• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moe Tournament (nominations closed)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking last night on the way home that certain characters are pretty obvious selections for the list since they are actually adopted or taken under someone's wing in their series (invoking the 'protective' aspect of moe), like Alvis, Chii, Yotsuba (no anime yet, but we can hope..) etc.
Glad Alvis is on the list, though of some others lat night as well but gone out of my head again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with a bulk of the seeds. I just have a few minor issues with some of the auto-seeded characters, due to the fact that this is an english board and that was a japanese tournament. Red should be pulled and blue should be placed in. Otherwise, I'm happy with the list.

Seeds:

Air
Kannabi-no-mikoto
Misuzu Kamio

Azumanga Daioh - AzuDai is popular, licensed and it seems lots of people like Osaka (I like Sakaki myself)
Ayumu "Osaka" Kasuga

Bleach
Orihime Inoue

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
Dokuro-chan

Chobits
Chii

Comic Party series
Aya Hasebe

Fruits Basket
Tohru Honda

Fushigiboshi no Futagohime - 10 ratings, 29 seens...I just don't think it's popular enough
Rain

Gunslinger Girl
Henrietta

Last Exile
Alvis E. Hamilton

Love Hina
Shinobu Maehara

Mahoraba
Asami Kurosaki

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
Nanoha Takamachi

Mai-HiME
Akane Higurashi
Mai Tokiha
Midori Sugiura
Natsuki Kuga
Shizuru Fujino

Maria-sama ga Miteru
Shimako Toudou

Negima
Nodoka "Honya-chan" Miyazaki
Setsuna Sakurazaki
Ayaka Yukihiro

Please Twins!
Karen Onodera

Rozen Maiden
Shinku
Souseiseki
Suiseiseki
Tomoe Kashiwaba - who?

SaiKano
Chise

School Rumble
Eri Sawachika
Tenma Tsukamoto
Yakumo Tsukamoto

Tactics
Youko

Tsukuyomi ~ Moon Phase
Hazuki

Zoids Genesis - 0 ratings...
Rei Mii

That should end up with 32 seeds, instead of the 34 we currently have.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
Azumanga Daioh - AzuDai is popular, licensed and it seems lots of people like Osaka (I like Sakaki myself)
Ayumu "Osaka" Kasuga

I don't see "Osaka" as moe myself, but I agree that the very fact of her popularity will cause a lot of fans to vote for her, whether they grok moe or not. I agree, she should be a seed.

Samurai CDZ wrote:
Fushigiboshi no Futagohime - 10 ratings, 29 seens...I just don't think it's popular enough
Rain

Again, I have to agree. Personally, I like the series - but I recognise that it's not very known outside Japan.

Samurai CDZ wrote:
Rozen Maiden
Shinku
Souseiseki
Suiseiseki
Tomoe Kashiwaba - who?

Tomoe-chan is the girl who spoiler[was Hina Ichigo's first medium, before Shinku defeated Hina Ichigo.] Trust me, she's very, very moe. I can't believe she didn't make an impression on you...

All the same, I have to agree that she appears to be somewhat less known than the rest - and Rozen Maiden is already heavily represented. I have no objection to moving her out of seed status - and into the "dark horse" stable...

Samurai CDZ wrote:
Zoids Genesis - 0 ratings...
Rei Mii

Again, I agree. The ratings (or lack thereof) speak for themselves.

Samurai CDZ wrote:
That should end up with 32 seeds, instead of the 34 we currently have.

32 seeds - 4 each in the 8 groups. So now we just need to have dormcat randomize the seeds and the regular nominees, then we're starting to be ready for round one.

Waitaminute... is everyone done suggesting seeds? It seems to me that PantsGoblin didn't post any suggestions. Or is he happy with this revised list?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Tomoe-chan is the girl who spoiler[was Hina Ichigo's first medium, before Shinku defeated Hina Ichigo.] Trust me, she's very, very moe. I can't believe she didn't make an impression on you...

All the same, I have to agree that she appears to be somewhat less known than the rest - and Rozen Maiden is already heavily represented. I have no objection to moving her out of seed status - and into the "dark horse" stable...

Ah, I know her. She's cute and sweet, she's just not prominent enough for me. That's why I picked her out instead of a Mai-HiME girl or someone else I don't know. Also, only a very few characters make that moe feeling well up inside me.

abunai wrote:
Waitaminute... is everyone done suggesting seeds? It seems to me that PantsGoblin didn't post any suggestions. Or is he happy with this revised list?

Naw. If someone wants to nominate more that's fine. I was just listing it into a 32 seed preliminary set instead of a 200+ list of all characters.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
abunai wrote:

Naw. If someone wants to nominate more that's fine. I was just listing it into a 32 seed preliminary set instead of a 200+ list of all characters.

I just haven't been here for a while. I'm fine with the seeds, I just have two suggestions.

Remove-
Nanoha Takamachi

Ranked #859 in popularity here. It's just not popular enough compared to the other ones.

Add-
Full Metal Panic!
Teletha "Tessa" Testarossa

Full Metal Panic! is ranked #15 in popularity. She should definately be added.

Other than that I'm fine with them.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Remove-
Nanoha Takamachi

Ranked #859 in popularity here. It's just not popular enough compared to the other ones.

Add-
Full Metal Panic!
Teletha "Tessa" Testarossa

Full Metal Panic! is ranked #15 in popularity. She should definately be added.

You are gonna remove THE champion? Shocked I agree with you adding Tessa, but Nanoha is lesser known at ANN only because the series has not been licensed and released in North America. The "popularity" you mentioned is only a visibility index. Ghost in the Shell (movie), Akira and DBZ rank #12, #13 and #14 in popularity, respectively, yet I don't remember there was any moe character in any one of them. Besides, being seeds means they can avoid the first round only. They still have to compete with winners of the first round afterwards.

P.S. While I'm on the most viewed ranking, I noticed that all of us have forgotten

Rei Ayanami
(...................... OTL )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, her. She's only one of the most well known characters in anime history, it doesn't matter Wink . But was she really moe? I didn't think of her like that, but I never really went for her type of character, so I don't know.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:47 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
You are gonna remove THE champion? Shocked I agree with you adding Tessa, but Nanoha is lesser known at ANN only because the series has not been licensed and released in North America.

I agree, the champion should stay. Maybe we can push out one of the lower moe Mai-HiME girls instead? They are well represented already.

We also forgot the 1GO% girls...oh, wait, no I didn't. Razz
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
dormcat wrote:
You are gonna remove THE champion? Shocked I agree with you adding Tessa, but Nanoha is lesser known at ANN only because the series has not been licensed and released in North America.

I agree, the champion should stay. Maybe we can push out one of the lower moe Mai-HiME girls instead? They are well represented already.

We also forgot the 1GO% girls...oh, wait, no I didn't. Razz

I still think she should be removed, but I'm out numbered so I guess Akane from Mai Hime instead.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:07 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I still think she should be removed, but I'm out numbered so I guess Akane from Mai Hime instead.

Okay, so now we have 32 in SamuraiCDZ's list, while keeping Tomoe Kashiwaba, adding Tessa, and removing Akane Higurashi, results in 33 seeds. Who wants to de-nominate the last one? I'll begin to assign random numbering to others and draw a chart once the last one is de-nominated with at least one "seconded" post.

Geez, this thread has been buried in just two days. Rolling Eyes
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:48 am Reply with quote
I vote to denominate Rozen Maiden's Souseiseki as a seed. I just can't feel protective about a girl who dresses up as a boy.

See, I'm not quite as perverted as some people would like to make me out...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:37 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
I vote to denominate Rozen Maiden's Souseiseki as a seed. I just can't feel protective about a girl who dresses up as a boy.

Sounds reasonable, if a bit prissy. Personally, I think tomboys are adorable.

angel_lover wrote:
See, I'm not quite as perverted as some people would like to make me out...

"That there's plenty close enuf fer gummint work, son."

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:23 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
angel_lover wrote:

Sounds reasonable, if a bit prissy. Personally, I think tomboys are adorable.

Mmm, so did you say "aye" or "nay?" I could hardly tell. She reminded me Reni Milchstraße of Sakura Taisen, though.

Both the champion and runner-up have been voted for denomination? Looks like Western fans do have different tastes from Japanese ones.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:15 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Both the champion and runner-up have been voted for denomination? Looks like Western fans do have different tastes from Japanese ones.

I'd like to think Souseiseki got that far simply because of Rozen Maiden fans voting en bloc for any Rozen Maiden character. Suiseiseki is much more to my liking, it's the odd eyes being the other way around that makes all the difference Shocked She can be very tsundere though...
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:19 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Actually I love Nanoha. You're assuming I would denominate her for personal tastes? How dare you Wink . She's just not very popular on ANN, that's why I suggested to denominate her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9