• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Amagami SS, MM! TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
oh please say YES YES YES for MM! to get dub really it so asking to do dub me in english.

really got to see it dub for everyone.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I sure wish there was some variety in the anime Sentai acquires. I mean does it always have to be moe, fan service, or echii type shows?
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
They also announced a complete collection for To Love-Ru.

NebsTV wrote:
balanime wrote:
NebsTV wrote:
To love-ru complete collection due out in september!

Did they specify if the To Love-Ru complete collection will have a dub, or be subbed like the previous sets?

They didn't specify, but I'd assume sub-only. If they were dubbing it I think they'd have announced it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I kind of expected Amagami SS to be license since they have the predecessor, KimiKiss Pure Rogue. Still, yay! Hopefully I can get money to buy all these recent licenses.

wasnt hatsukoi limited between those? or was that a seperate studio....I'm fairly certain it was the same people invovled for the most part.

either way, if i had any spare cash, I'd definitely buy amagami SS....im a sucker for those types of anime. love me some VNs too.
strike_zero00

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
strike_zero00 wrote:
Don't see why people are not liking MM! because of no "fanservice" but the matter of the fact is that these 2 licenses seem to be sub-only releases, this could've been good if they dubbed.

Because why cares about it to begin with if it sucks? Its not like a dub is going to make it good since its bad to begin with.

Well I'm sure not everyone hated both those anime but I'm sure the reason why some even want a eng dub included is the higher chance that a Bluray release would accompany it also.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I hope they dub MM! it will be worth it but it worth it subbed
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Nice, I was waiting for Sentai to license Amagami SS, I knew they would. But why MM!? To me that is a bad choice to try to sell to an American audience, but I guess MB did release Kanokon, and dubbed for that matter. So I guess there's a chance the contreversal shows will do good here. I wonder how Kanokon's selling anyways, obviously not too well, as they scrapped the single volume release after 1 volume, and came out with the full season set. But, why did they have to do the OVAs separately?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

MM! and Amagami SS will both "most likely" be subtitled only. However, PR man David Williams did also state that Demon King Daimao was originally going to be subbed-only, too, but gained both a dub and BR release based on some very promising streaming numbers at The Anime Network. (It was apparently second only to HSOTD in that sense.)

Am I weird in thinking that streaming numbers are those willing to pay for a dubbed DVD might be mutually exclusive to a degree?
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
but I guess MB did release Kanokon, and dubbed for that matter. So I guess there's a chance the contreversal shows will do good here. I wonder how Kanokon's selling anyways, obviously not too well, as they scrapped the single volume release after 1 volume, and came out with the full season set. But, why did they have to do the OVAs separately?

I can tell you, I was one of the idiots who were duped in to buying volume 1, you might think they didn't sell well, and volume 1 didn't sell well, but they were selling the complete collection at the cons earlier this year before it was actually released, and they sold out quickly at each con, I had preordered mine, so I got it before megacon, and since rightstuff is selling the complete collection for 17.99USD, they have been selling well enough to go out of stock there at least 2 times that I have noticed.
and if it wasn't selling, then I don't think they would have decided to release the OVAs after that

But thinking about it, maybe MB pulled the wool over our eyes, because when rightstuf originally posted the kanokon complete set on their site for preorder, it listed that it had the OVAs and token episodes, maybe they decided to spit the release up in to 2 releases instead of 1, and if you notice, they are charging more for just the 2 OVAS and the token shorts.

adding the retail price for both, you get a total of 59.97USD, which is the going retail rate of a 12 to 13 episode series with extras, and possibly an OVA, and rightstufs price of both is, 40.48USD, so if anything, MB pulled a great stunt to get up to buy a show, by splitting it up in to two releases, and making us think it was a cheap release...

Last edited by mudduck454 on Sat May 21, 2011 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Man, today was a disappointing day. Not only did I miss the Rapture, I went 0 for 3 on new licenses, with these two and Funi's Zombiewhatever.

KLAC wrote:
oh please say YES YES YES for MM! to get dub really it so asking to do dub me in english.

What is this I don't even?

I am constantly befuddled went people complain about Sentai not dubbing things. It's like if you leadoff man reaches base on a drag bunt and you complain that he didn't hit a home run. One, leave the home run hitting to your clean up man, Funi. If these two shows would have been home runs, then Funi would have grabbed them. Two, if Sentai will turn a profit with a dub THEY WILL DUB IT. Sentai is much smarter than it's former incarnation. They run the numbers and look at the margins, and they know if a dub is a good investment. And it most cases, it's not.
tl;dr version: Leave Sentai alone!

Megiddo wrote:
Really small text

As someone who has the Minami girls as his current desktop background, I would like to second that request.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If these two shows would have been home runs, then Funi would have grabbed them.

Highschool of the Dead, Angel Beats, and Clannad would disagree with that statement. I don't think that "Funi gets first dibs" thing holds up anymore now that S23 is getting their legs back under them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I am constantly befuddled went people complain about Sentai not dubbing things. It's like if you leadoff man reaches base on a drag bunt and you complain that he didn't hit a home run. One, leave the home run hitting to your clean up man, Funi.

Bandai is the clean up hitter. You don't get much better than Bandais top voice actors, like Johnny Yong Bosch, Yuri Lowenthal and Michelle Ruff
configspace

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
sigh.. I could care less for dubs on shows with JP characters.. I just wish Sentai/S23 would release Blurays for sub-only shows for once, like NISA is starting to do...
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Man, today was a disappointing day. Not only did I miss the Rapture, I went 0 for 3 on new licenses, with these two and Funi's Zombiewhatever.

KLAC wrote:

What is this I don't even?

I am constantly befuddled went people complain about Sentai not dubbing things. It's like if you leadoff man reaches base on a drag bunt and you complain that he didn't hit a home run. One, leave the home run hitting to your clean up man, Funi. If these two shows would have been home runs, then Funi would have grabbed them. Two, if Sentai will turn a profit with a dub THEY WILL DUB IT. Sentai is much smarter than it's former incarnation. They run the numbers and look at the margins, and they know if a dub is a good investment. And it most cases, it's not.
tl;dr version: Leave Sentai alone!

Megiddo wrote:
Really small text

As someone who has the Minami girls as his current desktop background, I would like to second that request.

do i need to go "unleash the casey" to get dub for MM! anime?!

give they mention IF who knows might later on pull in get MM! for dub really it got level range to be english dub?

& besides it on my list of current subs need dubs to hear for everyone.

overall sental come please do it give MM! the english dub to make more YES YES YES.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Considering that Sentai has released series subtitled only in the past, I imagine that both series be only be released subtitle only as well. Considering the genre, it's possible they could be dubbed, but I don't think they will simply because of the cost of dubbing both series.

Key mentioned that both series "likely" wont be dubbed and be released subtitle only, so there is a huge chance of that happening.

Sentai probably realizes to make money, they must first spend money. However, spending too much can indeed cause trouble, so they likely will only dub series that seem profitable and maybe even popular.

Even though I am a English Dub fan myself, even I realize the costs of English dubs. It's not very cheap, but it all depends on the actor I suppose. Other factors are involved as well, but seeing as I am not a English dub actor, I am not really sure of all the factors myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5