• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overrated and underrated anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anlushac11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:20 am Reply with quote
Cool

3 titles I think are underrated.

Van Dread - I never hear anyone how has heard of it or has seen it but everyone who has watched it after I recommended it loved it

Narue no Sekai - Same thing, no one has ever heard of it but those that have seen it seem to like it alot.

Big -O: I think alot of people dont like Big-O because it is intense. There are so many clues, and visual clues and back story info going on that you have to watch it several times just to pick up on them all.

I post on adult swim and since Big-O has been on again a bunch of us have been explaining stuff and the meaning of things in the episodes. Now that people have had it explained and they understand to a extent what is going on they think it is very cool.
Raoh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:45 am Reply with quote
Anlushac11 wrote:
Cool
Van Dread - I never hear anyone how has heard of it or has seen it but everyone who has watched it after I recommended it loved it

I agree, I have seen, and own, all of the first stage of Vandread, alot of people do not like newer Mecha series because they will say "Oh, that ripepd off Gundam!", or "yeah, they stole that from Eva", but, I believe Vandread has a unique story and plot, with great animation, I loved it, personally.

I currently am waiting to get enough money to buy the Second Stage, gomen.....thats gonna cost me $120 bucks....oh what we pay for enjoyment.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
megance

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote
i think that the most the most underrated anime ever are twelve kingdoms, seirei no moribito and samurai 7. all the 3 are just amazing. the animation style, the plot, the characters are all amazing. i just cant understand why the animators dropped moribito and twelve kingdoms. i was so unbelievably disappointed and the novel's translation has also stopped!! can it get any worse?? Sad Sad Sad
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:36 am Reply with quote
There was another thread where I discussed my thoughts of overrated anime. Here are my thoughts of some underrated anime titles that don't seem to get much love in most places I visit online.

1. Key the Metal Idol- Key's favorite to miss in the character guessing games. Laughing

Seriously though, this is a hauntingly powerful drama that slowly unveils more pieces of our female protagonist, Key's, origins as she meets with old and new friends, as well as deal with the twisted plans of a military contractor company. Has one of the best soundtracks I've heard in an anime series.

2. Aoi Bungaku Series- If you're a sap for Japanese literature, this anthology series will be a treat for you. This is perhaps one of the best works I've seen from Madhouse to date as they put enough in animating the symbolic scenes of six famous Japanese novels that vary in their intensity and exploration of the various circumstances faced by their characters from the mentally disturbed mind of the male lead in No Longer Human to a struggling playwriter writing a play while frustrated about an old friend in Run, Melos.

3. Requiem from the Darkness- Those wanting to mix horror in with exploring times in feudal Japan would get great enjoyment from this series that dabbles into elements pertaining to humanity's more darker side shown through an author and a trio of mysterious detectives dealing with individuals who are not as they seem on the surface.

4. Angel's Egg- If you've been a fan of films directed by Mamoru Oshii or mind-screwing titles like Serial Experiments Lain, then you might dig this one. Perhaps the most perplexing anime I've seen to date, Angel's Egg is set in a haunting post-apocalyptic world that is beautifully animated for a mid-1980s anime title and is notable for two noteworthy things: focusing on only two characters and featuring hardly any dialogue, instead relying mostly on the actions of the characters and the phoenomena of its world to convey its seemingly religious themes.

5. Comedy- A beautifully animated short from Studio 4C that proves you can tell an effective story in just under 10 minutes. Mainly focused on a girl recruiting the services of a mysterious swordsman to protect her village from a raid of soldiers, Comedy reveals some unusual and shocking sides to this warrior that culminates in a brief and impressively animated action sequence, all within its 10 minute run.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hipnox

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
oh boy.. where do i start.. i'll just pick the biggest offenders.

Overrated:

Gurren-Laggan:
I don't get it. seriously. I don't get what this show is trying to be. It fails at a comedy action show 'cause of the spoiler[sad parts and complete mood change in the later half] yet it fails as a serious show because of spoiler[everything else]. It fails as an action show because the fights get boring fast once you realize it's just the same sequence with the same cliche climax repeated time and again spoiler[Good guys get their @$$ handed to them - Simon yells "ANIKI" at the top of his lungs - Laggan goes into "over 9000!!!" mode - Good guys use super attack - ??? - Profit] . Practically all of the characters are forgettable and the last couple of episodes are completely idiotic.

Deathnote:
I would need an entire thread just to discuss why i think Deathnote fails. I went in because of the hype and was extremely disappointed. Had i seen it without listening to the hype i might have liked it, but as it is, it couldn't live anywhere up to the hype.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand alone complex, first gig:
i went into this series after watching Gits:innocence *Shudders at memories* and was impressed by the visual quality right away. No other series (or movie) can merge so well 3D images with conventional animation like Gits can. Visuals aside, the series was very.. very... VERY boring. The style and mood of the original Gits (which is imo what made it an interesting piece of animation, regardless of the less-than-top-notch story) is completely gone in the series. The Mayor's character is incredibly boring. heck, all the characters are boring. Its amazing how much more character development Batou and Matoko got in an 80min movie than in a 26 ep Tv series.
The pretentiousness of Mamoru ioshi doesn't show as much as in other works of his (*Cries in a corner while in fetal position at the memories of The Red Spectacles*) but it sill there. I felt that the series though it was smarter than it actually was. The "ghost inside a shell" concept wasn't a subtle mystery to be resolved, it was hammered into your skull from Ep 2 and onwards.
It also missed a lot of opportunities to tell more interesting stories that you'd expect from a futuristic world as the one in Git's. That world.. it was too bright, too colorful, too much like a technological utopia, yet the brighter the lights, the darker the shadows, and its in those shadows where the real, interesting stories where, and we didn't get to see them. But that's just me. I didn't even bother seeing the second season but did re watch the original Gits movie. I found it more entertaining then the entire SAC show. Razz

Spirited Away: I may not have been part of the target audience when i saw it (i was around 20-ish) but i found this movie very boring. Yeah, the animation and visuals are nice and the world it presents is mildly interesting.. i just dont see why this movie got so much praise.

I think cowboy bebop is a tad overrated, but not that much. It is a good show and due to its simple and episodic presentation its a great show to introduce newcomers to the medium. You'll find a lot of non-anime viewers that saw it (for whatever reason) and actually liked it. Its a little lacking on the story side, as there are only about 6 episodes regarding an actual story arc, but if you are into episodic stuff its okay.

regarding Evangelion, i am not really in a position to objectively discuss the issue since i rank Eva at my #1, albeit for personal reasons. It is a good show, an excellent show. But its also highly flawed. Its not perfect and i doubt there'll ever be a perfect show, because they are all subject to subjective interpretations and personal preferences. It certainly is a milestone in the industry and inspired many shows after it. It could be considered overrated because in spite of its high praises and critiques, its not for everyone, usually resulting in a love or hate reaction. It certainly is not a show i would recommend to a newcomer unless the are in dire need to dive face first in the icy, dark depths of what anime has to offer.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Over-rated Examples: Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL, and Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Why?: Because the chart shows that the general consensus of user ratings on the respective pages is higher than I feel it deserves. Usually, this means some element of the show I feel is important to have was not present thus justifying a lower rating.

Under-rated Examples: Aquarian Age-Sign for Evolution, Kaze no Yojimbo, and Real Drive
Why?: Because the chart shows that the general consensus of user ratings on the respective pages is lower than I feel it deserves. Usually, this means that the movie or series pushed the right buttons with me and made me when it may not have with others.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Phantom overrated? I don't think we've been visiting the same websites, ANN included.

Even less when you group it with NGE and FLCL which are miles away in terms of popularity.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Phantom overrated? I don't think we've been visiting the same websites, ANN included.

Currently, "Excellent" is it's most common rating here, and I would rate it lower, spoiler[for that god awful ending] so yes.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Maybe a shock originally, but frankly, I've had enough of the good generic endings where everyone lives happily thereafter. Die anime characters, die, at the ending, die; why do they rarely die on the last episodes? Dragon Ball influence or what?

If you want to criticize something, that's the second half's execution, rather than the very ending. I can agree with that. Still hard to consider overrated based on ANN's top, considering that Clannad is there.

Yes, Clannad is there. Can we drop the reliability by 50%?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind characters dieing, or characters dieing in the last episode even. What I don't like spoiler[is when it happens in the last few minutes and feels like a vindictive joke by the staff, pulled from their nether regions, after they've already set up a decent positive conclusion. ] So, I guess yeah, you call that bad execution on the show's part I guess, but I did not have a problem with the second half other than the way it ended and the infamous Bee Train pacing which was a problem with the whole show.
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
Ramen wrote:
Aaron White wrote:
I knew it was only a matter of time before someone said Eva was underrated. I also knew whomever did so whouldn't give any reason for this verdict. Love it or hate it, Eva is an essential link in the artistic development of anime.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I actually liked Eva. But, when you put a sticker on the box saying it's the best anime ever, I'm going to say it's overrated...

Name one better then.
oh you can't.
CB comes close but there's no way any other shows even comes close to the quality of NGE. In all aspects. Is it flawed? sure, what show isn't?.
but overrated? Nope, it is what it is.

BUT, do u know what's underrated?
MUSHI-SHI, well it prolly isn't but id like to think so.

And DBZ isn't overrated.. that show made kids in every school around the world go crazy... how is that overrated? lol

And one more thing...AKIRA overrated? How is the defining anime of the late 80s overrated? The initial bike scene is THE greatest piece of animation you will ever see. Stop taking credit from shows that are really the cream of the creampie.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
ThePoliced wrote:
CB comes close but there's no way any other shows even comes close to the quality of NGE. In all aspects. Is it flawed? sure, what show isn't?.
but overrated? Nope, it is what it is.
And it is what it is it is probably overrated. It is aimed squarely at a narrow fanboy segment of the audience. I think Ghost in the Shell SAC and R.O.D the TV are something I would rate much higher. R.O.D the TV is certainly underrated.
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
Narrow fanboy segment? Maybe it looks like that now, but when it aired on tv it was one of the most popular shows around. Even people that didn't like that sort of stuff was into it.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
Do you really think the mainstream audience that watched My Neighbor Totoro and Only Yesterday could have appreciated that series? I doubt that. I imagine there were plenty of reviews that panned it, and I plan to look them up.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote
It was certainly not a narrow thing at the time.
It was shown at prime time on broadcast television in Sydney for example (where we only had five channels). So yes, it had a mainstream audience there.

There were many things about the series that are still brilliant, like those beautiful character and robot designs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9