• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Files to Prevent Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Licensing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
cohenmarioman wrote:
ANN is simply a blog site as well, yet we trust it ...

Uh.......no it isn't. ANN is a news site. Hense, Anime News Network. They are an official news source as they bring us news straight from Japan. They have some blog posts from the creators of the site, but this place certainly is not a blog site.

cohenmarioman wrote:
The news is somewhere on ANN here, it is true.

If you are referring to this article it does not state what the exact issue is in Japan.

Do you people not realize that no company would announce to the public that they won't allow their Japanese voices to be heard outside of Japan? That would be like McDonalds announcing that their food will make you fat if you continue to eat it.

Last edited by Rukiia on Tue May 17, 2011 8:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Wow, 4Kids just does not want to give up! The Yu-Gi-Oh series seems to be the only thing that's keeping them alive atm.

Yes, that's why they don't wanna give it up. Laughing

That's why they filed for Chapter 11, and not Chapter 7.

Primus wrote:
Jlaking is right. In this case 4Kids is not in the wrong. If their contract (which is yet to become void) says they have control over the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise in this market the Japanese companies shouldn't be attempting to sell the show to someone else.

Though, this will burn any bridge with the Japanese they potentially could've restored. Granted, I don't think 4Kids wanted to make a bridge, but rather ensure they have the franchise for the x amount of years left in their contract.

If 4Kids is not in the wrong (that's still on the courts), then yes, ADK and NAS can't sell the Yugi-Oh license to anyone else. Actually, it's the fact that the license issue is still on the courts that 4Kids is saying that ADK and NAS can't sell it yet.

But 4Kids did burn the bridge, so they may still keep the Yugi-Oh license for awhile, but they may not get the prints for the new series, so they'll only have the old series, unless they can make the courts force ADK and NAS to give the new prints to them.

Rukiia wrote:

P.S I REALLY hope the judge doesn't pass this. This is bullshit and a massive slap in the face to the fans. I am wanting a company like Funimation to snatch this franchise up and finally give the fans what they really want: un-cut DVD releases!

The judge wouldn't look at the fans though, but the words on the contract. The judge won't decide on sentimental reasons.

Rukiia wrote:
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

Ahh, Subbed Yu-Gi-Oh. Where all the trouble began.

I don't think we'll ever see those in America again, no matter who has it.

Unless a company like Funimation snags it. They did release 3 un-cut DVD's of Yu-Gi-Oh! thanks to Funi.

Yeah, which Funi sublicensed from 4Kids, where the trouble about secret deals began. Laughing

Realistically, nobody would pick up Yugi-Oh just to release DVDs, much less sub-only DVDs, unless they have a deal with a network to get it on TV. It's not a show that otaku typically buy DVDs for, and there are too many episodes for a short run. Without the prospect of TV and thus merchandising, it's not a good money risk.

Last edited by enurtsol on Tue May 17, 2011 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Heh, 3 different people (myself included) ended up posting the same link at pretty much the exact same time, but as Rukkiia and I pointed out, that link doesn't specify what precisely the rights' issue was.

That said, it could very well be true that it's all because of the Japanese company not having the rights to that guy's voice outside of Japan. But given that even the blog post linked to was going off the words of an anonymous insider, confirmation of that is unlikely to be found.

cohenmarioman wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
cohenmarioman wrote:

ANN is simply a blog site as well, yet we trust it ...

The news is somewhere on ANN here, it is true.

Umn, ANN is a bit more than just a blog site.

While the news may be on ANN "somewhere", it would be nice to actually have a link to it for confirmation.

Well, it is a site where people post news, but it isn't what one would consider a professional news site, like NY Times and such.

I think you are confusing "professional" with "mainstream."

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Tue May 17, 2011 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Realistically, nobody would pick up Yugi-Oh just to release DVDs, much less sub-only DVDs, unless they have a deal with a network to get it on TV. It's not an otaku show, and there are too many episodes. Without the prospect of TV and thus merchandising, it's not a good money risk.

Aside from the 4Kids version, Fun's version of One Piece didn't get a TV release. And that show is still going on in Japan. They could always stream the Yu-Gi-Oh series on their site? It is still popular in NA.

DBZ also has "too many episodes" yet they released that series multiple times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Realistically, nobody would pick up Yugi-Oh just to release DVDs, much less sub-only DVDs, unless they have a deal with a network to get it on TV. It's not an otaku show, and there are too many episodes. Without the prospect of TV and thus merchandising, it's not a good money risk.

Aside from the 4Kids version, Fun's version of One Piece didn't get a TV release. And that show is still going on in Japan. They could always stream the series on their site?

DBZ also has "too many episodes" yet they released that series multiple times. Yu-Gi-Oh is still popular too.

Actually, Funimation's One Piece version did get a brief tv release. I'm not sure if it was still airing when Cartoon Network pretty much abandoned anime and shut down Toonami or not though.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Aside from the 4Kids version, Fun's version of One Piece didn't get a TV release. And that show is still going on in Japan. They could always stream the Yu-Gi-Oh series on their site?

One Piece had more demand. And subbed Yugi-era Yu-Gi-Oh is still unstreamable.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Aside from the 4Kids version, Fun's version of One Piece didn't get a TV release. And that show is still going on in Japan. They could always stream the Yu-Gi-Oh series on their site? It is still popular in NA.

Yeah, I was about to say that. Somebody could just get the cheaper license for streaming rights, and if there proves to be enough demand, maybe release DVDs later, even if just for select seasons, rather than the whole thing. Yugi-Oh is popular with fans who play the card game and watch TV, not necessarily who buy DVDs.

Rukiia wrote:

DBZ also has "too many episodes" yet they released that series multiple times.

Oh, DBZ went way beyond Yugi-Oh's base reach. Laughing
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Actually, Funimation's One Piece version did get a brief tv release. I'm not sure if it was still airing when Cartoon Network pretty much abandoned anime and shut down Toonami or not though.

Ok, maybe in the States it did but not here in Canada.

WeirDiE_InC wrote:
One Piece had more demand. And subbed Yugi-era Yu-Gi-Oh is still unstreamable.

Yet that might change if another company licenses the series. Who knows what the possibilities could be. Maybe 4Kids did something to piss off Yugi's VA and voice company and resulted in the streams being pulled. Who knows what the real reason behind that fiasco is.

And people were pissed when the sub streams of YGO were taken down. I know I was absolutely livid about it. I say it still has alot of demand. Maybe not as much as OP but it still has a fair amount.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Sentai Filmworks anyone? (I love this company)

Personally, YGO, even though it's popular, the only reason it got so popular and has been kept alive all this time was because 4Kids aimed it at well.....KIDS. The ones who have the most disposable income. Their parents' income.

Kids could care less if the show is edited or subbed. Most of the fanbase is kids and there isn't enough fanbase to support a redub or possible a sub-only version of YGO...

I mean, considering 90% of the fandom here has the "no dub, no buy" attitude, things can not go well for this series.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
4kids are done even if they can keep Yu-Gi-Oh for now. The licensing won't last forever. you mess with big Japanese companies, they will probably never get any anime from Japan again since alot of Japanese companies are kind of like alliance. you mess with one, you mess with many of them.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Tue May 17, 2011 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
4kids are done if they can keep Yu-Gi-Oh for now. The licensing won't last forever. you mess with big Japanese companies, they will probably never get any anime from Japan again since alot of Japanese companies are kind of like alliance. you mess with one, you mess with many of them.

That's why they should start making their own stuff again. They were better off when they did.
Painted Outlaw

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

I'm pretty sure it got cancelled a few months or so before Toonami got shut down.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
[quote="enurtsol"]
Rukiia wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Oh, DBZ went way beyond Yugi-Oh's base reach. :lol:

It's over 9000 I bet.

In all seriousness, Dragon Ball Z was handled by two companies and was handled well each time. As I said before, 4kids had issues to start with.

I imagine that 4kids put more effort in the their work early on, they might had more success. But that also would have meant that they would have had to be less edit crazy, which is impossible for them.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
But...but...but...THIS MEANS AN ACTUALLY COMPETENT COMPANY LIKE FUNIMATION OR VIZ WON'T BE ABLE TO LICENSE IT AND GIVE IT A PROPER BILINGUAL RELEASE!!!111 Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5