• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Desperately needing help with elementary school anime club

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
My mother is the sixth-to-eight grade Language Arts teacher at a private Catholic elementary school, and she is thinking of starting up an anime club. Looking at the student art posted up on the wall, there are approximately ten students this year that like anime, which is the minimum requirement of members for new clubs. These kids collectively tend to be shy, introverted, and lonely children, and she's hoping that by starting up an anime club she'll push them in the right direction to make a friend. I'm going to be her advisor on what anime to show, what video games to bring in, ect. The problem is, since this is a religious school, there are frustratingly strict limitations on what movies we are allowed to let the kids watch (and this goes for ALL movies, not just anime.) Here are some of the rules for the anime they can show that my mother and the principal have established:

No anime with a higher than a G.
I've told them that sometimes the companies will give the ratings an unnecessary boost by swearing excessively in audio commentaries and for other reasons, and she said if the show looks appropriate enough for children regardless of the PG-13 rating they'll be showing it. If it's necessary, I'll just cover the rating with my thumb and tell her it's G. Examples of acceptable shows: Galaxy Angel and Strawberry Marshmallow.

No religious imagery, period.
It doesn't matter if it's portrayed in a positive light or is just the for decoration, Christian symbols are not allowed in any anime the children watch. This includes angels. We can't even show Pita-Ten.

No homosexuality, whether it's lightly implied or otherwise.
Well, it is a religious school. If the series is long enough and it isn't integral to the plot, like Card Captor Sakura, we can skip over particular episodes that feature this element.

No violence stronger Pokemon-ish cartoon violence.
Self explanatory. Example of an acceptable show: the Cartoon Network version of Naruto.

No swearing.
Not even "damn it!" or "hell".

No characters with exceptionally large breasts (meaning C cup and beyond).
Self explanatory. (So no Eiken for these kids. Crying or Very sad )

No nudity.
The only exception would be if its a Magical Girl anime, and Barbie-doll nudity is a part of the transformation sequence.

No crude sexual humor.
Self explanatory.

Here's a list of what the teachers and the principal have decided would be acceptable to show:

.hack//Legend Of The Twilight
Animal Yokocho
Bottle Fairy
Card Captor Sakura
Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat
Cartoon Network Naturo
Galaxy Angel
Hime-sama Goyojin
Kodocha
Strawberry Marshmallow
Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy
The Adventures of Mini-Goddess
Tokyo Mew Mew (original version)
Bincho-tan
Any G rated Hayao Miyazaki movie.

And that's it. Seriously, this club is supposed to meet every day after school for two hours, and that's really all that we've got. (We don't plan to show every episode of the super-long series, and if the kids don't the anime we picked it we have to dump them.) The problem with this is that many of these series, while I'm sure the little girls would love them, don't have a lot of appeal for 10-13 year-old boys. Recommendations for kid-friendly anime that that both little boys and girls with extremely over-protective religious parents can enjoy that meet the standards would be greatly appreciated.

Other than just watching anime, what would be good club activities? We decided to take the kids on a field trip to Kawaii Kon 2007, and maybe some days we can have video gaming tournaments (recommendations for E rated multiplayer games would also be appreciated, as the only game I currently own that also meets these standards is Katamari Damacy), but is there anything else we can do to entertain the kids?

(minor edits for grammar)

Last edited by Wolverine Princess on Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
There's quite a few Japanese culture-related things you could do. My university's hosting an Onigiri Night next weekend where we make our own onigiri (FYI: riceballs) and eat them. There's also origami, kimono dressing (if you're willing to spend some cash for one or two kimonos), and flower arranging (You don't actually have to know how to do it, just have them do it however they want). Since it's fall you could probably buy some raw fish and have them make their own sushi too. Even if it's only an elementary school club, try to make it at least somewhat educational.
hikaru393

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I think 4kids version of one piece would be good and zatch bell would proberly keep the boys entertand since i dont think zatch bell has anything bad in the american version and dragon drive or beyblade is a good one for the boys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, the only other one I can think of would probably be Princess Tutu, we'll have to wait to see how they translate Beet the Vandel Buster before we can give that a yes or a no (they might not translate it to damn but probably to darn or something). But other than that there's really nothing bad about it, except maybe the reference to them peeing on each other around episode 50 or so after they get attacked by bees -_-... Zoids might be good, but you might have to look into that one as well.. Sensei no Ojikan (Doki Doki School Hours) might also be a pretty good one and Kaleidostar seems decent enough. Wow, I can actually think of a few good ones, UltraManiac should be ok. Hmm that's all I can think of right now, I would mention UFO Princess Valkyrie, but then that might be pushing it a little. The only problem with this in my eyes is the religious imagery, I can understand that it's cause it's a Catholic school, but that really throws out a lot of good titles :/
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's a pretty tall order Shocked

...but... I can try Wink Question though, you say "elementary", but then mention grades 6-8. Isn't that called "middle school"? Or did you mean the kids are between 6 and 8?

You said no religious imagery, then specified no christian imagery of any kind. I'm assuming this also counts out Kamichu!, despite its incredibly lighthearted, completely innocent view? I don't know if you've seen it, but I really don't think it would be a problem, there are absolutely no religious conclusions in the show as far as I can see. I really think it would be worth a shot, but I guess they'd probably shoot it down without even looking at it based on the description; depends on whether or not they will listen to what she has to say or if they're just close minded on the anime issue. If you can get it though, I think it'd be just about the perfect anime for that age range.

Futatsu no Spica - It's a tale about a child who grows up and applies to the space academy to be an astronaut! If they can keep their attention span on the show, I think it'd fit great. It says "older children", but I think there's only one punch thrown in the show, and I don't know what it means by "bad language", that sounds like poppycock to me.

Mushishi - There's a great number of action sequences, and an episode or two with a death scene, but there are also a number of completely innocent episodes with absolutely no questionable issues. I don't remember seeing or hearing any language either, though... I can't be certain, you'd probably have to check. This is the one I'd personally push.

Hellsing - Umm... yeah... I'm thinking no.

Hikaru no Go - The shounen your lineup could probably use...... just don't tell them it's a show about a board game, have them watch the first two or three episodes and see for themselves Wink

Little Nemo - Adventures in Slumberland - Very Happy God I loved this movie as a kid; owned the NES game and everything.

Nanoha - Or so I would say if it was all girls, but I don't think those kids and their cooties would let them sit in the same room as this show... then again... I watched Sailor Moon obsessively when I was 5. It was the only show I watched every day. It might be worth at least asking the group (but you'd have to be careful that you only described the content of the show, that it was a girl who gains magical powers and has to collect the shikon shards or w/e it is in the show, and not the fact that it's a really girly anime Rolling Eyes)

Stellvia - Another one I don't remember any bad language in, and there really isn't much of any violence here either. I ordered these DVDs from the Geneon sale and intend to rewatch it when I get it, so if you want I can look for bad language and let you know if there really is any.

Kino's Journey - Not all of it, I'm well aware the second episode for example does not fit in with the seeming expectations. However, I'd think at least half of the show is really really good without such aspects; just look at the first episode.

I don't know. I really think at least a couple of those would be great additions, though undoubtedly I'm not remembering some of the more "questionable" aspects of some of the shows (in the mind of the school), since I personally view them as incredibly benign, but I think a second opinion on these is in order.

I also second Azathrael's idea of the culture aspects. Perhaps you could watch an episode of some show, and then do an activity ideally related to both the show and Japanese culture, the kids eat that stuff up like puddin'.

EDIT: I'm sure your mom knows this, being a teacher and all... but I've had a number over the years who didn't know this, so I'll say it. For god's sake (pun only mildly intended), do some sort of anonymous voting system for deciding shows, if the kids get any input at all. Don't let the kids groupthink by doing the infamous: "Raise your hands if you want to keep watching this" while all the kids stare at the 15 girls who raise their hands and the three boys who sheepishly want to bu don't raise their hands for subconscious fear of being grouped with the girls (and vice versa).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Animal Yokocho
Hime-sama Goyojin
Bincho-tan

I'm more interested in the three unlicensed titles above. Are teachers going to show them fansubs? I'd be more surprised not because of the legality issue but the decision to show them sub-only titles.

Here in Taiwan many middle schoolers watch subbed anime with Japanese audio regularly. However, this number is decreasing, not because of increased dub popularity but because of decreased reading speed. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
Kaleidostar seems decent enough.

I love Kaleido Star, but doesn't Fool make an awful lot of shower references? I remember a few of those jokes were glazed over in the dub, but still... I thought I'd mention it just to be absolutely safe.

As wonderful as Kino's Journey is, I think it's a little dark and violent for what Wolverine Princess is requesting. I know the kids could handle it, but the teachers, if they saw it, would probably take issue with it.

I second the Kamichu! nomination, if the school doesn't mind depiction of non-Christian religion.

Also, is sub/dub an issue here? I'd assumed dub was preferrable, but maybe I'm wrong. Just to play it safe, I'll suggest titles that have two languages available.

Angelic Layer is a Pokemon-esque show with fighting dolls. I've only seen the first 5 episodes, but they were all squeaky clean, and I can't imagine the show taking a turn for ultra-viloent gut-wrenching fighting.

Case Closed (Detective Conan) is a really fun kid's show that follows the Sherlock Holmes routine-there's a mystery for Conan to solve, and he solves it by the end of the episode. You know, while I'm at it, you should also check out Sherlock Hound, a charming early Miyazaki TV series. Again, I've only seen a few episodes (the ones Miyazaki storyboarded), but it's really fun and very safe.

Animation Runner Kuromi is a great little OVA about animation production. It's an Akitaro Daichi title so it has his flair for crazy humor (a la Kodocha).

Does Fruits Basket have any sex humor? It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember it being all-ages friendly. But I'm not sure so don't take my word for it.

If the haibane didn't so closely resemble angels, I'd love to suggest Haibane Renmei. Anime cry Oh well.

Junkers Come Here is hands-down one of the best family films to ever come out of Japan. Perfect for any age. Don't let the "talking dog" bit fool you; it's really heartfelt and not cheesy at all. I watched this years ago at a college anime club and everyone absolutely loved it.

Nadia - Secret of Blue Water is a classic Gainax title loosely based on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. This one might be kind of iffy, though, because the story gets a little depressing and violent halfway through, and there's some mild fanservice. It has an "Older Children" rating in the Encyclopedia.

NieA_7 is a fun show about an alien living with a dirt-poor student. I haven't watched it in a while, but I don't remember anything objectionable.

Princess Nine is a great sports anime about a girls' baseball team. May appeal more to girls than boys, but I think it's enjoyable for both genders. My little brothers like it.

Rumiko Takahashi Theater is a collection of short stories about funny or mysterious things happening to normal people. Very charming and funny.

Those are the ones I'd recommend. If fansubbed anime is an option, I can suggest more.

*Edit: Fixed links*

Last edited by Cloe on Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hikaru393

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
detective conan is a good show but not for an elementry anime club with people getting stabed,shot and pretty much a murder mystery in evrey eps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Doh, I totally wasn't even considering the fact that if they're in elementary school, they probably couldn't even read most of the words (much less fast enough), from a few of those series. I was only looking at the content of the shows they might be able to watch. I had assumed subs would be ok... but after thinking about it, they're probably not if the kids are indeed ages 6-8 like I'm kind of assuming. Although the content would be interesting, basic vocab limitations are things I forget about when it comes to stuff like this. I guess that means Mushishi is a naive choice, for my part; because even if they did get the vocab, they probably wouldn't get Ginko's logic and psychology or much of any of the philosophy and insights behind it.

Cloe wrote:
As wonderful as Kino's Journey is, I think it's a little dark and violent for what Wolverine Princess is requesting. I know the kids could handle it, but the teachers, if they saw it, would probably take issue with it.

Angelic Layer is a Pokemon-esque show with fighting dolls. I've only seen the first 5 episodes, but they were all squeaky clean, and I can't imagine the show taking a turn for ultra-viloent gut-wrenching fighting.

Princess Nine is a great sports anime about a girls' baseball team. May appeal more to girls than boys, but I think it's enjoyable for both genders. My little brothers like it.

I totally agree... on a good deal of it. That first episode for example though, is completely innocuous. I can't think of any other specifically appropriate episodes, but I'm sure there's at least a few of them. Besides, even if it's only a few episodes out of the show, the show itself is such pure awesomeness I can't help but recommend it every chance I get if it might be/is appropriate.

I second Angelic Layer, I glazed right over that one when I was scanning my list. It's a show about fighting, but there is absolutely no blood, and it's about as child appropriate of an action show as they get.

Hahaha, when I read the third title, I saw 'Princess Sixty Nine' and thought: "Shocked Shocked Shocked Buh?!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Webki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
What about a comedy like Azumanga Daioh? Even though it is a school anime that follows girls, there is definitely a comedic element to it that would appeal to the older boys of the elementary school.

The only thing is Sakaki's boobs might be too big. Rolling Eyes

And how about Negima? I haven't seen too much of the anime, but if it follows the manga even remotely it should have a decent plot behind it (though I know some people don't like it). Actually, on second thought, I forgot about Negi's sneeze.

Hmm, the situation is very difficult, indeed. These catholic schools and their rules (I went to a catholic elementary school).
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
You just don't know how much I wanted to suggest Negima, and no, it doesn't really follow the manga too well, it leaves out a LOT of important parts, that and the sneeze isn't quite as bad. I still like the "osara" and "osaru" joke :O
emilydastrange

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote
In regards to Angelic Layer, aren't the dolls (I haven't seen it) called angels (hence angelic layer). Would that constitute as religious imagery? I know it's not like the angels in Haibane Renmei or the pointless crosses in NGE, but they may have a problem with it.
bluepita

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure about Azumanga Daioh either. Between the talk in the first episode about breasts, the girl/girl crush, and the pervert teacher, I doubt it would fit the criteria laid down. Otherwise, it would be great. Smile Sorry to be negative.
Webki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but I was just thinking that since those things are never comfirmed, persay, it would be fine. But perhaps you were right.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
There's quite a few Japanese culture-related things you could do. My university's hosting an Onigiri Night next weekend where we make our own onigiri (FYI: riceballs) and eat them. There's also origami, kimono dressing (if you're willing to spend some cash for one or two kimonos), and flower arranging (You don't actually have to know how to do it, just have them do it however they want). Since it's fall you could probably buy some raw fish and have them make their own sushi too. Even if it's only an elementary school club, try to make it at least somewhat educational.

I've seen that you live in Hawaii, how about bringing in someone who can do a proper Tea Ceremony? I've seen it done on TV and it looks fascinating.

Everyone has suggested the anime that I would suggest but would Sailor Moon work as well. Obviously not Season three with Saturn and Neptune but maybe the 1st two seasons?

You know, it's threads like this that really make you think about what's on your DVD shelves.

Oh, hey...Would DNAngel be appropriate? ADV lists it as 13+.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6