• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
tempest: request for editorial re: Funi sale

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Hey tempest - if you have the time and inclination, I would love to read your take on the recently announced Funi sale. I remember how useful your discussion over the ADV -> Sentai transition was and it would be cool to have something like that for this situation.
Nephtis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, would be nice to read some form of editorial article after enough time has passed to allow for research/work/etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
This sale is pretty straight forward. I don't see the point.

Gen is still running the company, it's still called Funimation, and there's no reason to believe right now that there will be drastic changes in the way the company is run.

If anything, the company will have a bit more freedom as long as it remains profitable.

The Neo-ADV article was needed because there was a lot to be confused about.

-t
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the sale is far more straightforward that the ADV situation. But considering this is the biggest North American anime business news story to happen in a while, I thought it deserved a bit more attention than the simple re-writing of a press release that it has gotten so far here. Is anybody at ANN even bothering to try to get an interview with Gen, for example?

*shrug*
Nephtis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:08 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
This sale is pretty straight forward. I don't see the point.

Gen is still running the company, it's still called Funimation, and there's no reason to believe right now that there will be drastic changes in the way the company is run.

If anything, the company will have a bit more freedom as long as it remains profitable.

The Neo-ADV article was needed because there was a lot to be confused about.

-t

I guess I'm pretty ignorant over here then, because what you just said was essentially new to me. I have no idea what effect this will have, but I guess if it's that simple than an article isn't needed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote
Of course an article is needed - unless the "News" in AnimeNewsNetwork is simply there for decoration. I'm assuming ANN wants to be perceived somewhat like an industry trade publication, yes? Can you imagine an industry trade publication that, when it finds out about the sale of one of the largest players in the industry it claims to be covering, simply shrugs its shoulders and essentially reprints a press release? tempest recently noted in a thread that he gets enquiries from a number of wellknown publications about anime matters. He is clearly seen by them as a knowledgable source about the industry. Justin has considerable real world experience in the industry and Zac has a strong background in it, too. ANN has the resources, if it chooses to do so, to dig beyond the press release and do the kind of article that any other trade publication would do as a matter of course.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
ANN has the resources, if it chooses to do so, to dig beyond the press release and do the kind of article that any other trade publication would do as a matter of course.

<sigh>

The news article is the article. It's a reprint of the press release because Funimation did a good job with the PR and gave us most of the information needed. We added in a bit of additional info.

This situation is nothing like the situation with ADV. Back then calrification about WTF was going on was needed because the PRs said very little. The PRs didn't say what happened, who was in charge, etc...

That information is all in the current article.

What happened: Navarre sold Funimation (the going concern/company, not its assets) to a group of private investors.

Who is in charge: Gen Fukunaga

Who is backing him: A billionaire and 2 or more other people.

You know what. I'll do the interview. I still don't think it's necessary. But people will probably read it, so hey, it's easy traffic.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
I'm a little astonished you don't think you need to go beyond the very bare bones of what has already been reported. I'm assuming you have no journalistic training, which is fine, but it would appear you have no journalistic instincts, either.

I can just imagine the Wall Street Journal: "Yeah, so GM was sold today. Whatevs."

As Zac pointed out in a podcast a while ago, lots of posters here have a great interest in the nuts'n'bolts business aspects of the anime industry. When a story like this comes up, it's not unusual to see a bunch of us poorly informed spectators groping blindly trying to figure out the significance of the event. It would be useful, in those instances, to have people with the right knowledge and contacts provide some context, interviews with the principals, background, etc.

Are you not the slightest bit curious about how this particular group of investors got put together? Any of the background stuff on Navarre's quest for a buyer? How this sale may impact on Funi's future license acquistion plans or how it will operate in the future? No? Will the sale mean layoffs? Additional staff? All this kind of stuff is hum-drum meaningless chaff, eh?

Hey look, tempest, I certainly don't want to put you out. I'm sure as EDITOR-IN-CHIEF of this fine site you have bigger fish to fry than making sure that the AnimeNEWSNetwork properly covers such a piddling matter like THE BIGGEST R1 DISTRIBUTOR GOING FROM A DIVISION WITHIN A LARGE COMPANY TO A PRIVATE GROUP OF INVESTORS.

Rolling Eyes
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Are you not the slightest bit curious about how this particular group of investors got put together? Any of the background stuff on Navarre's quest for a buyer? How this sale may impact on Funi's future license acquistion plans or how it will operate in the future? No? Will the sale mean layoffs? Additional staff? All this kind of stuff is hum-drum meaningless chaff, eh?

How about "the seamless transition will have no effect on our dedication to customer service or any foreground operations." Technically, every successful merger or independence should work that way, and there's very few things to report about.

Blood- wrote:
Hey look, tempest, I certainly don't want to put you out. I'm sure as EDITOR-IN-CHIEF of this fine site you have bigger fish to fry than making sure that the AnimeNEWSNetwork properly covers such a piddling matter like THE BIGGEST R1 DISTRIBUTOR GOING FROM A DIVISION WITHIN A LARGE COMPANY TO A PRIVATE GROUP OF INVESTORS.

Now you don't sound like requesting but demanding. Surely you don't want to turn in into ordering, commanding, or even threatening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
words

You're really starting to piss me off.

I had a longer response, but there's no point an arguing with you.

Just one quick jab: Apparently you don't read the Wall Street Journal.

-T
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
dormcat, as usual, I find your forays into customer relations are useless. You don't understand that ANN is a business, and you don't understand that I'm a customer, as evidenced by your counter-productive intervention earlier when I complained about having a technical enquiry ignored. I'm not sure what you do understand outside of your duties with respect to the ANN Encyclopedia, but for the good of ANN, you'd be advised to stick to that.

Your quote about the "seamless transition etc." is idiotic. If you believe that regurgitating a press release is journalism, than you inhabit a sphere of stupidity that I am powerless to penetrate.

My quote that you quoted was a pretty obvious display of sarcasm. Perhaps English isn't your first language so you didn't pick up on that? I don't know. In any case, I would be far happier if you refrained from responding to any customer relations matter I may have at ANN. You simply make the situation worse for no good reason.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I had a longer response, but there's no point an arguing with you.

What a waste of popcorn.

If it's any consolation, I am extremely excited you are pursuing an interview with Gen. I've been wanting ANN to do another one for a while.

I'm going to appreciate it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
dormcat, as usual

You can insult me all you want, I don't care. Insult another person (ANN Volunteer or everyday reader, it makes no difference) who is merely providing their peer opinion, and you will be banned, subscriber or not.

-t
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
dormcat is not a peer opinion. He is an ANN representative. He may be an unpaid ANN representative, but a representative nonetheless. However, I am aware that ANN's posting policy precludes insults and impolite discourse towards anyone, regardless of status. I simply find his interventions in these matters incredibly unhelpful and exasperating.

I apologize for any insulting content in this thread, but it is a reaction to something I find mystifying. I realize that ANN is not a professional news organization and do not expect it to be able to function as one. However, it does have the resources to go beyond being simply a glorified, high-end blog, as well. There are lots of sites out there capable of doing the press release re-write thing. ANN is one of the few sites that actually has the capacity to go beyond that. I don't think it is outrageous of me to wish it did so on a more consistent basis.

I am very doubtful of my ability to continue this conversation in a manner consistent with ANN's posting policy, so this will be my last comment on the matter.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see what's so confusing about "Company A owned Company B and paid Group C to run Company B. Company A sold Company B to Group C, so the only difference is that Group C isn't being paid by Company A to run it, they own it themselves."
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2