• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Recommendations for children.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Any Ghibli film with the exception of Princess Mononoke is good for kids imo

Other than that, I guess shows like Yugioh/Beyblade or any cartoon that is aimed to promote toys or cards are good for kids. Most anime have violence in them, those that don't usually have "sex" related jokes. Romance shows are alright, but probably boring for kids

Last edited by Ambimunch on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Did you read this thread before replying? Miyazaki's works are nearly always the first ones mentioned when discussing shows for children. Most of us here are trying to draw attention to much less familiar choices like Kemono no Sou-ja Erin or Dennou Coil.

It seems you posted in about a dozen threads today and, from the comments I saw, you didn't really read any of those threads very carefully if at all.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Did you read this thread before replying? Miyazaki's works are nearly always the first ones mentioned when discussing shows for children. Most of us here are trying to draw attention to much less familiar choices like Kemono no Sou-ja Erin or Dennou Coil.

It seems you posted in about a dozen threads today and, from the comments I saw, you didn't really read any of those threads very carefully if at all.

I mentioned films that she didn't. I posted on like 3 threads today for your information, and who are you anyway, its creepy to know your tracking my posts
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
-_-

We can't help but notice your plethora of sudden posting when we have our settings set to notify us via e-mail when there is a new post in a thread we are watching. I got about a dozen ANN notification e-mails yesterday from topics you had posted in, so no need to overreact.

It's fine to agree with others and name shows that have already been mentioned, but in this forum listing is not allowed, so at least try to say why you think those movies are good for kids.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:

We can't help but notice your plethora of sudden posting when we have our settings set to notify us via e-mail

What am I not allowed to post on a forum? If email notifications bother you, turn them off?
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I imagine that anyone who is bothered by the notifications has already turned them off. I mentioned e-mail notifications because you unfairly accused someone of being a creeper.

Anyway, getting back to the purpose of this thread. I see you edited your first post and mentioned Yugioh. I haven't seen the 200+ episode series, but I have seen the original 1998, 27 episode series and liked it overall. What I really liked about it were the games that the spirit possessing Yugi played. Not the card games, but the quirky, interesting ones with the bullies and robbers that put Yugi in danger. The spirit was able to win because of very clever planning and outwitting his opponent. I haven't tried the long-running Yugioh series because I know that those aren't present in the retelling, but either series would be great for kids.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Ditto to "cool it", Ambimunch. yuna49 is a valued contributor to this thread. And there's nothing creepy about the post of hers you refer to either.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
What I really liked about it were the games that the spirit possessing Yugi played. Not the card games, but the quirky, interesting ones with the bullies and robbers that put Yugi in danger. The spirit was able to win because of very clever planning and outwitting his opponent.

Confused Maybe if you mean the manga, but the Toei anime was complete garbage that made no sense They changed so much and ruined the story of the manga that they had to reboot the series with the later 200+ series because of it. Other people have articulated the points a lot better than me so I'll just copy and paste their posts.

Quote:
In the manga, Atem challenges Ushio to a Game of Greed, upping the money at stake by a lot. Enough to coax Ushio into not just beating Atem bloody. Simple game, they use a knife to stab a stack of bills placed on the top of their hand. Get too greedy, you stab yourself. Winner is whoever gets the most money onto the knife. Since its a Dark Game, Ushio's Greed overcomes his sense, and he is unable to prevent himself from thrusting down with all his strength. So instead, he attempts to stab Atem in the face. Since again, this is a Dark Game, Ushio is punished for cheating. The Penalty Game of Avarice causes Ushio to see everything, even trash, as money.

In the Toei anime, we get a much less realistic game played over a giant pit of death (aka the river). Ushio and Atem hang by a rope from a pole at the top of the school clock tower, its kinda trippy. The game is crap, mostly. Basically a deck of playing cards are spread out over the face of the tower. The card they pick each turn allows them to move that many tiles up the wall (i.e. Ace is 1 tile, 6 of Clubs is 6 tiles, and so on). Since its the same rope shared between them, the loser ends up falling into the pit of death while the winner makes it safely to the top. Ushio cheats, obviously, and is Penalty Game'd. However this game has nothing to do the the original moral.

The manga's game was to challenge Ushio's greed. In the Toei game he was just trying not to die. And in the Toei, where he had a more valid reason to cheat, he actually played along until he lost because Atem kept getting all the high-numbered cards because of pure luck. The Toei missed the point of the game entirely. Dark Games were meant to be Trials in the same vein as the Trial of the Heart carried out by Anubis against the dead, in order to determine his or her worthiness to enter the afterlife. Ushio's Greed was on trial and he failed. His Penalty Game was meant to make him realize the folly of that greed. In the Toei, his Penalty Game is being dropped into the illusionary pit where he is eaten alive by monsters at the bottom. Not sure what lesson that was meant to teach. And so, the next day, Ushio is found crying like a baby.

Though i'm not sure either series is really suitable for kids. Maybe if they watch the 4Kids dub but the original versions of these shows have violence, blood, sex, rape, and all kinds of stuff I dont think parents would like their kids to see
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
^ Interesting. I'm completely unfamiliar with the manga and the 200+ episode series, but reading what you quoted has made me interested in sampling them.

I don't know about the manga and the second series, but the 1998 Yugioh series should be fine for kids IIRC. That I remember it had no sex or rape and very minimal blood.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Ditto to "cool it", Ambimunch. yuna49 is a valued contributor to this thread. And there's nothing creepy about the post of hers you refer to either.

Thanks, ailblentyn, though I have to admit to being a guy. I took yuna as a name on couple of forums a long time ago when my daughter and I were playing Final Fantasy X. I've never bothered to change it.

And, seeing Ambimunch's array of postings required no effort on my part, since I have a link to the "new posts" search listing page. He or she was the last person to appear in a number of threads.
partysmores

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
-_-

We can't help but notice your plethora of sudden posting when we have our settings set to notify us via e-mail when there is a new post in a thread we are watching. I got about a dozen ANN notification e-mails yesterday from topics you had posted in, so no need to overreact.

It's fine to agree with others and name shows that have already been mentioned, but in this forum listing is not allowed, so at least try to say why you think those movies are good for kids.

Hate to tell you, but it's kinda creepy you're opening them. I just delete 'em.

Anyways --- would Tenchi in Tokyo be out of the question? It's no doubt one of the tamest of the Tenchi saga; comedic violence, very mild language, and for once no nudity.

In fact, I have a plan for how you could order it with your kids by content (my brother's up to Ryo-Ohki at the moment, soon to be on the original OVAs):

Tenchi in Tokyo: Age 8
Tenchi Universe: Age 9
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki: Age 10
Tenchi Muyo! original OVAs: Age 11
Tenchi Muyo! GXP + the movies (since these are the most risque): Age 12
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
[...] though I have to admit to being a guy
Oops. Sorry about that!
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
-_-

Hate to tell you, but it's kinda creepy you're opening them. I just delete 'em.
Question Confused
How is reading public posts in a thread that interests you creepy?
I follow certain topics, even if I don't post in them, because I am interested in reading other people's thoughts on the matter at hand. I fail to see how that makes me creepy.
EricJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
Anyways --- would Tenchi in Tokyo be out of the question? It's no doubt one of the tamest of the Tenchi saga; comedic violence, very mild language, and for once no nudity.

When was there nudity in Tenchi Universe? Did I miss it??
Seemed kid-friendly enough to me, whereas the OVA series, um....(ahem)...wasn't. Shocked

(And starting with Tenchi in Tokyo would be a bit confusing, since it takes place chronologically after Universe, where most of the characters showed up for the first time.
Although Tokyo reboots the "meeting" story mid-season, we have the characters already in on the first episode, and they definitely take a little explaining.)
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote
I seem to remember the first three episodes or so of the original OVA being more or less G-rated, and then...
And wasn't there a super-inappropriate special or something on the second disc of the OVA too? Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 22