• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Magical Girl Comedy Anime Magical Play

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corinthian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:
I'm hoping Sentai (as it would be Sentai) could pick up Magical Pokaan, it seems right up there alley, and would make for a funny dub.

I don't think so. There's an entire episode where the characters have an "Engrish Game" where everyone had to speak in engrish or be penalized.

Kinda hard to dub.
My guess is you never seen mongolian chop squad lots of characters in that speak english and it was not hard to dub lots of anime have characters who speak in french or german {the japanese sometimes say stuff in french or german} to fit were the characters are from but it never effects the over all ENG dub Smile

The English dub of Beck (or whatever they're legally compelled to call it these days) handled a lot of the plot-centered English by writing around it. They turned the cultural confusion into a conflict of personality, like Maho yelling at those tourists. When the VAs start speaking an unusual rhythm, it's probably because they're matching flaps for words that were originally stilted English.

For a different, infinitely more awkward job check out Strawberry Marshmallow. They just had the English VAs speak in Engrish and flash an on-screen note saying it was in English in the original Japanese...
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Not buying the blu-rays hurts Sentai but buying these blurays seems unlikely to spur Sentai on to dubbing them later and, I fear, risks sending the wrong message; how many of NISA's sub-only blurays have been re-released with dubs?

To be honest, I think Humanity Has Declined would have been sub-only on DVD alone if they had not decided to do a sub-only blu-ray. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't go back and do a dub if it really sold well.

I would loved to have gotten Tari Tari done on a Blu-Ray, but yeah Humanity Has Declined would look great in 1080p even if it were just subtitled. From what Sentai has said, this seems like a trial balloon. I can see them still doing sub-only DVDs, a few sub-only BDs for those artsy shows that would merit a Blu-Ray and the rest dubbed.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Sub blu-ray dosnt seem right well anyway me have no money for much of anything anymores
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I like that they're trying out sub-only BDs, I hope it becomes part of their normal operating procedure.

Not buying the blu-rays hurts Sentai but buying these blurays seems unlikely to spur Sentai on to dubbing them later and, I fear, risks sending the wrong message; how many of NISA's sub-only blurays have been re-released with dubs?

Sub-only blurays will send these titles to a level of Dub Purgatory so deep that not even Australia (ie:Madman Entertainment) could pull them out. That's a level so deep that I don't think even the greatest of anime theologians could explain what separates that level of Dub Purgatory from bona fide Dub Hell.

It is INCREDIBLY rare for a show once released on disk as sub only, to get a later dub release. The two examples I can think of are Clannad and Blue Drop. All that they are doing is accepting the trend of people wanting to purchase high definition video.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

It is INCREDIBLY rare for a show once released on disk as sub only, to get a later dub release. The two examples I can think of are Clannad and Blue Drop. All that they are doing is accepting the trend of people wanting to purchase high definition video.

Using a newer example is probably better and Nyan Koi! (from this article as a matter of fact, though it was suppose to be released this month) is the most recent example of this.
They still do it from time to time, though I agree, it is a rather rare occurance for them to do so.
victor viper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
I'm hoping Sentai (as it would be Sentai) could pick up Magical Pokaan, it seems right up there alley, and would make for a funny dub.

I'm with you; I'd love to see a domestic release of that show. Plus, for the dub you could just turn the VA's loose and let them do whatever they want.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Why's Di Gi Charat sub-only? There's already a dub around--why not just reuse the English audio track? I may be an ex-otaku but I still appreciate the option of an English dub.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Why's Di Gi Charat sub-only? There's already a dub around--why not just reuse the English audio track? I may be an ex-otaku but I still appreciate the option of an English dub.

The TV show was dubbed. This is the OVA collection. It is only partially dubbed. The later specials were not dubbed in English, at least not by a North American company.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

To be honest, I think Humanity Has Declined would have been sub-only on DVD alone if they had not decided to do a sub-only blu-ray. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't go back and do a dub if it really sold well.

This! These shows would have likely never been dubbed to begin with. I think the last few months of Sentai dubbing virtually everything has spoiled some people into expecting them to continue dubbing all of their shows. They simply have too many licenses, and too many of them are niche, for them to do so.

It will be sometime before we know how their sub-only bluray experiment goes. If they continue to do them, then we can assume it went well. If we get them for a couple months and then we never see them again, then we can assume it failed. Only time will tell.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

This! These shows would have likely never been dubbed to begin with. I think the last few months of Sentai dubbing virtually everything has spoiled some people into expecting them to continue dubbing all of their shows. They simply have too many licenses, and too many of them are niche, for them to do so.

It will be sometime before we know how their sub-only bluray experiment goes. If they continue to do them, then we can assume it went well. If we get them for a couple months and then we never see them again, then we can assume it failed. Only time will tell.

Yeah, I actually did NOT buy several shows just because they were DVD-only, including: Nyan Koi, Book of Bantorra, Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Kampfer, Hatsukoi Limited, Tayutama: Kiss on my Deity, Mayo Chiki, MM!

I don't mind a dub, and I'm always interested in dubs for shows set outside of Japan or a western setting, but I'm getting Nyan Koi not because of the dub, but because it's being released on Blu-ray. I'm still waiting for Bantorra, and there might be a chance that gets onto BD since it's already dubbed.

However, I doubt the other ones will get sub-only BDs. I would love to be wrong though. I bought Amagami SS and SS+ and the Hidamari Sketch series and it would not hesitate to buy them all again on blu-ray. Really hope they decide to release ToLoveRu Darkness on BD this time since the previous in the series were sub-only DVDs.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:

Is it the one with Miyuki Sawashiro in both versions?
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
Why is no one talking about BTOOM! getting dubbed? :3.
I absolutely loved that series and can't wait to get my hands on it. No word of a second season is disheartening but i haven't given up hope yet Very Happy

So sad that "So i can't play H?" isn't getting dubbed but but it's good to have it subbed regardless.

I kind of wished that Sentai would go back and dub Seikon. That would be absolutely hilarious and well worth the endeavor. But alas i fear the show is just a bit toooo extreme if i had to guess why they didn't dub it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm also glad to see Sentai changing their policy on no dub = no bluray. I'm sure many of these titles weren't expected to sell enough to make a dub worth it, so they likely would have ended up dvd only. More often then not nowadays I'm taking a wait and see approach to dvd only releases and holding out for a future bluray release. Not having to do that is a nice change.
I don't see how keeping these (and future) titles on dvd only because they only have subs when they have the license to put them on bluray helps anyone.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Still calling it: Britney Karbowski as the blonde.

Sad Pet Girl isn't getting a dub. That turned out a surprising hit. Maybe it'll get one in the future like apparently Nyan Koi?

Also calling: either Hilary Haag or Monica Rial as at least one of the twins, if not both.

I just realized: if Sentai is now releasing sub-only blu-rays, does this mean we have a better chance of getting Carnival Phantasm over here? Finally? Please, oh please, oh please...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2