• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Extras Don't Get Any Respect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Also, most anime dubs are much better now and only lightly edited, if at all.

>_> Maybe if you only watch dubs from Adult Swi-

Quote:
Except for shows aimed at kids.

Oh... well... uh... ok then. x_x But if you want a mainstream hit, you have to aim it at kids so then you get all the Nickelodeon and CN-tier censorship so they wont be the same show anymore pretty much

ActionJacksin wrote:
I'm pretty sure most people who got into anime via an edited broadcast version were able to eventually figure out that they were not getting a show in its authentic presentation.

Judging how well received Nostalgia Critic's Sailor Moon, Linkara's Power Rangers, and JesuOtaku's Digimon videos are I'm gonna say no. >_> Those videos would only appeal to people who only saw the dub because anyone whos seen the original versions of those shows would be able to call them out for all their inaccuracies and flat out wrong statements sicne theyre judging the shows based on their American versions x_x Most people actually think those edited TV dubs are good or at least worth acknowledging even if its just out of nostalgia or something, but the fact is those dubs are the faces of those shows to most people and since those people are casual viewers they aren't going to bother to rewatch something subbed. some might care but you also got to factor in all the non-anime fan casuals who will watch them and wont care about anime so much as that one specific show who will then spread misinformation about it

Last edited by Crispy45 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
KoujiTamino wrote:
This company over here owns the rights to the Opening Theme, these guys have the extras; one company owns season 1 and another lays claim to season 2. The DVD-only episodes? You'll have to speak to these gentlemen over here.

...Oh, by the way, this seiyuu's representatives don't approve of his or her vocal performance being used outside of Japan. Have fun working with them. Razz

This is the very definition of unreasonable and ridiculous. It's basically the equivalent of a little kid saying something is his and he won't give it up no matter what.

No, I think it's more to do with money and branding. It has nothing to do with being unreasonable. That Seiyuu's performance maybe hot in Japanese fanbase, but how popular is it in overseas? How are they going to make money in overseas while handling promotions and logistics? How well their oversea licensee is going to promote the performance and make serious money for them? Nobody wants lackluster exposure and wasted cost.
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Wonderwomanhero the reason why most of the ADV thin packs didn't include the extras was because they wanted people to buy the single disc DVD releases. Then when the show was released as a thin-pack complete box set at a much cheaper price point they axed the extras given people a incentive if they really wanted those extras.

But the first 3 thin-packs had all the extras Noir, Rahxephon, and Full Metal Panic all other titles got less disc counts and all the extras removed.

I'll say this out of all the extras the ones in the Noir singles I own I would rate as the best extras worth paying for.
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Another possibility to consider on extras/no extras is disc space - if a re-release is cramming more episodes onto fewer discs, they might well simply not have enough data capacity left to include the extras that are available.
partially

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
KoujiTamino wrote:
This company over here owns the rights to the Opening Theme, these guys have the extras; one company owns season 1 and another lays claim to season 2. The DVD-only episodes? You'll have to speak to these gentlemen over here.

...Oh, by the way, this seiyuu's representatives don't approve of his or her vocal performance being used outside of Japan. Have fun working with them. Razz

One of my personal pet peeves. I just don't understand why they wouldn't want to license out their vocal performance, as I'm sure more exposure would lead to people becoming their fans/fans wanting to buy their product. Just letting their works stay in Japan is missing a good opportunity and gets people upset at their local distributer.

As for anime on TV, I wish more would give it a chance. Maybe a compromise of sorts with the anime makers to license it out cheaply.

I imagine it is usually somewhat a business decision. The actors handling company is planning for future international stardom and doesn't want their pride and joy's debut performance to be voicing some anime. Tainting their precious product.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
As for anime on TV, I wish more would give it a chance. Maybe a compromise of sorts with the anime makers to license it out cheaply.

Agreed. Not only would it bring more diversity and quality to the airwaves, to my knowledge, dubbing an anime is far cheaper that creating a scripted show from scratch (this includes live action), since celebrities are far less likely to act in an anime than even western cartoons. The only thing cheaper than anime would be those crappy reality shows everyone loves churning out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
Also, most anime dubs are much better now and only lightly edited, if at all.

>_> Maybe if you only watch dubs from Adult Swi-

Quote:
Except for shows aimed at kids.

Oh... well... uh... ok then. x_x But if you want a mainstream hit, you have to aim it at kids so then you get all the Nickelodeon and CN-tier censorship so they wont be the same show anymore pretty much

ActionJacksin wrote:
I'm pretty sure most people who got into anime via an edited broadcast version were able to eventually figure out that they were not getting a show in its authentic presentation.

Judging how well received Nostalgia Critic's Sailor Moon, Linkara's Power Rangers, and JesuOtaku's Digimon videos are I'm gonna say no. >_> Those videos would only appeal to people who only saw the dub because anyone whos seen the original versions of those shows would be able to call them out for all their inaccuracies and flat out wrong statements sicne theyre judging the shows based on their American versions x_x Most people actually think those edited TV dubs are good or at least worth acknowledging even if its just out of nostalgia or something, but the fact is those dubs are the faces of those shows to most people and since those people are casual viewers they aren't going to bother to rewatch something subbed. some might care but you also got to factor in all the non-anime fan casuals who will watch them and wont care about anime so much as that one specific show who will then spread misinformation about it

My first anime was Sailor Moon and before that, the also highly edited and badly dubbed Battle of the Planets and Star Blazers (Battleship Yamato). I now often watch unedited and even sometimes subtitled anime. But I guess you're right. Kids exposed to crappy US edited/dubbed anime don't grow up to be true anime fans. Rolling Eyes
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Peter asks:

So I got the Another Complete Collection today, but I see that it is missing episode 0. You can't really consider it complete, now can you? How does such false advertising get approved? Do OVAs and other on disc extras require separate lisencing? I would think that when lisencing a title all that stuff would be included, yet often they're missing (the Index and Railgun omakes, for example). Sometimes they make it in (like the first season of Code Geass picture dramas) but it seems pretty inconsistent.

This is one of my biggest beefs with Sentai. You are never guaranteed to get critical shorts or OVAs that's part of the show (and Another ep 0 did come with the JP box set) Evil or Very Mad

The "complete collection" false advertising also applies to Demon King Daimao. All 6 short OVAs that were included with each Japanese volume are missing! Mad

The same applies to Angel Beats. The short epilogue that concluded the whole show is missing! Crying or Very sad
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Quote:
Peter asks:

So I got the Another Complete Collection today, but I see that it is missing episode 0. You can't really consider it complete, now can you? How does such false advertising get approved? Do OVAs and other on disc extras require separate lisencing? I would think that when lisencing a title all that stuff would be included, yet often they're missing (the Index and Railgun omakes, for example). Sometimes they make it in (like the first season of Code Geass picture dramas) but it seems pretty inconsistent.

This is one of my biggest beefs with Sentai. You are never guaranteed to get critical shorts or OVAs that's part of the show (and Another ep 0 did come with the JP box set) Evil or Very Mad

The "complete collection" false advertising also applies to Demon King Daimao. All 6 short OVAs that were included with each Japanese volume are missing! Mad

The same applies to Angel Beats. The short epilogue that concluded the whole show is missing! Crying or Very sad

Of course in all fairness, this happens with EVERY R1 company. They all have releases out there that are missing extras, OVAs, epilogues, etc. It's not that they don't want to release them, it's that sometimes they aren't available or it's not economically feasible to license them separately.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I think as long as a show is out there in the mainstream, who cares how edited for TV it is, ESPECIALLY if the uncut version is on DVD? As long as it's on TV for millions to see, I'm happy. Plus, most anime needs to be edited to get on North American TV anyway, at the very least for time.

rinmackie wrote:
My first anime was Sailor Moon and before that, the also highly edited and badly dubbed Battle of the Planets and Star Blazers (Battleship Yamato). I now often watch unedited and even sometimes subtitled anime. But I guess you're right. Kids exposed to crappy US edited/dubbed anime don't grow up to be true anime fans. Rolling Eyes

Well, I grew up with anime on Toonami and 4Kids TV. All of them were edited for television. However, while the anime on 4Kids TV did get pretty bad dubs even without considering the edits, the shows on Toonami were for the most part well-done with great voice acting and only minor cuts like with Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Tenchi Muyo, and Gundam Wing. I only watched "dubs" then, and I only watch "dubs" now. I grew up to be a "true" anime fan (elitism is stupid. No fan of anything is more "true" than another...). Rolling Eyes

As for the ones you mentioned, Sailor Moon's English dub definitely had issues, especially in S and SuperS with laughably bad voice acting and dialogue. I've never seen Battle of the Planets, but it did have legends like Casey Kasem and Janet Waldo in it's voice cast (though the edits always sounded stupid to me, they are a product of their time, and not the voice actors' fault). I haven't seen any version of Star Blazers.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I think as long as a show is out there in the mainstream, who cares how edited for TV it is, ESPECIALLY if the uncut version is on DVD? As long as it's on TV for millions to see, I'm happy. Plus, most anime needs to be edited to get on North American TV anyway, at the very least for time.

You may not care, but other people who want anime experienced in its unadulterated form cares.

It is required for terrestrial broadcast due to being "public" airwaves regulated by FCC content rules, but there's nothing legally preventing any cable station from showing anime uncensored. I saw Ninja Scroll movie completely uncensored on Cinemax. Toonami, AS or CN or whatever does not have to be so prudish, especially not now, especially when they are all scheduled sporadically, and all air late night/early am anyways. Anime on TV is not mainstream anymore, since the primary method of exposure and the vast bulk is online. Yet, they are still afraid for some reason.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Toonami, AS or CN or whatever does not have to be so prudish, especially not now, especially when they are all scheduled sporadically, and all air late night/early am anyways. Anime on TV is not mainstream anymore, since the primary method of exposure and the vast bulk is online. Yet, they are still afraid for some reason.

It's the sponsors they have to be afraid of, not the FCC.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
configspace wrote:

Toonami, AS or CN or whatever does not have to be so prudish, especially not now, especially when they are all scheduled sporadically, and all air late night/early am anyways. Anime on TV is not mainstream anymore, since the primary method of exposure and the vast bulk is online. Yet, they are still afraid for some reason.

It's the sponsors they have to be afraid of, not the FCC.

Yeah, I pretty much figured that. But, the attitudes are changing. This exact issue came up with Yahoo's aquisition of Tumblr. Every analyst and press article ask the same question with regards to Tumblr's NSFW content. It seems like after one major stumbling block involving search, they are moving forward with ads. I recall one marketing firm or something expert interviewed saying even mainstream advertisers could find some way to work with it. Sankaku and 4chan also manages to have ads after all. I think main stumbling block might be perception by the sponsors about "cartoons", because in reality the demographics are certainly not kids. They're all mostly male young adults.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
I have grudges with the way the DVD Package works depending on the region. It seems that NA version and PAL version of certain anime DVD has different extras. 4 months ago, I bought UN-Go DVD collection that only works in NA Region. It turns out it had pretty much every details and even the extra episode all for $40. Compare that to PAL region, the DVD package is barebone and all you have is the typical Credits and Advertising. It might have been $10 cheaper but it omits pretty much all the extra features. This bothers me how come most DVD's you buy in Australia get these barebone features. While the main selling point is the episodes but it would be nice if the extras stay in the DVD.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
I still feel like this column is missing something. While I don't think you should copy the previous Answerman, I do think that something interactive, be it questions, fans submitting pictures of their collection that does not include DVDs or Manga (since that's featured in another column), etc. would be nifty. As it stands right now, it's just a page of informative paragraphs, which, while nice, just doesn't grab me. I used to scroll down to the bottom of the page to read what others had written in response to the previous week's question, and I'm rather sad that there's no feature on your column yet that makes me want to do something similar.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4