• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Article on Anime Bootlegs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote
vickeyv wrote:

What you should do is burn out fansubs on Cd-Rs and Dvd-Rs and give them out to fans for free, this is not illegal if you go for the unlicenced ones. YOu would just be a instant download server metaphoricaly. i know you intend on selling originals of those fansubs later better you might not survive if Mr Henderson isnot stopped.
I don't think there is anything wrong in distributing fansubs since its gonna cost you peanuts and fans download them anyway and even ADV recognizes them as important. But saty away from Licenced fansubs.
Just give away free fansubs of shows which are never likely to be picked up......take this idea and you can spawn several of your own to advertise your shop better under the banner of legal.

Well, that would be sinking to his level, which I won't do. This is why I'm trying to do everthing nice and legal (and fansubs, in the strictest legal sense, are illegal (and watch the flamewar start...). If I really didn't care about legality, I'd be better of just blowing up his store with him in it or sniping him from a distance. Both would be a lot quicker and get instant results. But if I were that type of person, I'd also be dealing in selling bootlegs and fansubs already, so it'd be a moot point.

In my viewpoint, fansubs are strictly in the realm of the fan clubs. They are called "fansubs" for a reason. A proper business should not be dealing with them at all, because they can cut into your bottom line in the long run. ("Why are you charging now? You were giving them away for free before. Couldn't you just give me the fansub version instead because I don't have any money?") The most I might be willing to do is show fansubs, for free, in our community room. But only if I no longer have any fanclubs meeting there.

No, I have to stick by my guns or I will have no grounds to stand on and I will look like a complete hypocrite. If another year passes and the situation hasn't really changed, when my lease is up and instead of moving to a new location, we decide to shut down, then... well, the government and the fans will have spoken and both will be getting what they deserve.
waterox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Ok so I read about 4 pages of this topic and hope no one covered what I am about to say.

Everyone talks about how bad rips are for Anime. Which in a manner of speaking is true. I just wonder how much money the anime company actually gets per ep/dvd sold. I know I know. They get more than they do from a company that does not sell them legally.

But right now the American Anime Industry (Un-Officially AAI) is in some serious trouble do to improper management and greed. And no one ever mentions the largest problem that probably 75% of anime fans contribute to. NETFLIX. Yes they rent legal anime. But the thing is RENT. If you bought a dvd its $20-30. But netfilix will rent out one dvd hundreds of times. This has to hurt right?

Another issue no one ever looks at is something alot of anime stores have had problems with. If an anime has a suggested retail price of $20. Anime distributors only give a 25% discount on anime. But large companies like Bust Buy and Surket City sell dvds for just a dollar or two over SRP. They can afford this due to special rates for ordering 1000's of copies.

Even that is biting the industry in the butt do to the fact that Bust Buy is cutting back on anime sales and sending alot of their stock to discount sales sites.
RedComet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Netflix pays companies in some form to the DVD companies.
anime_man01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(and fansubs, in the strictest legal sense, are illegal (and watch the flamewar start...).

scab!!! Wink

now, if that starts a flame war, then thats sad...

this whole threads about selling bootlegs illeagally, not downloading, however, i agree, its just as "illeagal" in its own essence, but will not make profit nor close someones business...

like I've made it known to many everywhere:

1.i "try before i buy" by viewing some eps that are subbed..
2.i refuse to buy bootlegs...
3.i avidly fight piracy..
4.i too have bootlegs..

does that make me a bad person, but doesnt excuse the facts, period...

however the "boots" were purchased unknowingly...

AND WILL BE DESTROYED BEFORE ID EVER SELL THEM!!!!
waterox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:06 am Reply with quote
[quote="anime_man01"]
Quote:

4.i too have bootlegs..

does that make me a bad person, but doesnt excuse the facts, period...
however the "boots" were purchased unknowingly...

AND WILL BE DESTROYED BEFORE ID EVER SELL THEM!!!!

Well I purposely bought the 1 I have before it was released in th US mainly because I could not get the raws to make an AMV with. The only problem is US companies have to release low quality copies of anime because of the price difference between a DVD in Japan and in the US. For instance I can not watch FMA on CN because it looks washed out.
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:22 am Reply with quote
waterox wrote:
The only problem is US companies have to release low quality copies of anime because of the price difference between a DVD in Japan and in the US. For instance I can not watch FMA on CN because it looks washed out.
The US companies are getting the same anime that is shown in Japan. There isn't any lower quality because of the price difference. The difference in price is due to the market and what you can get away with price-wise in that market. I've purchased many R2 discs and I haven't noticed any differences in quality.

As for FMA looking washed out on CN, I haven't had that issue come up with the DVD's that I own of that series.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:50 am Reply with quote
BuffaloStyle wrote:
waterox wrote:
The only problem is US companies have to release low quality copies of anime because of the price difference between a DVD in Japan and in the US. For instance I can not watch FMA on CN because it looks washed out.
The US companies are getting the same anime that is shown in Japan. There isn't any lower quality because of the price difference. The difference in price is due to the market and what you can get away with price-wise in that market. I've purchased many R2 discs and I haven't noticed any differences in quality.

As for FMA looking washed out on CN, I haven't had that issue come up with the DVD's that I own of that series.

Being broadcast as opposed to being run straight from a DVD has its side effects. R1 companies are also known for buying and/or recieving lower quality masters for certian things than their Japanese counterpart. Even the first four FMA volumes were of a considerably low quality, but just because you don't notice it, doesnt mean it isn't there.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
waterox wrote:
But right now the American Anime Industry (Un-Officially AAI) is in some serious trouble do to improper management and greed. And no one ever mentions the largest problem that probably 75% of anime fans contribute to. NETFLIX. Yes they rent legal anime. But the thing is RENT. If you bought a dvd its $20-30. But netfilix will rent out one dvd hundreds of times. This has to hurt right?

Another issue no one ever looks at is something alot of anime stores have had problems with. If an anime has a suggested retail price of $20. Anime distributors only give a 25% discount on anime. But large companies like Bust Buy and Surket City sell dvds for just a dollar or two over SRP. They can afford this due to special rates for ordering 1000's of copies.

First of all, in order to rent something out, you have to purchase it. And I'm sure that Netflix carries more than one copy of everything. Then there is Blockbuster and Hollywood Video and all of the other rental shops, both on-line and brick-&-morter. That adds up. I know for my own shop that I buy DVDs for rent that I probably wouldn't stock regularly because I wasn't sure they'd sell. Then there is replacing damaged ones or ones that people decided they liked enough to keep Mad And since everyone complains that anime is so expensive, then rentals are the best legal way to preview a series to decided if you want to buy it or not. You end up supporting the industry and allow the rental place to purchase more DVDs for you to view.

Also, Best Lie doesn't sell them for a dollar or two above Suggested Retail Price. They sell a couple dollars above Cost, which is a big difference. Media Play was selling at SRP. But also, when a store purchases it's stock, the anime company has already made it's money (unless you have an account, like Musicland Group did, where you pay a month to 3 months later). At that point, the store could give them away for all the anime company cared.

HOWEVER, if the DVDs just sit on the shelf, then the store cannot recoup the cost of buying the DVD, plus rent, electricity, wages, etc, and will then be reluctant to purchase any more DVDs from the anime company because they can't make any money. Even a company like Best Buy needs to move stock on a regular basis to be convinced that the anime is drawing customers into the store so they can turn around and sell them the DVD players and HD TVs.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:42 am Reply with quote
OK folks, the fun continues. The Letters to the Editor have been published. The link goes to where they start. I'd just like to see the ones they didn't publish.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Ugh... a couple of those responses just baffle me beyond belief. The ignorance shown by people who justify the bootlegs is laughable at best. The only letter that seemed have any legitamate points to it at all was the one written by Bill Maddocks who mentioned some of the problems found within the industry. His points though, are really the exception, and not the rule; moreover, it doesn't change the fact that as a whole, bootlegs hurt the industry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
he American distributors repeatedly drag their feet getting these items to market, pushing fans to find alternative sources.

Quote:
I say all this not to advocate the purchase of bootlegs, but only to illustrate that the lack of respect the industry shows its target audience is partly to blame.

Why are people quick to blame American companies. I mean this person didn't know what anime companies have to go through to bring a product to the U.S., yet they just assume because a companies isn't releasing a series fast enough, they are going out of their way to disrespect the fandom and ruin their own business. What happen to the positive step that companies take to interactive with fans at con or speeding up release such as the Berserk Manga due to demand. People are quick to overlook the goodside but scream foul when something doesn't applease them.

A lot of the other comment are bs too. "now fan can enjoy anime in which they can't afford before". I say, b!tch get a job, save up your money and stop being greedy.

One thing I do want to say in my own experience is that there was this game shop near my house that offer bootleg as well as regular games. One day, I guess someone report it to the fed and the store got raided. The owern was fined 50,000 or so. The owner no longer has the bootleg out on display and I'm not sure if they're in business any longer.

So keep up the good fight and hopefully if you provid enough evidence to the proper authorities, something good might turn out.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:58 pm Reply with quote
It's amusing the reaction that the Letters have gotten as opposed to the article itself. I've had a few customers comment that they feel compelled to write in because they found the bootlickers so incredibly stupid. Wink
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:53 pm Reply with quote
waterox wrote:

Another issue no one ever looks at is something a lot of anime stores have had problems with. If an anime has a suggested retail price of $20. Anime distributors only give a 25% discount on anime. But large companies like Bust Buy and *edit=Circuit* City sell dvds for just a dollar or two over SRP. They can afford this due to special rates for ordering 1000's of copies.

I don't think Netflix hurts the anime industry any more than Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, etc. hurt DVD sales of American movie sales. You know how DVDs have that "licensed for home use only" bit in the FBI warning? Rental stores have to pay something like $70-$85 per DVD to have a copy that they can legally rent out. Sure, I've thought about subscribing to Netflix and doing the old "Rent and Burn" trick to get free DVDs, but it's not really worth the hassle and I'd rather have artboxes, cases, and better quality video/audio.

I'm not really sure--as opposed to Netflix, I think more fans partake in DVD rips and licensed fansubs uploaded on large torrent sites--all you need is an Internet connection, a few GB of disk space, and a couple of days' worth of time.

If you look at MSRP for anime DVDs, you'll see that most normal DVDs are priced at $29.95 or something like that--Vol.1 + Box DVDs or Limited/Special editions with figures & other extras are usually $39.95-$49.95. So, Best Buy (I don't see many DVDs at Circuit City) almost always sells under MSRP, generally at $20-25 per disc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7