• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
C – Control – The Money and Soul of Possibility (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Wait... What the hell happened at the end. I'm so confused. Am I the only one without a brain cell to decipher this? I mean, this episode was VERY VERY satisfying but I am totally lost. What did I just watch!

I loved spoiler[the battle animation. The various angles and turns for different perspectives was always something I wanted to see. The dialogue felt a little cliche but the subs I used seemed to make it sound a little better. I believe most of us knew that Q was actually Mikuni's sister.

Then there was the Finacial District card - Turns out Kimimaro had the same kind as Mikuni. That was an interesting twist but I felt a little bit cheated not knowing about it. Still it is a good twist. The fight was damn good but the kiss scene was... It felt cheesy.]

I want to give this show a masterpiece ranking but I don't quite understand the end... So until then, it gets an Excellent but I won't rate it. I also want to buy this, FUNI, release it faster.

Unless the ending spoiler[was just basically Kimimaro's future. He did want to protect the future of the people around him so it's accomplished], but god, my mind is full of fudge. I'm going to rage until someone explains it to me or I'll just do a rewatch of the whole episode.
viu6b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
[quote="EmbraceMe"]Wait... What the hell happened at the end. I'm so confused. Am I the only one without a brain cell to decipher this? I mean, this episode was VERY VERY satisfying but I am totally lost. What did I just watch!

Essentially spoiler[ despite everything Kimimaro did to restore everyone's futures, restored futures = the return of the financial district (since holding futures as collateral allows the financial district to thrive). Thus in the end even though Kimimaro won the fight against Mikuni, he still lost the battle because the existence of [C] and the financial district means that everything that just happened can happen again (vicious cycle). So in a way even though the Japan that Mikuni attempted to "save" turned out to be desolate/depressing and only consisted of the present, it would have been the best option in completely eradicating the financial district for good. ]

It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.
Hope that clears things up for you Smile
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
Ah, thanks, that clears up some things.

I understood that Kimimaro spoiler[basically saved Japan and shaped it the way he desired. The thing I didn't understand was the actual meaning of the ending. From what I've heard, nobody recognizes Kimimaro. Don't know how true that is and I'm questioning what happened to Hanabi and the others. This just makes me feel sad.] Gah, I want more!

In other words (after a rewatch of the ending).... spoiler[The end is basically a better future formed by Kimimaro's fight with Mikuni. I reread the dialogue and the female resembling Hanabi IS Hanabi but she doesn't recognize Kimimaro. As viu6b mentioned, the Financial District still exists because there are futures. This seems to be somewhat of a bittersweet ending.]

Ugh, I need to get rid of this sadness lurking around me. Maybe a good fapping session...
viu6b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote
@EmbraceMe

Hmm.. if spoiler[ no one recognized Kimimaro that would explain a lot. I was wondering why he kept hesitating to speak when he came into contact with people he knew. If that's the case, it's possible that Kimimaro's anonymity in his "desired" Japan is a direct result of the consequences for using up so much of his midas money to not only defeat Mikuni but to turn the presses backward. ]

bittersweet indeed. i wish it were a longer series Sad
stinknasty344

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:36 am Reply with quote
I think the series would have been better if it were a 25 episode series, it felt rushed in the end which is why I believe there was soo much confusion going all around. It's like shocking discovery and explanation and going on throughout the whole episode (not that everything revealed was exactly shocking).

It was a good show.
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:11 am Reply with quote
This was... kind of too easy. And the answer wasn't based on econ, either (guess I shouldn't have expected that?..). The (temporary) answer is apparently sacrifice, and it wasn't that hard to predict, but I hoped they wouldn't go for it, as it's really the easy way out - if the future can be restored with one person sacrificing himself, meh, and he didn't even sacrifice much it seems. The currency devaluation thing was a nice touch though, but I can't believe it worked so fully, and so fast. This kind of proves once again how masterful they are at non-conclusive endings Razz

I don't know what the hell was that money god though, maybe King Midas. Not like they're going to explain it.
spoiler[I appreciated the kiss and the music though. Silly me.]
I also thought the music was generally good, throughout the series. Taku Iwasaki didn't disappoint.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Had the same "wait, what the hell just happened" thoughts as EmbraceMe. A bittersweet ending with spoiler[everyone's futures returned to them(albeit a little different than before) but nobody remembers Kimimaro. First, she has a boyfriend and now she has no idea who you are? Tough break Kimimaro.]

My biggest question/thing I didn't understand was what happened to spoiler[Mikuni, photographer, and hotpants? It appears as though they were swallowed up by the changing future. Are they dead or not in this future? Are they alive but with different futures?]

Overall I really like this series and also look forward to purchasing it. I'll be recommending it to a few friends of mine who don't keep up on the currently airing shows. I'd rate this show as Excellent. Also count me as one of the people who enjoyed spoiler[the kiss at the end. Thought it was cute.]

EmbraceMe wrote:
Ugh, I need to get rid of this sadness lurking around me. Maybe a good fapping session...

Anime. Sometimes the endings just force you to fap. If that doesn't convince the masses to convert to Haruhism, I don't know what will.
Kuranosuke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Nosferatu21 wrote:

My biggest question/thing I didn't understand was what happened to spoiler[Mikuni, photographer, and hotpants? It appears as though they were swallowed up by the changing future. Are they dead or not in this future? Are they alive but with different futures?]

I was wondering about this as well. I noticed at thespoiler[ end how the driver mentions the guys(spacing his name, lead role in devaluating currency) employment and I think that has to deal with it. Maybe due to the collapse of the Far Eastern Financial District it's the equivilant of going bankrupt. As for Mikuni says he would live in that day forever..it's another loose end]? Not sure.

Also It seemed like not everything changed back, such as spoiler[the currency they were using was USD instead of JPY. I would have thought that seeing as he was getting the future back, the strength of JPY would return as well. I thought Midas money was based on the local currency and not the other way around. ]
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:

It seems they're screwing with their battle-system again. spoiler[I don't recall hearing that you could choose your opponents - deals were conducted in a random way, weren't they? I might be mistaken though.]

I think you miss it, because I'm rewatching the series right now, and in ep 3 they did mention spoiler[ you can choose your opponents or the random way. Sato said she choose the random way because it's easier for her.]
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:14 am Reply with quote
^ I see, I thought I've missed it, too blatant a mistake.

Kuranosuke wrote:
Also It seemed like not everything changed back, such as spoiler[the currency they were using was USD instead of JPY. I would have thought that seeing as he was getting the future back, the strength of JPY would return as well. I thought Midas money was based on the local currency and not the other way around. ]

Not only is that a problem when you try to make sense of what happened; if you think of the future - the US FD (biggest one there is, with the deepest connection to reality) is spoiler[now basically in control of the two largest economies (the first and third one, to be exact), and Midas money can start flowing in from there. Not a very good end in this light, hm? And does anyone else besides Kimimaro know that you can reverse the rotary press?..]
zatheus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
Not only is that a problem when you try to make sense of what happened; if you think of the future - the US FD (biggest one there is, with the deepest connection to reality) is spoiler[now basically in control of the two largest economies (the first and third one, to be exact), and Midas money can start flowing in from there. Not a very good end in this light, hm? And does anyone else besides Kimimaro know that you can reverse the rotary press?..]

Ah but without spoiler[a black card, the only kind of key to the machine,] what good does it do to have that knowledge? Knowledge is useful but if the ones that could use it ignore it, then it matters not what that knowledge is.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:57 am Reply with quote
Are people actually sure that the girl spoiler[he saw at the end was his old friend? From what I have understood, it was just a girl who looked alike, and he did not even meet any other people that he knew face to f ace, so it is kind of obvious that no one recongised him- since he saw no one who knew him in first place.]

Or maybe I am just having a really blond moment now.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:26 am Reply with quote
@Unicorn_Blade- spoiler[I don't think it's the same girl, because when Masakaki show up in the end, he said something like this to Kimimaro, "Sorry to trouble you as you gaze upon a school teacher who resembles the women you loved.." ]
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
DarkRoseFairy wrote:
@Unicorn_Blade- spoiler[I don't think it's the same girl, because when Masakaki show up in the end, he said something like this to Kimimaro, "Sorry to trouble you as you gaze upon a school teacher who resembles the women you loved.." ]

Wasn't he just being coy? spoiler[As in that was Hanabi but not the Hanabi that he knew; like a Hanabi from an alternate universe]

Also, spoiler[ The survival of the Financial District isn't necessarily a bad thing as stated by the scene just before when he meets the "higher up." Remember that Kimimaro ended up using that Financial District to buy a better future. It exists as an opportunity for people to take their future and turn it into what they want, usually something greater. Of course, not everyone lucks out and the system is fraught with systemic risk.]

spoiler[What I'm confused about is if Midas money has lost its worth, then what was Kimimaro buying the future back with?]
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Does that mean in the spoiler[future] he bought the
Quote:
My boyfriend is here.
didn't happen?

Anyway, it was an okay ending. I found it really entertaining up to episode 10, and episode 11 was just too sudden (although expected). I was hoping for a spoiler[sad] ending even though I knew it was hopeless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6