• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Sakura Diaries" (chapter 1)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anime uncut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I agree with most of this review, but I have some problems with it at the end.

"Overall (dub) : D+" disagree
"Overall (sub) : B" agree
"Animation : C+" agree
"Art : B+" disagree
"Music : B" agree
You forgot choreography: B+

The intro looks like a music video which summarizes the character pretty well, and gives you a sense of what will happen (even though it isn't really said).
I give the choreography B+, but it would be a full A if it had a little something extra.
The art and animation are too "Speed Racer" like, but manga usually includes it.

To spite what ADVfilms and Amazon say, chapter 1 includes 2 and 3 as well.

"+ Combines an interesting plot with a reasonable amount of fanservice." agree
"- Most concepts are not very original." agree-agree-agree

Nothing is original in American TV either.
The American version stops at chapter 4, 'cause chapter 5 (12 in all) includes a brief rape scene which is intended for character (he was drunk) and story developement (virgin needs a first time).
"Sakura Diaries" is basically a storyline from "Melrose Place" combined with "Something About Mary" and has "American Pie" (the first one) in the mix.
The non-violent nature of this story is what I like, but I have to admit that I was getting into the romantic storyline as well.

Although nudity is not a requirement in a story like this, I too thought the American version lacked the basic understanding of what was going on.
The Japanese version (with nudity) has more going for it, with cleaner DVD graphics and smoother backgrounds (AKA scrolling).

I would have E-mailed this to Chris, but I think you all should check it out as well.

Oh, the name is misleading.
It has nothing to do with "Sakura Wars" or has a "Cardcaptor Sakura" crossover.
In fact, there is no Sakura in the series.
This is because Sakura (cherry blossom) is Japanese slang for shy or demure (blushing) which is meant as an inside joke since Urara pretends to be demore, but really is outgoing.

Also, get out the "First Loves" series from Softcel Pictures.
The story and main character, may seem a little familiar.
Softcel Pictures is affiliated with AD Vision.
Gai Super Napalm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 2:13 am Reply with quote
Doesn't Sakura Diaries predate all of the shows you claim it borrowed from. Even if it didn't, it finds its roots most likely in the plethora of anime that is exactly like it (ecchi humor) and not from american tv shows and movies.

I've given up even mentioning origionality whenever i describe a show or attempt to review it, mostly because I find the argument "It isn't origional" to most often preceed some disgusting display of Otaku knowledge.
anime uncut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Gai Super Napalm wrote:

Doesn't Sakura Diaries predate all of the shows you claim it borrowed from?

I was just comparing the series with things already commonly seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1