• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Welcome to Fuccons Week.

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maceart

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
The Fuccons looks scary. Just what the hell is this?! If I want to see inanimate mannequins I'll take a stroll down my local mall.

No thanks.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:09 am Reply with quote
I love how idiots are screaming that this is ANN selling out. God FORBID that ANN should make money. Oh no, that is HORRIBLE.

You want bad advertising? Look at the godawfulshitfiest that IGN becomes. Like when they had their McGriddles things where every bar was a McD, everything had McDonalnds shoved onto this. This is just some colors and text on the outside part, and we can even turn it off .

I for one applaud this, partically because it is one of those "GodDAMN that is a creepy face" things, partially because we can turn it off, and (again) partially that it's not shoved down our throats to the extent that they could have gone.

Thumbs up, ANN. Thumbs up.

Last edited by Lyrai on Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Vukir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:09 am Reply with quote
Well, this set-up is... Umm... Really bad. I don't like it at all.

BUT, at the same time, I never came to this site for the SKIN of ANN. If it pays the bills, fine by me. I won't enjoy it, but, I will not condem it either.

Whatever gets me my Anime News, even if I have to endure something less than pleasant on the eyes. Anime smile I just hope this doesn't happen too often.

At least ANN doesn't throw a million pop-ups at my web browser every time I visit the site and click a link.

Last edited by Vukir on Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:10 am Reply with quote
AnimEdge wrote:
"Selling Out" has the word "Sell" and "Out" in it for a reason.

I hope you guys make enough to cover what ever may or might not be lost for it, becouse i know i wont be coming back any time this week nor every buying this awful show

Now if this was a actual hand drawn animation i could kind of see it, but its not even drawn, and i have still not found the relevence to this "Fuccons" which sounds a whole lot like "Fockers" to ANN besides the fact that ADV owns it, i mean if *instert non anime compainy* came up and said i will pay you XXXX+ amount of money to convert your site into a billboard for a show about a american mannuiqien(sp) family in japan with low enough budget to not even animate them would you still do it?

Some one show me this relevence he mentioned

*edit* im sorry he said interest, not relevence

Leave please. Your ignorance is already annoying enough.

People are over reacting and getting their panty hoes tied up in a bunch.. God, just change the skin, if you don't like it. I'm okay with it, it doesn't bother me that much, or even at all. People are so frickle, it's disgusting.
AnimEdge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:14 am Reply with quote
What "ignorance"?

The only redeming factors is that its owned by ADV and that it can be removed

The point behind it is whats next? First its ads, now its complete skins, are we going to have to watch complete commercials every some odd pages like other sites? why not have some pop ups that flys around the screen wail we are at it, why not if it helps make them money
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Leave please. Your ignorance is already annoying enough.

Now now, no need to be nasty.

We appreciate your support, but AnimeEdge is entitled to his or her opinion.

-t
Oneiropolos

I'm sorry. My brain is just broken over people being this ridiculous over a change in a skin that's there for FIVE DAYS. Refusing to ever come back? Uh...okay. Newsflash: you don't pay ANN money. When ANN starts making profit off of you, then they can be worried when you're not coming back. Until then, A)you can deprive yourself of what ANN has to offer, B) Be a bit more rational and just not come back for five days, or C) Be even more rational, change a skin, and be completely unphased.
RadicaLElly

Personally I think The Fuccons looks funny but it isn't worth a gawd awful color scheme.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:17 am Reply with quote
This whole thing reminds me of ADV's Fortune article, where Ledford was quoted to have intentionally set up Ghost Stories' announcement the way it was because people would be so up in arms about it it would give him free advertising, and how basically everyone complaining was furthering ADV's plan.

Dance, puppets, dance.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:18 am Reply with quote
Well, honestly, it's just a skin. If you're too lazy to click one button and then a second button to change it then I'm surprised you can even get out of bed in the morning or blink your eyes because the effort is about the same. If you're too lazy to change it then the fact it bothers you is your own fault.

It's saved in your browsers cookies, if you change the skin now it will save it that way until you clear those cookies again. It takes all of 5 seconds and you never have to see the "Fuccons" garbage again if you don't want too. In reality it's likely less intrusive than a banner ad because once it's changed it's gone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:20 am Reply with quote
AnimEdge wrote:
The point behind it is whats next? First its ads, now its complete skins, are we going to have to watch complete commercials every some odd pages like other sites? why not have some pop ups that flys around the screen wail we are at it, why not if it helps make them money

As I've said before, we categorically refuse to do pops. layovers, interstitials, sound on load and sound on mouseover (following peoples comments regarding the previous WB banner).

There are a lot of things ANN won't do regardless of the money thrown our way (admittedly, everything has its price, but effectively we'll deny any reasonable offer to do those things, offer us a few $million and we'd probably reconsider.)

We made a conscious decision that this promotion was not something offensive. But in order to find out what our readers thought, we had to try it at least once.

So far most readers have been supportive.

You haven't, and that's your prerogative (as long as you're polite about it).

But it's only been a bit over an hour now. Hopefully most of the people in the rest of the week will either think this is pretty cool or be indifferent.

-t
Vukir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:25 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

But it's only been a bit over an hour now. Hopefully most of the people in the rest of the week will either think this is pretty cool or be indifferent.

-t

I think I sense another Poll at the end of this week. Aside from that, wasn't there just a poll to the readers regarding "how ANN does Ads"? I thought a majority agreed to "whatever pays ANN's bills"... Well, live and learn I guess.
AnimEdge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:27 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
AnimEdge wrote:

As I've said before, we categorically refuse to do pops. layovers, interstitials, sound on load and sound on mouseover (following peoples comments regarding the previous WB banner).

There are a lot of things ANN won't do regardless of the money thrown our way (admittedly, everything has its price, but effectively we'll deny any reasonable offer to do those things, offer us a few $million and we'd probably reconsider.)

We made a conscious decision that this promotion was not something offensive. But in order to find out what our readers thought, we had to try it at least once.

So far most readers have been supportive.

You haven't.

-t

and im betting that a few years ago you would have the same view towards the actual skin of the site as well

Try this? why didn't you post up a poll and see how that went before just dropping it

and how do i not support? i click on your ads when i find something that is interesting, i have bought from "Robert's Anime Store"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
Oneiropolos wrote:
I'm sorry. My brain is just broken over people being this ridiculous over a change in a skin that's there for FIVE DAYS. Refusing to ever come back? Uh...okay. Newsflash: you don't pay ANN money. When ANN starts making profit off of you, then they can be worried when you're not coming back. Until then, A)you can deprive yourself of what ANN has to offer, B) Be a bit more rational and just not come back for five days, or C) Be even more rational, change a skin, and be completely unphased.

Like I said, some people (or maybe just one guy) are overreacting just to make a big scene. They act like they're the victem for some reason. If you dont' like it fine, but no need to go out and scream nasty comments and boycotting just to make a scene.

But I just think the Anime Edge guy is mad because he's suppose to be some kind of "designer" (according to his site) and doesn't agree with the layout? Who knows.

I'm diggin the Trigun skin though.

Last edited by darkhunter on Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:33 am; edited 4 times in total
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
I've actually haven't seen the skin. Mine never changed and is kind of making me wonder why? But maybe I should put on the skin and see how it is because of all these replies it seems like a big issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13