• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hatsune Miku Virtual Idol to Perform at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gurgeh

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
You do know you can buy the DVD? The same concert as what will be shown at AE? Unless they are saying they are going to do this concert "live" as in live band with the vocaloids projected on screen like they did at Zeppo Arena, in Tokyo.
Yes of course that will be a live concert, and of course I already own the Kanshasai 39's DVD as well as my personal rip of the latest Mikupa which IMO was not a failure for those attending it (but yes the footage was disapointing).

Mohawk52 wrote:
If they are going Holographic, look out for strobing lasers which when viewed live is fine, but a bitch to record in any clarity. due to exposure incompatabilities between the giga high frequencies of the beams and any camera/recording equipment.
That's the first reason I posted here, the ANN article clearly says they will do some 3D improvements compared with the original Miku no Hi Kanshasai at the Zepp Tokyo in 2010. But there's no such word on the official site:
Official Mikufes wrote:
The concert is based on the event that took place in Tokyo on the 9th March 2010 named "Miku's Day Thanksgiving", but will feature a few improvements over the original event. The 3D imaging will be created by SEGA and supervised by Crypton Future Media, the creators of Hatsune Miku.
As you can see, there's a wide gap between "a few improvement" and what the ANN editor is implying with his article update:
Anime News Network wrote:
Update: SPJA indicated that the concert is "holographic" with "3D projection." However, the "39's Giving Day" concert in Japan did not use 3D projection.

I was hoping for some clarifications on the forum threads ...

Changing the retro-projection technique of a 3D model on a 2D screen to a 3D projection (and I wonder what it could be since dynamic Holograms do no exists yet).
Best bet would be Musion Eyeliner, but impractical for a big stage serving a concert stadium of 7000 seats.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
Gurgeh wrote:

Changing the retro-projection technique of a 3D model on a 2D screen to a 3D projection (and I wonder what it could be since dynamic Holograms do no exists yet).
Best bet would be Musion Eyeliner, but impractical for a big stage serving a concert stadium of 7000 seats.
I suggest everyone bring their 3D glasses with them then. Wink
My only hope is that Saga had nothing to do with the Miku model they used in that Toyota commercial as that was bloody awful. Her facial features were way too plastic looking. Flat lifeless eyes that looked painted on and a mouth with a flat shallow cheek movement like it was a plastic doll. She looked like a "Barbie" movie model. Not at all like the 2010 Project Diva Dreamy Theatre 3D model they used for that concert in the same year. Rolling Eyes
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow if they alter her image into something that they think will be more appropriate for an American audience, like a lot of other Japanese things are "Americanized" I am going to be seriously pissed. The fans going to her concert are Miku fans, we love her how she is. And please no English language songs. Japanese only.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Gurgeh wrote:
Topic Article wrote:
Update: SPJA indicated that the concert is "holographic" with "3D projection." However, the "39's Giving Day" concert in Japan did not use 3D projection.
Source please ? Or is the ANN editor again confusing the fact that the models are 3D ? There's nothing on the Mikufes page or AX announce saying that the projection technique will be different.
Anyway unless SEGA intend to work using Musion's Eyeliner I don't see the difference with Miku's Kanshasai last year.

ANN is not saying that the projection system would be different, but noting the vague wording in the concert's announcement and related English statements.

SPJA announced that the Anime Expo concert would be based on "39‘s Giving Day" concert in Japan, but also said in English that Miku would be performing in 3D. Outside the press release, SPJA said that the Anime Expo concert would use the same 3D system with multiple projectors as the "39‘s Giving Day" concert. ANN is just noting that the "39‘s Giving Day" concert did not actually use 3D projection, although it used a time-tested (and still very effective) projection method.

Whereas the English versions of the Anime Expo concert's official page and press release emphasize that the concert is "3D," the Japanese version of the official page removes "3D" from the headline and only notes that the "39‘s Giving Day" concert featured the 3D models from Sega's Hatsune Miku Project Diva Arcade game.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Wow if they alter her image into something that they think will be more appropriate for an American audience, like a lot of other Japanese things are "Americanized" I am going to be seriously pissed. The fans going to her concert are Miku fans, we love her how she is. And please no English language songs. Japanese only.
I get the feeling this concert will have the same music as 2010 one with maybe a few 2011 songs added in and I wouldn't be surprised if Crypton introduce the new English language upgrade of Miku at that concert as well. So it will be either something to behold, or a total crash and burn. I'm hoping for success all round. Wink
Sean71976

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I am wondering with all this 'coming to America' going on right now, perhaps Crypton is ready to announce a release date for Miku English. Also, if so, the changes being made to the concert may be Miku addressing the audience in english. Possible?

Sorry Mohawk didn't mean to copy your idea. Damn backwards posting order.
Gurgeh

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
ANN is not saying that the projection system would be different, but noting the vague wording in the concert's announcement and related English statements.
Thanks a lot for the clarification Smile
DJ Tama

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
I can say on good authority (mostly because I have been approved to clarify this) that the concert will be the Live version with the Live band. This is NOT the BD/DVD replay that happened earlier in the year.

Concert tickets are selling fast. If you want to see the concert, it is highly recommended that you purchase your ticket to see it and get your seat reserved as the possibility of the concert selling out is very, very high.

Enjoy.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:12 am Reply with quote
DJ Tama wrote:
I can say on good authority (mostly because I have been approved to clarify this) that the concert will be the Live version with the Live band. This is NOT the BD/DVD replay that happened earlier in the year.

Concert tickets are selling fast. If you want to see the concert, it is highly recommended that you purchase your ticket to see it and get your seat reserved as the possibility of the concert selling out is very, very high.

Enjoy.
And you'll want to be centre stage as much as possible too. Wink
Gurgeh

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quote
DJ Tama wrote:
I think it was clear for everyone that it was a Live performance and not the screen replay that happened at SFO VIZ & NYAF

DJ Tama wrote:
That on the other hand is an interesting information, booking closure is supposed to happen in more than one month (24th June), do you have an insider view regarding how much tickets have been sold already ?
DJ Tama

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:30 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Not technically. As my understanding goes, this is being newly rendered for the performance at Nokia Theater (LA Live) and so the viewing angle will be significant. I'm pretty sure that's being considered.

Gurgeh wrote:

DJ Tama wrote:
That on the other hand is an interesting information, booking closure is supposed to happen in more than one month (24th June), do you have an insider view regarding how much tickets have been sold already ?

I cannot speak on ticket sales or numbers. That information will be announced after the convention has been completed (as per usual) or when the actual event sells out.

As I said before, being about 1 month+1week until online sales are closed, it may sell out on the current trend. There might be tickets available for purchase or otherwise at con, but you are gambling against the fandom of Hatsune Miku.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
DJ Tama wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Not technically. As my understanding goes, this is being newly rendered for the performance at Nokia Theater (LA Live) and so the viewing angle will be significant. I'm pretty sure that's being considered.
If it's anything like the recent 2011 Tokyo concert it will be. Wink

Quote:
Gurgeh wrote:

DJ Tama wrote:

I cannot speak on ticket sales or numbers. That information will be announced after the convention has been completed (as per usual) or when the actual event sells out.

As I said before, being about 1 month+1week until online sales are closed, it may sell out on the current trend. There might be tickets available for purchase or otherwise at con, but you are gambling against the fandom of Hatsune Miku.
Look out for touts. Besides, according to some, hardly anyone outside of Japan has heard of vocaloids, let alone Hatsune Miku so I'll be interested to see if it does sell out at 7000 seats. Don't forget your glowing leak. BTW when is she coming to London? Wink
DJ Tama

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Look out for touts. Besides, according to some, hardly anyone outside of Japan has heard of vocaloids, let alone Hatsune Miku so I'll be interested to see if it does sell out at 7000 seats. Don't forget your glowing leak. BTW when is she coming to London? Wink

http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts/top10worldsongs.html

Look at the US chart, #7. I think you'll find something interesting...

*leek.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
DJ Tama wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts/top10worldsongs.html

Look at the US chart, #7. I think you'll find something interesting...

*leek.
Yeah them too. Laughing Hmmm, impressive...for iTunes. Do they still do the Billboard chart in the US? what number is "she" on that? Wink
DJ Tama

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Yeah them too. Laughing Hmmm, impressive...for iTunes. Do they still do the Billboard chart in the US? what number is "she" on that? Wink

Billboard has nothing on Hatsune Miku in their database, nor very much on any kind of music made outside the US. Considering iTunes is beyond 50-60% of total music sales with Amazon a close second, I think iTunes (as much as I personally despise apple) is a pretty good metric for most music sales.

All-in-all, with Kalafina and the other guests we have coming up, this will be the biggest year for concerts in the history of Anime Expo. In the time I've been with the organization, every year has outdone the last, and this year is no exception. For it to be "The Year of the Fan" alongside our 20th anniversary, we worked hard to make this the most memorable AX so far. Hope you can make it!

Also, keep an eye on AX Live on Thursdays to get the announcements live. We'll be making more announcements all the way up to the week before the convention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6