• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Ad

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, I need a 1/2 page ANN ad by Monday, and I don't have one prepared Sad

Here are some of the old ads we've made for ANN:

this one appeared in the Kosaicon program:

this one appeares in Protoculture Addicts ever month:

and this one appeared in a couple issues of Newtype.

Unfortunately none of them are the right dimentions for the ad that I need by Monday, and I'm no where creative enough to create one. So I was wondering, anyone here willing to create an ad for us to place in the Fantasia Film Festival program?

It's a 1/2 page (7.375" wide x 5.25" high) full color ad.

Last edited by Tempest on Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:18 pm; edited 4 times in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I can't find the originals for the last two. I believe the original of the Newtype ad is on the local hard drive of my PC at work. And I don't think I have the original PA ad.

I'm heading in to the office tomorrow, so I'll upload the original Newtype ad then.

If you want any inspiration for Jadress, you can look at Robyn's website at http://ra-chan.resentingadults.com/ but the ad doesn't necessarilly need to have Jadress in it. (Although I am kind of partial to Jadress ads)

And thank you in advance to anyone who makes us any ads.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:55 pm Reply with quote
(all the images have been resized for the forum, 600 pixels wide, the originals are much higher quality).

Well, for lack of response, I made one of my own... in the end I'm actually happy with it.

My sister also made this one:

Comments?

Suggestions for improving them, or anything? I need to finalyze this by mid tomorrow.
Delthayre

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I really like the first one, the only problem I can see (and this may be a consequence of being adapted to forum-reasonable specifiacation) is that the text rides the left edge very closely. It's a bit displeasing to my eye. The second one is reasonably good, but strikes me as a bit bland.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:21 pm Reply with quote
oops, 1 more:

Case

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:11 pm Reply with quote
That one looks childish, somehow. (IMO, of course.)

The other two are fine, though I like the first one just a bit more because all of the white space in the second one seems wasteful and unnecessary.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I like the first one, if just because "Internet" is capitalized.

Sorry, it really does bother me if I see an ad and something which should be capitalized isn't, and vice-versa.

And it wasn't really "lack of interest"... just, you only gave us a day's warning and I had other things to do myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:20 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I like the one from Protoculture Addicts and Newtype. By the way, how much did the Newtype ad cost? Just wondering.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ferquin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:50 am Reply with quote
They're nice, but the fonts are way too plain. You need something that'll really grab your attention. No offense, but your standard Times or pretty much anything that was preloaded on your computer, are pretty bland. If you don't mind pop-ups, I highly suggest acidfonts.com for some good free fonts. You'll want to pick something nice and bold for print. You may want to eliminate that fuzzy effect. It won't look too great in black and white. The little comments at the bottom should be a little bigger. You'll want to sharpen them too. I can already tell that if that was in print, it'll be unreadable.

If you're going to have Jadress sit like that, it'd be more natural to have her on the very bottom, not on the letters. It looks a little weird because the letters don't look very solid to sit on. While she's at the bottom, you should crop off her legs (and of course, line the cut to the edge of the ad), just above her thumb, to create the illusion that she's sitting a little off camera. Otherwise, it looks like she's floating. Another thing you may want to consider is to make the image of Jadress bigger. Graphics are much better at grabbing your eyes than text is.

Out of the ones you've got, I would say the one your sister made is your best bet. If you can change the font to make it more eyecatchy, make it big and arrange it so that there isn't so much open empty space, then you've got a winner. Also, make Jadress bigger to help eliminate the empty space and balance the image. Make sure to keep her sitting in the same general spot, on that blue border. Jadress looks very natural sitting on the border. Speaking of that border, you may want to take off the highlights and just make them solid. The way the border was constructed, it wasn't very seamless. Kinda looks like rounded building blocks or pipes. If you sorta blurr the seams, you might be able to get away with it.

Sorry about all the feedback. I wanted to help on this but I've been working all weekend and I have no server to actually host and post an image on. Hope the ad works out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:02 am Reply with quote
I think that the first one is the best of the group, you did a good job o it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1