• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Villains Redux

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Since Najisa declared the other Villains thread too old, I decided to start up a new thread. So, who is your favorite villain and why?

My favorite villain, or villains are the Homuclus of Full Metal Alchemist. They each have their own personality and each of them have a very interesting back story what with their origins. Their also after a goal that is not very much unlike the heroes and I believe that in their mind, their quest is a noble one. Even if it's through manipulation, and deception.

I would also like to know what you guys think makes a good villain. I believe a good villain is one who does not think himself as actually being evil. A good megalomaniacal villain has to believe that his/her vision will benefit the world. A good villain on a mission should believe that his/her way is the only way to accomplish a goal that is not unlike the heroes, or not entirely selfish. A great villain has to be just like the hero, only with different methods of accomplishing his or her goals.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Your definition of Villain suits more of the Anti-Hero characters. To me a good villain must be unique with unorthodox methods of accomplishing his/her goals.

A villain like that in my mind is:

Gates - Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid - Even though little is known about Gates' background he is still one of the more entertaining villains to watch. This guy is just plain sick........in a funny way. He can make an inhumane action funny. See episode 13 of FMP: TSR to see what I mean. All of you who have seen that episode know what I mean.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:23 am Reply with quote
hmm.. i can't particulary name any villains.. but i like the villains who have reasons for their evilness and have their own problems...

oh.. also villians like Raito Yagami from Death Note who is the main character but is the "villian" and his ways of thinking
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:52 am Reply with quote
Favorite villian...? Hmm, that's a toughie. Lord Ashram from Record of Lodoss War was always a favorite, for some reason. The romance or lack thereof between Ashram and Pirotess was a nice touch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
oh.. also villians like Raito Yagami from Death Note who is the main character but is the "villian" and his ways of thinking

Haru to Ashura wrote:
Favorite villian...? Hmm, that's a toughie. Lord Ashram from Record of Lodoss War was always a favorite, for some reason. The romance or lack thereof between Ashram and Pirotess was a nice touch.

Anything else? These really are incredibly sparse entries.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Haru to Ashura wrote:

Anything else? These really are incredibly sparse entries.

I'm starting to enjoy The Count from Gankutsuou, but I haven't seen enough of the series to make a proper judgement on that just yet. I can't name many because I lot of the anime I like doesn't really have villians per say, (Ex: NieA_7) or the villians are temporary and don't last for very many episodes out the entire series. (Ex: King Kou - Twelve Kingdoms)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1