• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann Staff Streams Kill la Kill Anime's 30-Second Ad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
As soon as I saw the somewhat alternative style character designs, I knew people were going to get turned off by it. I'm excited to see what kind of series it turns into and could care less about the character design, unless it somehow doesn't fit the mood of the show.
totoum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Here you go, in section 2.9

Quote:
Most anime still use traditional animation today

As the wiki says:

Quote:
Though traditional animation is now commonly done with computers, it is important to differentiate computer-assisted traditional animation from 3D computer animation

That's where you're getting mixed up,just because computers are being used as part of the process in something like Little Witch Academia doesn't mean it's not hand drawn.

Last edited by totoum on Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Trisection

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_animation

Traditional animation, (or classical animation, cel animation, or hand-drawn animation) is an animation technique where each frame is drawn by hand. The technique was the dominant form of animation in cinema until the advent of computer animation.

So look, I ask again, why is it that when we go into digital vs hand drawn there ALWAYS there "oh look, anime is still hand drawn here and here and here"

Let me say it once more if not not clear enough, when one says HAND DRAWN when confronted with digital animation, hand drawn = full traditional process, really, its simple, it has always been referred as such since forever to refer to the full traditional animation process.

I aint discussing the process here so I am not arguing with you about that,

So no, contemporary anime is NOT hand drawn in the sense as it is referring to traditional animation, period.

The point here is that the animation, which was pointed out as the skeleton of the final product, is still produced the same way. The wikipedia page you linked has the digital ink and paint section right after traditional ink-and-paint and camera. Later on it mentions Gertie the Dinosaur, which was drawn entirely on paper including the backgrounds. They had to redraw even the non-moving parts because everything was on one layer. No cels and paint there, but they animated the dinosaur the same way the animators at Disney animated Snow White.

As I've said earlier, the method of animation hasn't changed and the animator's job has remained the same throughout the decades. A number of animators who worked on Akira and other big productions still work today.

Here's another one from the same page:

Quote:
The methods mentioned above describe the techniques of an animation process that originally depended on cels in its final stages

So only the final stages have changed since Gertie the Dinosaur. The main process, which involves redrawing the character again and again by hand is the same and takes the most time AND skill.

If you ask me, digital animation refers to animation that uses technology to help create movement. The bone tool, 3D rigs, Flash tweening software etc.

The only difference in the traditional process now is the use of digital paint. Back then they had to mix colors, paint the back sides of cels to avoid going beyond the lines and wait for it to dry. This process has no real advantages over digital coloring, which is why even Miyazaki adopted it and he's someone people keep mentioning whenever "hand-drawn" or "traditional" is brought up. When he says he wants to keep his stuff purely hand drawn he means drawing everything that moves in the traditional manner.

This is pretty much the same thing done in the average TV series, but for scenes where they lack the time or skill to animate, like a car in the background while the characters cross the road, they might either opt to use 3D instead or not include the car at all. So yes, there's more CG in anime today, but at best they keep it at a minimum for moving objects. For backgrounds, anime uses a mix of physical and digital paint. Other cases use filtered photographs when the show is set in a real place like Tsuritama.

Here's something I found interesting:

Hayao Miyazaki wrote:
A really bad drawing can become tolerable when it is made into a cel picture, and a good drawing loses its power when it is made into a cel. In short, cels make both good and bad into mediocre.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Currently all anime starts off with sketches which are then scanned. How much remains on paper vs how much is done on the computer varies by studio. For example, cleanup can be done digitally or by hand before scanning. Some have moved onto doing much of the tweening digitally now, with onion-skinning software, digital x-sheets for timing etc. instead of manually on paper on lightbox. (though the key frames sketches are still done this way on paper by most) Aside from obvious 3D models, special effects are mostly CG produced now however.

But for character animation, even if the entire process were digital from the beginning--doing all sketches, storyboards, etc digitally--as is it actually more efficient especially for collaboration and asset management, it would still be hand drawn. Drawing something with a stylus on a tablet is still drawing the image with your hands! In other words, anime is both digital and hand drawn.

Usually the term to differentiate between CG and digital, non-3d CG and flash/vector based animation is frame-by-frame (FbF) animation. Of course a show can have a mix of all of them
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the implicit claim that doing art fully on the computer "doesn't count" is pretty stupid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3