• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood Lad (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
That was interesting. I predicted that spoiler[Fuyumi was her daughter] but the doppleganger story was a neat twist.
I don't think Fuyumi and Bell are dopplegangers though-aside from bust-size, they don't really look alike. Anime hyper

According to Japanese wiki, there are 9 volumes of the manga and it's still going. So Fuyumi's main story is probably only one arc and that's the arc we're watching now.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the doppleganger thing doesn't even make sense by the shows own logic; they lost me with the phrase "in the world" {so I guess it's easier if there's more than one world in question or just weirder?} and there's the follow up phrase "meet for the first time".

Sigh. There's more to the story but you're not going to bother mentioning it because we need time for posturing, Norio Wakamoto and setting up plot lines and false leads to plotlines just introduced. Seriously? You have a premise, we don't need crap to get in the way.

Quote:
Actually plenty has happened. It's just the idea of wrapping everything up in one eppie that seems dubious.

No, you're confusing "twists" with an actual story. For example: Where's Wolf? Did he matter? Staz's gang which seems strange now that an actual power hierarchy was introduced? Plus, that spoiler[throne] came complete with, double sigh, motive backstory which seems to be more "our leads should know this by now or at least care." because it kind of relates to the whole "power testing" thing....

Triple sigh. I know; Staz doesn't care.

Quote:
So Fuyumi's main story is probably only one arc and that's the arc we're watching now.

Now that's funny.

Hey, hey, guess who Bloods has in mind for the spoiler[throne. Hint 1: it's not Akim who the show wanted you to think that Bloods wants on the Throne of his father for some reason that just, I don't know anymore.]

Hint 2: He doesn't care.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:28 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Quote:
Actually plenty has happened. It's just the idea of wrapping everything up in one eppie that seems dubious.

No, you're confusing "twists" with an actual story.

No, you are confusing your contention that "nothing has happened" with dangling threads and coherence. I'm not saying that everything that has happened has been paid off or makes sense, I'm just saying that a lot has happened. If you are going to be critical at least understand words, okay? Oh and drop the condescending attitude because it makes you an a-hole (notice I didn't say it makes you "look like" an a-hole, I said it makes you one - that's called precision of language).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:47 am Reply with quote
It could be that despite this being very shounen like, the fights not actually had a lot of important, like there was really not much of a question of who would win, having much at stake, or much resolved. Wolf Daddy seems to be the closest thing to an actual bad guy except for the experiment. Most situations seemed to just lead to another one without solving the answer they have been looking for.

Does not mean nothing happened, although looking for accomplishment might be a different matter, but we have a bit.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Now that's funny.

What's so "funny" about that? =_=
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

Now that's funny.

What's so "funny" about that? =_=

Everything.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Please explain?

Is he saying it's funny to assume Fuyumi's main story is one arc?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I dont think anybody understands what Animegomaniac is saying, not even himself
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I don't think anybody understands what Animegomaniac is saying, not even himself

Yep.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming he means Fuyumi's story is so poorly developed that it doesn't even qualify as an arc. But who knows? Maybe Animegomaniac is just such a happy-jack that "everything" really is funny to him.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Please explain?

Is he saying it's funny to assume Fuyumi's main story is one arc?

It's funny to think that it will get resolved {meaning "arc"}. Her, whatever, kidnapper is the closest word to use at this point, has already said "no" to the whole resurrection business. Why? Don't know but the cynical standpoint is because we haven't worked out any shounen aspects of her combining ability {there I expect something to come up though}. Turning her back to human is the dead end. See? Funny.

Also, an ongoing manga where one character being dead is part of the premise is not going to have a "status change" anytime soon, no matter how many "elixers of life" you give her.

Quote:
I don't think anybody understands what Animegomaniac is saying, not even himself

It's happened more than once, I get a feeling with a show or a book then I have to spend time figuring out "why". My intuition for plotting is definitely better than average, though.

Quote:
No, you are confusing your contention that "nothing has happened" with dangling threads and coherence. I'm not saying that everything that has happened has been paid off or makes sense, I'm just saying that a lot has happened. If you are going to be critical at least understand words, okay? Oh and drop the condescending attitude because it makes you an a-hole (notice I didn't say it makes you "look like" an a-hole, I said it makes you one - that's called precision of language).

It's a story, supposedly but I'm being led around by the nose without any sort of direction. Take episode 9; Now there's suddenly a throne, by the way, which had a king which, as you know, was spoiler[Staz's father] which of course makes him a spoiler[prince]. Or not. Why not?

Because it's not something that "happened", it's "exposition". Like Wolf and Staz being friends, Hydra and Fuyumi being "whatever", the whole spoiler[known nobility being sudden royalty] thing. One of the things that "happened", the defeat of Akim? spoiler[Didn't happen. He's still around and kicking as part of a plan/war between Papa Wolf and Bloods.]

Which reminds, there's now a spoiler[war], though what it involves, means or bodes isn't clear. Which came into the story through exposition of a flashback exposition. spoiler[Did Papa Wolf just let the guy go after the declaration of war?] Yeah, can't let things happen. That would just get in the way of more exposition.

And then there's the meaningless fights which I actually caught on to long ago with that Ogre shopkeeper but I didn't think it would stick. But in hindsight, none of the fights have resolution or stakes, it's all pointless posturing.

And how much that has happened has paid off or made sense, which in story terms would be part of the "development" or "conclusion"? Some, few, enough? I know it's small. The way this mangaka seems to work is that once one idea gets partially introduced, another idea goes flying past and the other gets put on the back burner.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
I would agree with your opinion that elements have been introduced that have been dropped and there is stuff that definitely leaves me confused. But, as I said before, that's different than saying:

Quote:
"The finale's going to be the tenth episode? But nothing's happened yet."

For myself, I don't really care that much that the story is not particularly coherent. I'm invested in the comedy aspects and I find the characters fun. That's what makes it an enjoyable series for me.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Finale

That cliffhanger of spoiler[Braz resurrecting his father ] was surprising. I thought Braz was talking about Staz being the one to overthrow the current king. While it was a short anime, I enjoyed it a lot. I hope season 2 is announced within a year. I gave this a Very Good.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised by that cliffhanger too...so now curious if there will be a season 2 or not. Anyways, there is still a finale.

The episode was okay I guess and was consistent with the comedy part. It wasn't too impressive as I had anticipated though. There's still an OVA to look forward to so I'll expect some more comedy out of that. I'm also rating the show as very good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
too many characters introduced in such a small amount of time. Another two episodes would have been appreciated so more time could be spent on Hydra's family. regardless, I really did like the show and all the wacky characters it came with. I'm looking forward to seeing this again in English on Neon Alley in the future. Giving this a Very Good
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11