• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Reminder: Manhwa-Based Priest Film Opens Today

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
BoxOffice.com's early projections are that Priest will debut at #4 and make approximately $14.7 million domestically this weekend, which isn't fantastic but it's still better than the $10.5 million Scott Pilgrim made on its opening weekend. (Scott Pilgrim is almost certainly the much better film, though I will never watch Priest so it's probably not entirely fair to have that opinion.)

I refuse to believe it's worse than Scott Pilgrim. But it is an American adaption of an Asian comic so.. can't be all that great either.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I think I will just wait until the BD comes out before I see it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It doesn't look as bad as DB:E, but it still looks like a mess. But BOM says it's already made $5 million overseas; and Screen Gems is uber-cheap, so it'll probably break even. Unless it costs at least $80 million...

$60 Million, most expensive release by Screen Gems to date. Expected to flop

asimpson2006 wrote:
I think I will just wait until the BD comes out before I see it.

Buy it used.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Buy it used.

I was going to rent it. I don't buy movies too much anymore.

Though if I do like I will probably a NEW copy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me it's just another zombie movie. I saw the trailer and it looked about like another low budget zombie movie.

Here is the plot: Earth is fine at first, but then for some "magical" reason zombies appear. Even though it probably would have been easier just have soldiers just blast the tar out of them with explosives or what not, priests are fighting instead. And of course, fighting does happen and of course, the world is safe because the good guys won. That is about it.

I don't know anyone else, but if I can guess the ending and overall plot right away, I probably wont' like it.

Obviously, it won't be nearly as bad as the Dragon Ball Z movie, but it could be worse than the Speed Racer movie.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
It seems to me it's just another zombie movie. I saw the trailer and it looked about like another low budget zombie movie.

Here is the plot: Earth is fine at first, but then for some "magical" reason zombies appear. Even though it probably would have been easier just have soldiers just blast the tar out of them with explosives or what not, priests are fighting instead. And of course, fighting does happen and of course, the world is safe because the good guys won. That is about it.

I don't know anyone else, but if I can guess the ending and overall plot right away, I probably wont' like it.

Obviously, it won't be nearly as bad as the Dragon Ball Z movie, but it could be worse than the Speed Racer movie.

Actually, not even close. In the movie, vampires have always exsisted along side mankind. The two sides were at war for centuries, including man kind bombing and shooting the shit out of them, but they couldn't win as the vampires were faster, stronger and bred too quickly.

All the constant fighting and warfare eventually destroys most of the world, leaving it a desolate wasteland, with mankind on the brink of extinction. The church united the remaining humans in cities behind giant walls to protect them. The Priests are specially selected and trained to be human equivalents of the vampires, but were eventually disbanded once humans had believed the vampires were nearly wiped out and no longer a threat.

Anyway, the movie really isn't too bad. Its certainly better than the DBZ and Speed Racer movies, though those were absolute trash and should have never been made. It sort of reminded me of a combination of Underworld and Chronicles of Riddick. If you didn't like either of those, then I would definitely skip it.

They style was interesting, and the effects were pretty good considering the fairly modest budget (by Hollywood standards.) The performances were all solid. All in all, it was okay. It wasn't amazing, but it was probably worth the $8 to see it (or at least the $5 during bargain night.) They were asking people how they enjoyed it as they came out of the theater, and most of the audience liked it, so I wasn't alone in my assessment.

Could it have been better? Yes, but it was a respectable effort for what it was.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I actually just saw this as well, and as a fan of Paul Bettany, I rather enjoyed the movie. I know it isn't even close to the original comic, but it technically wasn't an adaptation. Tokyopop had some freelancer write a novel that would bridge the stories between where the comic ended and where the movie takes place. I've not read the comic nor the novel, so I have no idea how that whole situation worked out, but as a fan of b-grade zombie/vampire movies, this was totally worth my time and money. A good time was had by me.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:07 am Reply with quote
Sunday: That's Pilgrim's budget, so it'll probably likewise make money through international and home video.

Anyway, while I'm glad it doesn't "suck", it still doesn't scream "must-see".
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I agree that the film will be steamrollered by the superfluous & shameless Pirates 4 & the "racially balanced" Thor.

Wiki-In Norse mythology there are 'nine worlds' (níu heimar), that many scholars summarize as follows:

Asgard, world of the Æsir
Midgard, world of average human experience
Álfheimr, world of the Álfar (elves).
Svartálfaheim or Niðavellir, world of the Svartálfar (black elves)
Vanaheimr, world of the Vanir
Muspellheim, world of fire
Jötunheimr, world of the jötnar
Niflheim, world of ice, Hel is located within Niflheim.
Hel, world of the inglorious dead, netherworld.--

We get the 9 worlds bit in the movie, don't we?
In Gylfaginning, Snorri Sturluson describes the Light elves as being more fair than the sun & the dark/black elves as blacker than pitch. Some do question if dark elves might be another name for dwarves, but they are described as "swarthy".
There is also a belief that during the Nordic Bronze Age, the Scandinavians had access to Mycenaean Greece, the Villanovan Culture, Phoenicia and Ancient Egypt thru the shipping trade. The Viking Age came later so there's no reason to believe the Vikings were so isolated in their past they had no exposure to other cultures & people.
Hogun the Grim was created by Stan Lee & is specified as NOT being Aesir like most Asgardians & is, in fact, apparently inspired by Charles Bronson at least visually. Charles Bronson's father was of Lipka Tatar extraction which had their origin in the Mongol Empire of Genghis Khan.
And again, Hogun's backstory places him as from a distant, unnamed land destroyed long ago by Mogul of the Mystic Mountain
Echo_City wrote:
Gone are the days of great/good movies of length which were markedly better because of their length. The days of Patton or Lawrence of Arabia are long gone.

My 6th Grade teacher said a report needed to be like a woman's skirt--long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to be interesting & that applies to most entertainment. I know I listen to longer (10-15 minute songs) less often than more average length (Usually I'm in the mood & listen to it specifically as opposed to playing a cd by an artist because I'm in a general mood to hear Omen or Metallica.
The Marx Brothers made some excellent movies closer to 60 minutes in length & their longer titles like Night at the Opera did have extra "boring" stuff (romance) thrown in vs Duck Soup. (Romance is fine. Just not really necessary in a Marx Brothers movie). Princess Bride is pretty excellent at 98 minutes.
The whole idea is to leave them wanting more, but to not lose the audience. Self indulgent is usually a negative review term.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:21 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sunday: That's Pilgrim's budget, so it'll probably likewise make money through international and home video.

Flop domestically. You also have to add in the fact that the figure might not be covering advert costs, and given how the film is being shilled in Gamestop and on TV at every possible second, that has to cost quite a pretty penny.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Yueh: There's one black guy in a Lily-white cast, and people go ape-shit over it. Besides, it's an adaptation of an adaptation, so I don't see why it has to be 100% authentic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2