• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Recommendations for children.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pumirya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:08 pm Reply with quote
nausicaa of the valley of the wind. Its a good miyazaki'studio ghibli" film.It does have some mild violence,but the gore factore is of course very low,and the overall film could be suitable.
Kidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
pumirya wrote:
nausicaa of the valley of the wind. Its a good miyazaki'studio ghibli" film.It does have some mild violence,but the gore factore is of course very low,and the overall film could be suitable.

Actually I think it might not be that suitable because there are a lot of rather nasty looking giant bugs. If your little girl doesn't mind bugs then she'll definately enjoy this film, but if she finds bugs disgusting or scary then best avoid this till she's older.
bluepita

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote
As much as I love Nausicaa and Mononoke, I think they may scare her. Lol, it makes her pretty mad ,too, because she really wants to see them. A couple more years maybe. Great shows and good suggestions, though. Smile

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I've got a great list now!
child_of_marvel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote
First of all, heya! Just joined...

But anyways, my little sister adores Fruits Basket and numerous other animes. However, she's only nine, and I don't know what type of anime to hook her up with, as everything I watch is totally inappropriate for her. Any suggestions?
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
My Neighbour Totoro is a movie that is child friendly.
child_of_marvel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've shown them that. I'm looking more towards a series; something that can keep her satisfied for a week or so. She has seen Tokyo Mew Mew and Sailor Moon, and Cardcaptors... But doesn't like subtitles, so that limits her alot.
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
My Neighbour Totoro is a movie that is child friendly.

I agree..

Almost all Miyazaki movies are child friendly -- if they weren't, Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away wouldn't have Disney versions. I also recommend those 2...

How about WMT titles? WMT (World Masterpiece Theater) are really popular in the Philippines. They're like anime versions of classical literature works. Princess Sarah is really nice, so is Remy - Nobody's Girl.

Here's the Wikipedia entry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quote
You might want to have a look at my public lists, one of which is my list of kid-safe anime. I try to keep this updated with anime that I have shown to my own children (boys aged 4, 7 and 10) with success.

If there are any on the list that you want more detail about, from a parental point of view, feel free to ask -- here, or by PM.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Here are two threads that may be helpful to you as well:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=332365#332365

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=288785#288785

The first was by a regular user here looking for anime to use in starting up an anime club at her old Elementary School.

The other (also by a regular user) was looking for something for her daughter.

I hope these help you out.
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I suggest that you should around here. Religious viewpoints aside, they have very detailed descriptions of what is in the anime. This way you can judge for yourself what would be appropriate for your sister.
child_of_marvel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Thank you guys so much. I think she'll be entertained for a while. ^^
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:05 pm Reply with quote
darksideoftheanime wrote:
I suggest that you should around here. Religious viewpoints aside, they have very detailed descriptions of what is in the anime. This way you can judge for yourself what would be appropriate for your sister.

I find some of these ages are a little old for what I would think they are, but it does have a great guildline. (just knock off like two-three years) DRAGON BALL 15+???? (sorry, but that was on YTV back in the day, censored version, but still shouldn't be 15+) Gundam Seed 16+? do they mean the Special Edition with the "scene"? I say 12+. Evangelion is 18+? probably for the Christian motif and it does have some mature themes but not 18+. 15+ is more like it. Kamikazi Kaito Jeanne was rated 17+, wtf?????? (Christian motif that isn't accurate again?) It's so 12+
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quote
If you're still looking for recommendations... I would suggest Wedding Peach and Full Moon if she is a girly girl. If she is a tomboy she might like Hikaru no Go or MAR. Or she just might like them all Smile
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
One of my all time favorite series is Figure 17. I didn't even consider this series as a kid friendly show when I first watched it and just enjoyed it for what it was. It wasn't until later when I saw the "age rating 7+" on the Media Blasters site that I thought to myself that it is kid safe. I usually don't watch shows aimed towards the 7+ demographic, but this series is really amazing.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
I liked Takahashi Rumiko's Anthology, and there is not much in there that would be offensive to children. Some funny outtakes and a look at life, a nice show I would think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 22