• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Banana Fish

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Twage wrote:
Maybe he should rename this column: "Amazing Manga That You Didn't Buy: Seriously Why Didn't You Buy These Books Idiots Do You Realize How Different The Market Would Be If You Had."

Wordy, yes, but man would the US manga landscape be different if things like this and Basara had sold well. I'm sure we'd have Naruto either way, but we might've had 7Seeds and stuff!

Oh God, don't make me cry in self-loathing. Crying or Very sad 7Seeds!

I bought Basara, but I bought it too late to make an impact. I paid scalper's prices for several volumes because I refuuuuuused to NOT own the entire series. At least I bought Please Save My Earth as it came out.

Banana Fish is probably another pipe dream for me. It's actually volume 17 (I think) that's the worst right now. I recently took a look at the prices on Amazon. Not fun.

It's not like I don't have a Pile of Shame list of manga series that need to be bought anyways. There's always something to fill in the blank. The list is loooooong, and I probably don't have enough dough to get 'em all anyways.

Maybe, some day.

classicalzawa wrote:
I'd love to send her a list of "get these, not those" manga (and anime, and a note to not get a 360 ever), see how my collection would change in the present time. Still, Borders didn't carry Banana Fish or Basara or Firefighter Daigo, and the internet was still so-so on information hunting (and my connection was slow), I didn't have any good ways of finding out about these series.

Haha, yeah. Most of the manga I bought was based off of anime adaptations. I started off with Fushigi Yugi, Magic Knight Rayearth, and Sailor Moon, because those were the anime VHS I was buying or anime I was watching on tv. I luckily got into PSME the same way when the OVA was released on DVD. I immediately started collecting the manga volumes as they came out. 3x3 Eyes is another series that fits that category, though I had to finish collecting that one in Japanese once Dark Horse finally dropped it.

I went through a lot of trials and errors just trying out manga that looked interesting. Most turned out to be flops - Girl Got Game (got annoying after a few volumes), Gorgeous Carat (one volume, meh), Kindaichi (repetitive, no reread value once you know the mystery, Miyuki never being able to contribute). But every once in a while I'd hit gold. Chrono Crusade was bought on a whim and it remains my favorite manga series to this day. Once I got my own personal laptop in the mid-2000's, it was much easier to figure out what catered to my interests by using the internet. Now my Want List is neverending, filled with both new and old treasures. Whether or not I'll actually ever own them is another story. =P
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricMontreal22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Apologies for kicking up this old thread, but I just re-read Banana Fish, which led me to this review, and this forum...

This was my third full re-read in the past ten years or so since the final English volume came out and that ending remains gut wrenching. Definitely my fave manga ever (to be translated in English) even if Moto Hagio remains my top manga-ka. (To be fair I haven't tracked down any other Akimi Yoshida titles yet--I can't do scanlations--except I am currently reading, and loving, her recent Kamakura Diary in French, a slight spin off of her earlier Lovers' Kiss which I would read if I could read Japanese). Just amazing stuff.

I doubt Jason Thompson reads this, but I did wonder about his comments about the editors for the BF translation. I have the seven flipped Pulp editions and then picked up the series when Viz started again in the unflipped versions at volume six (I planned to buy the first five eventually too but never got around to it--and now I wish I had just to have them unflipped but some of those early vols go for a lot in good condition online...)

Anyway--can anyone tell me if the translation was changed for the new editions (the first seven vols?) I know my original vol 7 still says edited by Carl Gustav Horn, but vol 7 unflipped says Ian Robertson (2nd edition). The other vols don't correspond with Thompson's info--the first two vols were edited by Annette Roman, not Horn who then took over till vol 7 or so (Thompson says Horn did vol one and then left...) The softened (no swears) language in vols 2 and 3 he mentions don't seem to be in the early editions... COuld Viz have initially softened that language because they were now under the Shoujo imprint, not the adult Pulp imprint? Matt Thorn was the translator of the first three or so volumes in the original editions (I remember being disappointed when he announced he had to leave Viz--he remains my fave shoujo translator) and I always paid more attention to the translator names, but of course the editor makes the decisions about language...

Yes, I know this is dull stuff that I shouldn't care about, but... Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2