• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Officially Announces Bleach Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caloris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
[lol troll -Nagi]
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Caloris wrote:

The quality of the subtitles put out by many of the fansub groups is better then the quality of subs put out by the companies. Most of the companies use the same font that is surrounded by a thick black line which makes it hard to read. The companies also don’t do karaoke style songs, the good fansub groups do.

darkhunter was referring to image and translation quality, not fontface. Fontface is a moot point because, like an Anime itself, it is a matter of taste; I dislike many fansubber fonts, as well as the "X-Ploding" attack names. They seem superflous and distracting; I want to watch a show for its animation, not be drawn to the subtitles. If I wanted to just read about a show, I'd eat up a summary or devour the manga counterpart.
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
And thrus the dubby vs. fansubby crap continues. In all honesty, I like dubs and all; but over the years, the quality of dubs have been rather.....errr, whats the term? Ah, I can't remember so I'll just say that they've been getting my "It Pretty Much Suck" rating. As of now, I have yet to find anything far superior in dubbing than "Hellsing", El-Hazard", or "Battle Athletes Daiundokai" (No, don't even say that shows like Gundam Seed, Naruto, and some others that I cant name were good cause in my whole opinion.....they blow & pop smoke also). I'll end up getting the DVDs just to get a good laugh at how the dub will turn out on this one seeing how Im skeptical and all right now after how Naruto & One Piece turned out. Although the fact that Bleach getting licensed is a good thing for the US community, you will always have those who will just hate this for all eternity (like when Naruto got licensed and definetly when OP got licensed).

As for licensing companies and such, yeah, it was a gimme that Viz was going to get it although it would have been better if Geneon had got their hands on it (I know it was impossible but a guy can dream, right?). The only thing I got a problem with this is why......OH WHY, must we always be reminded that such and such show is from Shonen Jump? What I mean is, why do Viz always have to put "Shonen Jump's" in the title design of every single anime from the SJ franchise. To me, I think its rather stupid but I know there are those few who don't know this kind of thing so I wont say nothing else on the matter. Hell, Jo Jo Bizarre Adventure was SJ and we didn't have to be reminded about it in the title logo for that show. Thank goodness Viz didn't get the license over that. Moving right along......

In terms of quality and such, yeah, DVDs will always be the better option over fansubs. Since the distribution companies have "MONEY", of course they can add the little extras and do-dads to make them even more appealing to the public but as to how they take care of such product is to wait to be seen. There are those who don't care about the subtitle quality, resolution & picture quality, etc. as long as their able to watch their show but I still believe when that the fansubbers win in the quality section even with their limited resources & regardless of the fact that they cant do everything that the anime distribution companies have the ability to do. Its to be expected only because the shows are subbed by......well, the fans, the people who actually love what they watch (although, the same can be said about the distribution companies but I've noticed over some time most of them only care about the money IE: ADV Films). As for what Caloris said, I think it would be pretty nice to see the distribution companies do karoke style songs and such for their shows but more than likely their not going to do it since its not such a big deal (IE: more work for something so little....in their eyes I guess. Nah, just too lazy to do something extra.) Personally, I could careless since I'll be continue getting both the fansubs and buying the DVDs when they come out.

All we know for now is that he show is licensed....that's all, so we can't really call no judge as to if the show is a go or blow in its presentation to the US market. All we can do is wait and see how Viz takes care of this. Oh and Viz does decide to go with The Ocean Group for the dub, it will definetly blow. Bang! Zoom seems to be the better option for this one if ya ask me but hey, that's just me talkin. The fansubbies have had their run for the show and they will continue to do so and now the dubbies can get their first glace at the thing if they haven't watched any of the fansubs. Also, now we just have to wait for Bleach to go to Adult Swim so that when the next time I go to the mall, I can see all of the frickin teen goths & such, playing on the DDR machine like its still the "Big Thing", wearing SOME thing that will resemble, if not merchandise, something from Bleach like they did when Naruto appeared on Adult Swim (it is horrible....Naruto T-Shirts, head & wrist bands......EVERYWHERE!!)

*Now I wait for someone to comment on this and try to make me feel like a idiot* ¬_¬
momomochi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind that Bleach will be liscensed and dubbed, it's just that I hope it doesn't go down the tube and disappoints fans like Naruto did. I really hope not. I also hope the voice acting seriously doesn't screw up. Like making Yoruichi's cat voice femenine. I think for sure though Yachiru's voice if dubbed will be high pitched an annoying -_-.

If it gets aired by AS, then great that means it won't be butchered if it goes to Toonami.

The worse that could happen to Bleach is if it got liscensed by 4kids or Nelvana. Nelvana literally destroyed Card Captor Sakura.
daisuke_wto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
why does every 1 keep sayin if only geneon of funi or thank good 4kids didn't get it where's the love for ADV the biggest north american anime distrubeter?? If it was me I would always want ADV to get an anime I like there just the best in my opnion but anyway.

why do all the dub haters have to complain an complain 90% of the time I like dubs am not a dub hater but like i stated earlry I just don't like the naruto dub so instead of screaming and saying am gonna stick with the fansub blah blah am going o wait for the uncut box sets and buy em then and listen to the japanese audio track.

now as for the whole why don't they release subtitles on the jao DVDs think most people dun have a region 2 or 0 dvd player ( I do) so only a few people would buy it while a bootlegger just got raeway to release a subb DVD of an anime day 1 all they gotta do is rip it and re burn it so that'll never work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Caloris wrote:
You’re an idiot.

It's funny when idiots call people idiots.

No trolling. This is your only warning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nerdboy Himself

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote
So long as the DVDs are uncut, sell at a decent price point, and have a decent subtitle track, I could care less about the dub squad.

I'm probably not going to watch it on TV anyway, as it'll most likely be on the same time slot as Letterman.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I pray that they get Gilbert (Iago) Gottfreid to play Kon.

Watch the moron's pronounce it as "Kawn" instead of the right way..."Cone".

I'm glad that Midge "Kaoru" Mayes lives in Cali, cause she was born to play the voice of Tatsuki.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:

Watch the moron's pronounce it as "Kawn" instead of the right way..."Cone".

KOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Zac wins.

I wonder what took anyone this long to make that reference (although not necessarily on this subject matter).
angieness

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Woot! Knew it was coming any day now! My only regret is Viz takes forever to release boxsets
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote
What reference?
Jgobats81886

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
What reference?

It's one of the Star Trek movies. I forget which one.

As for Bleach, cool. I get to see what all the fuss is about.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
To correct the moron at the AS, Inuyasha is NOT animated by Pierrot. That repetitive piece of trash was animated by Kyoto Animation. Please don't confuse the best animation company ever with the morons (Kyoto Animation) that did Inuyasha and still do Pokemon (the only good thing KA did was Fullmetal Panic Fumoffu and The Second Raid).

ADV,where is Fullmetal Panic TSR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

I'd expect a studio to use a professional translator, the cost being significantly more than a hobbyist doing it for free, or a bootlegger using someone with poor english langauge skills.

In case you haven't noticed, fansubs have mistakes in them. These are acceptable because the fansubs are free, these would be totally unacceptable on a commercial product. And bootlegs are often much worse. The better bootlegs are typically stolen fansubs.
My point there was on an economic view. I too would expect the big studios to use professional translators. But what is that? Someone who can read and write both languages fluantly. The smaller studios could use students who have studied English to translate scripts. There are also foreign English students who are there learning Japanese too. Japanese students that are here in the UK learning English, work at translating companies here for basically pocket money and to help pay for their digs (student dorms) Sure there will be the odd mistake but they should be at a minimum.
Quote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
It would take the wind out of the Bootleggers, and the fansubbers reason for doing what they do.

Expensive legit discs will never hurt bootleggers.
True but it will make their activity even more criminal because their reason for selling a sub, for the subtitles, would disappear.

Quote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
The studios won't do it because they are afraid of back importing, but if they set it up so that it can only be bought from any Japanese shop, or on line store, that fear would be baseless.

The original suggestion was that Japanese studios put english subtitles on their R2 (Japanese) releases. I fail to see how Japanese R2 DVDs could be reverse imported into Japan.
That was the reason that AIC had given me at one point. They mistakenly thought I meant for them to sell their subbed discs in the US and UK at the same time.

Quote:
Ghibli recently did this with their Ghibli ga Ippai Collection, yes. Ghibli is also extremely different from the average anime company. Their movies can make well over 100 million at the box office. No other anime studio can claim the same. You're comparing a mass market company to niche market companies.

Gainax tried it a few years ago with FLCL, to my knowledge they haven't repeated the experiment since. Perhaps because they found it wan't worth it.

The option of putting foreign languages on DVDs is bluntly obvious. To think that the Japanese companies didn't think of this already is extremely naive. They've thought of it, and decided against it, probably after doing studies. They're companies, they do what helps their bottom line.

My point is, that if it was worth it for them, they'd be doing it by now.

-t
As I would have thought as well. But if AIC was anything to go by, the thought never crossed their minds when I asked why they didn't do this back in 2001. Then the response that they "don't think it's necessary" was even more boggling! It appears like logic and common sense has little to do with Japanese business practice as well. But with more and more of profits coming from export sales doing this would only help to reduce the leakage by fansubs alone because it would obviously eliminate the need to sub the thing by the fans in the first place, wouldn't it? They would just be open bootleggers if they did which, the way I see them, is what they are anyway hiding under the mask of benevalently subbing for the benefit of the other fans.
It won't eliminate the piracy completely but it can only help towards that goal. And it doesn't have to be as expensive as one might think if it was done in the post production stage before release for duplication. Sure they don't have to if they don't want to, but there is no massive reason not to other than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12