• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, July 22-28

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
You don't know what the definition of "average" is; have you actually finished primary school? Am I speaking to a little kid? Because if you're a teen or God-forbid an adult then that's just too sad.

Actually, I have, unlike yourself. And, no, you're the one's who's wrong. You always think you're right, don't you? You're not. Loads of adult anime do well in Japan. Just not as well as kids/teens anime. Is that not simple enough to fathom?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
^
Oh, great comeback there. No seriously, I'm literally quaking in my slippers.[/sarcasm]

Have you even looked at the box office returns for adult Anime movies? Of course you haven't, otherwise you'd know how wrong your argument is. Until you do, you don't have any ability to talk about profitability of Anime movies.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
What do you even mean by "adult"? And don't give me a bullshit "you should already know the answer" response. Do you mean having ridiculously overbearing themes like Sky Crawlers or basically any Oshii film? Or something that's just not aimed at 12 year old WSJ readers, like Princess and the Pilot? What are your qualifications.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
^
As in, movies that adults would go to see without usually taking children along. Movies of late-night Anime, essentially.

Or are you so retarded you thought BLOOD-C: The Last Dark was a children's movie?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
No one brought up Blood-C, and by all accounts, you're the one with the severe mental issues.

Evidently, late night anime films do well enough that we're seeing more of them now than ever.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
No one brought up Blood-C, and by all accounts, you're the one with the severe mental issues.

Evidently, late night anime films do well enough that we're seeing more of them now than ever.

Don't say that I have "severe mental issues" when you yourself cannot even grasp simple concepts and pay attention to what's being said in the thread.

Of course such movies as a whole do well enough. I never said they didn't. You haven't been following the thread, you just jumped in and started spouting off. Go back to the start of the thread and actually read what we've been talking about, which is what you should have done in the first place.

I brought up BLOOD-C: The Last Dark because it is an example of a movie squarely aimed at adults as opposed to children. Do you know what an "example" is, or did they not teach you that concept in whatever place you come from?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
The Blood-C manga ran in Shounen Ace and it had a spinoff in Newtype Ace. I haven't seen the movie but I can't possibly see how it would ignore its main demographic for the two manga.

There really aren't very many anime movies that target only adults.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:51 am Reply with quote
^
'Shounen Manga' is an incredibly vague term that covers a vast variety of stories - from simple Adventure tales of exploration and discovery; to hyperviolent Action flicks; to Sports shows full of friendship and teamwork; to dark-toned Thrillers; to sweet Romantic Comedies; to glorified toy commercials aimed at prepubescent boys; to Ecchi-Harem fanservice-fests - aimed at a very wide spectrum of ages - from young boys to middle-aged men, not forgetting all the females who read it too - that one cannot peg the term into a nice neat demographical hole.

You love saying "Title X ran in such-and-such magazine, therefore it is aimed at such-and-such an audience", but the Manga world is more complicated than that. Add in late-night Anime adaptations with expensive collector's Blu-Ray releases and Otaku-targeted marketing programmes, and it becomes more muddied still.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3