• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Names Mattel Master Toy Licensee for Naruto

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightHedgehog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:58 am Reply with quote
I thought it was Mattel. Been a long time since I bothered to really look.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
I have always like Mattel as a toy company. They have been around for a long time, and with the Naruto license I hope they will be around for longer still.

But I was really pulling for Toy Biz. Thier figures (especially Marvel Legends, Lord of the Rings line) always have great articulation and fantastic sculpts. O well.
poweranime

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I'd actually like to see JAKKS get ahold of the Naruto License... of all the domestic toy companies that've produced anime figs, I'd take Toynami or JAKKS anyday... I'd give JAKKS respect because they helped reform my idea of the DBZ figures that were so horribly done by Irwin toys (Bandai Battle fig rehacks and UGLY original sculpts). Of course there's the gimmick crap that just needs to be done for the young'ens (vehicles, light-n-sounds, shooting fireballs, Vegeta packed with a gun?), but they also put out that huge Movie collection figs that in all honesty were pretty damn good... Plus, I know a few workers at Jakks that frequent my shop and are totally sold on Naruto, so at least I know the people working on it are pretty passionate about the series.

With mattel going at it... I seriously don't think it'll hit as hard as we want... when I think about it, the Naruto anime airs sort of late for the target Toy audience to actually watch it in a comfortable setting (General toy market is around 2-11, and getting younger). If they were targeting that audience, Naruto should pop in Saturday Morning, or after-school hours. I've never seen Mattel really create a new toy sensation for the older toy audience who I believe are looking for a more 'I am unique for having this' feel, but how can you get that when the world's biggest toy manufacturer produces a gazillion of'em? Its not so Unique anymore... and naruto is not in the same position of popularity as say some former anime megahits like Yugioh and Pokemon, which were pretty much geared for 2-11yo kids

Good luck mattel, in the meantime, I look forward to some killer Toynami sculpts for the naruto series! I'll take a series 2 Sesshoumaru Collectible fig from Tonami over a light-up, removable forehead protector, spark-flashing Shirangan Kakashi by mattel anyday.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote
poweranime wrote:
I'd give JAKKS respect because they helped reform my idea of the DBZ figures that were so horribly done by Irwin toys (Bandai Battle fig rehacks and UGLY original
sculpts).

I have to disagree with you here. Irwin's new sculpts were pretty much spot on from the beginning with only some minor issues. They also gave us some very unlikely figures like King Kai and Dende. However, when Jakks bought the license things have been going down hill ever since. The sculpts were waaaay off on many of the figures and even GT had quite a few misses (their SSJ4 Goku looks nothing like SSJ4 Goku). While Irwin did a lot of repacking, Jakks did it to an even greater degree (VS. packs with no new sculpts, anniversary figures with lame anniversary logos painted on, the new B&W figures, and more). Irwin wasn't perfect, but IMO they did more things right.

Quote:
but they also put out that huge Movie collection figs that in all honesty were pretty damn good...

Irwin did those first under the IF (Irwin/FUNimation) Labs banner, Jakks just kept it going.

Quote:
With mattel going at it... I seriously don't think it'll hit as hard as we want...

I doubt it would be Mattel's fault, I'm sure they'll do everything in their power to make the "next big thing" as popular as possible. I seriously doubt any other company would be able to do more for the title than what Mattel will do for it.

Quote:
when I think about it, the Naruto anime airs sort of late for the target Toy audience to actually watch it in a comfortable setting (General toy market is around 2-11, and getting younger). If they were targeting that audience, Naruto should pop in Saturday Morning, or after-school hours.

9pm isn't so late, especially on a Saturday night when kids are more likely to stay up later. Also keep in mind that in some other time zones it comes on earlier. There will also be the DVD releases and manga to keep kids buzzed on Naruto.

Quote:
I've never seen Mattel really create a new toy sensation for the older toy audience who I believe are looking for a more 'I am unique for having this' feel, but how can you get that when the world's biggest toy manufacturer produces a gazillion of'em? Its not so Unique anymore...

Most toy collectors I know (myself included) HATE figures with limited runs and find that some of the best toys can be bought at Walmart. We don't want the "unique" feel, we want the "get as much for as little" feel. People looking for unique toys can always import (and likely already have).

Quote:
and naruto is not in the same position of popularity as say some former anime megahits like Yugioh and Pokemon, which were pretty much geared for 2-11yo kids

Not yet you mean. Look at DBZ, it took a while for it to really get big, certainly wasn't an overnight hit with a huge promotional push, it actually started modestly in syndication, but its popularity easily rivaled that of Pokemon and Yugioh.

Quote:
Good luck mattel, in the meantime, I look forward to some killer Toynami sculpts for the naruto series! I'll take a series 2 Sesshoumaru Collectible fig from Tonami over a light-up, removable forehead protector, spark-flashing Shirangan Kakashi by mattel anyday.

Toynami isn't doing action figures (or figures of any type), just statues. You'll be getting those killer sculpts, but that's it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
From what I've heard, any non-Barbie toyline from Mattel ends up well... not going anywhere.

Two words: Hot Wheels. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Why was my post about Naruto action figures removed? There was nothing offensive about it. Put it back.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Ninja Barbie, and Kakashi edition Ken with adjustable Koncho action fingers Laughing
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong (and I tend to be a lot these days, SHUT UP), but didn't 4Kids also give the Toy rights for One Piece to Mattel? There are no toys from them in that regard, though that can be blamed on the fact that One Piece totally failed.

There are supposed to be some toys in January, including a super stretchy Luffy (THE HORROR).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2