the final for the players involved, did not warrant her leader packing a psyche and being abusive towards her. She's a newbie, playing in her first tournament, who is so green she hasn't even learned all of the basic hand signals. How would she even know that surrender was an unsportsman-like thing to do in this game in the first place? A normal person who doesn't have a stick up their arse would not be so cruel to a newbie. Not in real life face-to-face.

Tell me Key (or anyone else who would defend Sonora): would you have acted like Sonora and said what she said to Yura? (And since you don't seem to know what context is, I am specifically referring to the scene where Sonora yells at Yura after the final.) Well, would you? Is that how you would have treated Yura if she were on your team and you had screwed up and put her in a hopeless position and then blamed her for your mistake? Hmm? I sure hope not.
getchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't yell at her, but I wouldn't coddle her either.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
^
I wouldn't coddle her either. Never said I would.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:

WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I usually don't say anything when things are going bad, but once in a blue moon I vent my frustration on someone on my team even though I know it isn't the right thing to do.

That's actually why I stopped playing LoL. I've been playing online games since the BBS DOOR/MUD days and I've never had to vent my frustrations at anyone. I've face-palmed at some of the stupidity I've seen but loosing my cool with them is only going to make an enemy. And it's not an "I'm older and wiser now" thing because I didn't act like that when I was (checks wikipedia) 13.

Yup since LoL is the most popular game in the world, it is expected a lot of the community to be toxic players Sad.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And again, if there was a real risk of her getting significantly injured in a scenario like this then I'd be entirely in favor of her surrendering. But there wasn't.

This. They weren't upset that she lost the game, which they no longer really expected to win at that point barring a miracle, they were upset because she surrendered when nothing was to be gained by not going down fighting. I was upset just watching that, and yes I probably would have let her know it too. I was expecting her to at least make a dive for the gun because she had nothing to lose.

They even reinforced that idea at the beginning with, "Go down fighting!" which they only rejected due to not wanting to go down at all. That's all they asked of her, if you're going down anyway, go down fighting, and she threw it away. That's what Sonora meant by making their sacrifice not count. If she had fought to the end and lost, her own "sacrifice" would have been on a par with the others' and no one would have blamed her. They probably would have all patted her on the back and praised her for hanging in there no matter what.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
^ That is my opinion also. It was not that she lost, it that she did not even try. There is an old saying that it does not matter if you win or lose, but how you played the game. Sonora was likely also angry at herself that she had put trust into her, believed that Yura's reversal of the going down shooting was spunk instead of just a fear of failure.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Come on, surely you can use a better justification than something a kindergärtner would find petty. The onus is on you to explain why what I said was hyperbole. . .

So you want me to explain the glaringly obvious to you? Fine, then. Saying "it's gotten to the point where apparently the only way to have character growth is to be yelled at and insulted by your leader for your team's own shortcomings" is making an assumption, based on a single scene, that such is the only way the series is going to handle things. That is unreasonable exaggeration, as you have only one instance to base that on, one which is unlike any other scene in the series prior to it or after it so far (and remember that none of the other C3 members had that reaction). And an unreasonable exaggeration is exactly what hyperbole is.

You can choose to believe that you're right if you want, but that doesn't mean that your statement isn't hyperbole until/unless more supporting evidence shows up that it's going to be the norm.

Quote:
It is pretty damn clear from the context that the two did not make up until Yura cut her hair and said that her resolve was renewed.

You know, context? Ever heard of it?

Such as? I've watched the latter part of that episode three times now. The camera never focuses on Sonora or hears her speaking at any point between the time she walks away from Yura after the tournament and when she's cheery again back in the clubhouse after spoiler[Yura cut her hair]. During that time she only appears at all in flashbacks and one brief distance shot. We don't see her facial expression change from grumpy to happy in the club room scene the next day (?), we don't hear her thoughts, we don't have any other evidence of the context you're talking about. If there is something I'm missing here that unquestionably backs up your point here, I'd sure like to hear an explanation of it.

Quote:
Yura's act of surrender, while a disappointing way to end the final for the players involved, did not warrant her leader packing a psyche and being abusive towards her. She's a newbie, playing in her first tournament, who is so green she hasn't even learned all of the basic hand signals. How would she even know that surrender was an unsportsman-like thing to do in this game in the first place? A normal person who doesn't have a stick up their arse would not be so cruel to a newbie. Not in real life face-to-face.

Maybe Rin got under her skin a bit? I'm willing to entertain that possibility, as that behavior was definitely contrary to anything we'd seen from Sonora so far. But I'm also still willing to consider it as a case of "tough love." Or maybe a bit of both. Either way, the others didn't react like that and Sonora doesn't maintain it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
A lot of blah about something that isn't even relevant.

Oh wow. You are so unbelievable it's just . . . ugh.

I was not talking about anything the show did, I was talking about your statement that getting chewed out "...is the kind of thing that Yura needed for her character growth".

Now that I've pointed out such a basic thing, you can go back and construct a relevant argument this time.

Key wrote:
Such as? I've watched the latter part of that episode three times now. The camera never focuses on Sonora or hears her speaking at any point between the time she walks away from Yura after the tournament and when she's cheery again back in the clubhouse after spoiler[Yura cut her hair]. During that time she only appears at all in flashbacks and one brief distance shot. We don't see her facial expression change from grumpy to happy in the club room scene the next day (?), we don't hear her thoughts, we don't have any other evidence of the context you're talking about. If there is something I'm missing here that unquestionably backs up your point here, I'd sure like to hear an explanation of it.

Sigh.

So in other words you admit there is absolutely zero evidence to support your view that the awkwardness/bad blood ended before Yura got her haircut. With no scenes of any sort from that morning to go on we must rely on . . . oh, what's that little word again? . . . context.

How long have you been watching Anime and other television programmes? How long have you been paid to watch them?

Key wrote:
Maybe Rin got under her skin a bit? I'm willing to entertain that possibility, as that behavior was definitely contrary to anything we'd seen from Sonora so far. But I'm also still willing to consider it as a case of "tough love." Or maybe a bit of both. Either way, the others didn't react like that and Sonora doesn't maintain it.

Like I alluded to, tough love is not the only way to get growth out of your newest and greenest player, and it certainly wasn't justified in this situation. It also could have backfired on Sonora. Yura could well have decided that she didn't want to be in a club where the leader is so verbally abusive, especially when it was her own tactical incompetence that they lost.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Like I alluded to, tough love is not the only way to get growth out of your newest and greenest player, and it certainly wasn't justified in this situation. It also could have backfired on Sonora. Yura could well have decided that she didn't want to be in a club where the leader is so verbally abusive, especially when it was her own tactical incompetence that they lost.

Verbally abusive? She basically told her that if she does not want to play, then she shouldn't. Getting shot at is part of the game, everyone in the team took it, and Yura ran away. And it would be frustrating for the teenage girl who lost the match, let her team down, because she decided to make a strategy to accommodate someone who ended up running away at the very end?

Being angry at Yura might not be right, but Sonora already proved herself to be a good person when she did not want Yura forced into the club that she didn't want to be a part of. Isn't she allowed to be a frustrated teenager? And if it took that for Yura to realize that she needs to change herself rather than stay the helpless person she was that could not connect with people, then all the power to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9