• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Descends from Summit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
just not from from Japan...hahaha
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/8871.html

Very interesting article. It just is just another nail that they are less likely to purchase more anime. That card game actually sounds kinda cool, I like how no two cards are alike. And they just flat out bought it too.

So from the discussion this is really good news for anime fans. As we have plugged through this here on the forum, I think we have a better picture of 4Kids buisness plan. And that plan seems to be heavily leaning against anymore new anime. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I feel 4Kids is kinda responsible for making the term "anime" a household name (despite what you or I say/think about Sailor Moon). Seeing them crumble like this, and Pokemon being thrown around to see it survive, it kinda saddening.

Yes, it's butchered anime. But it's all butchered anime on American shores. I'll take my buthered liscened products to illegal bootlegs off BitTorrent anyday.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
4Kids bought Chaotic well over a year ago. I think they're even co-funding it.
ShootYouStars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
silver_omicron wrote:
Personally, I feel 4Kids is kinda responsible for making the term "anime" a household name (despite what you or I say/think about Sailor Moon).

Wasn't Sailor Moon dubbed by DIC and/or Cloverway, not 4kids? Question

I must admit, I was really obessed with Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors,Hamtaro, Pokemon and the like as a kid. (Though it happened to be my cousin lending me Inuyasha/Wedding Peach/Saint Tail manga, seeing her draw anime, getting "anime lessons" from another cousin (That was more of anime fan lessons, she taught me to roleplay, make fanfics, and make fancharacters xD) and other various things that made me learn WTF "anime" was. I just knew the shows had pretty art, I didn't know there was a name for it.)

But. I'm totally anti-4kids now. What REALLY pisses me off about them was the Tokyo Mew Mew dub, "Mew Mew Power". Where they lovingly (*coughcough*) made the 12th episode the first and totally twisting the plot in that episode, then dropped it mid-series. I wouldn't mind them badly dubbing it... if they actually bothered to FINISH the series (I don't mean not doing the sequel like w/ Sailor Moon Super S. I mean suddenly, in the middle of the series. ._.) or at least put it on DVD so I could watch it.... (I can NOT get up at 7am on a weekend, even for anime, even if I want too, I just can't. My body will protest and won't let me even though I get up for school at 6am on weekdays. >o<) And not only do they dystroy anime, they're also stupid. In an interview (forgot link, gomen), they said something along the lines of

"I know there are alot of purists out there that want anime shown on TV with subtitles, but you must understand this attracts a larger crowd. 4kids has brought you more anime than anyone else."

Hell-o? Did they excape from a insane asylum? I can list at least 2 companys that have dubbed/realesed more anime than 4kids.

I'm glad it seems they're heading in the direction of not dubbing any more anime. (Truthfully, It makes me feel safer about Mermaid Melody being unliscenced and the kind of series 4kids would love: magical girl, mermaid, singing(two things little girls love), popular, has lots of merchandise....)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote
ShootYouStars wrote:
In an interview (forgot link, gomen), they said something along the lines of

"I know there are alot of purists out there that want anime shown on TV with subtitles, but you must understand this attracts a larger crowd. 4kids has brought you more anime than anyone else."

I did that interview, and he never said that. What he did say was more along the lines of "We reach to a larger audience, and while there are purists/older Anime fans, we don't nessecerally cater to them". Of course, this was when 4Kids tried to produce uncut Anime DVDs, and later that was shit-canned for whatever reason.

You're probably refering to Stars, rather than Super S, because form what I can remember Super S came out in English.

uncutpokemon: hush.

PS Here
Gage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
YuGiOh is coming to 4Kids TV this fall. And here we thought we would hear the last of YuGiOh. I'd like to see more of Pokemon on television, yes I know Pokemon Chronicles are now on Cartoon Network but if it were to come to 4Kids, I'm sure if would get more hits.

If I remember correctly, YuGiOh failed in comparison to Pokemon. I mean, we all know that YuGiOh copied Pokemon in some way which I can point out now:

Ash, Misty, Brooke, Team Rocket, and others summoned their Pokemon to do battle with an enemy. And when you look at YuGiOh the same thing occurs but with one difference. Technology plays a role and monsters are displayed as holograms except for "The Egyptian God Cards" which are real. What the? I prefer Pokemon over YuGiOh because at least people look normal and weren't born 2000 and some years ago or whatever. It's nice to have that in story but it's kind of boring... Only once I got interested in YuGiOh and that was when Yugi learned about Yami's past with Seto Kaiba. Dunno what you think but I hope Pokemon wins over YuGiOh! The anime in Pokemon is getting good. I thas developed a long way. If Cartoon Network's Toonami and Adult Swim die on television, there is no good hope for anime on television and the movie stores will make a killing! But, I hope that does not happen and I doubt it will. Just a random thought. Agreed?
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
an uh Wolverine Princess, no i sure hope this dosen't happen because then 4kids will get lots of money, which is of course is bad cause then they will once more buy anime in bundles of 10 and screw them all up so everyone WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T BUY THOSE CARDS WHEN THEY COME OUT and do what you can to make sure no one else starts liknig them cause trust me THE LAST THING YOU WANT IS FOR THEM TO HAVE MORE MONEY cause if we do then their will be a whople bunch of chaos (pun intended) so the best thing now is to make them go bankrupt! which we alredy know thanks to the unfortinute success of pkmn and ygo that it may take some time and if they get money from this it will only take longer! so tell your little brothers and sisters or heck any little kids you know that admire and look up to you not to buy those cards, that game is made by the devel (Al Kahn, the devel, same thing) and in the meantime i'm sure we will all probily be getting forced to pay those monthly tributes to <s>arlong</s> Uncle Al so remember DON'T BUY THOSE CARDS

I'm not saying I want it to be a success. I was trying to act all cool and neutral, but I hate 4Kids just as much as everyone else. I'm just saying this game could have potential to be "the next big thing".
potassium

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:20 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
potassium wrote:
..... and Elfen Lied promotes lying.
I think "Lied" is pronounced "leed", not lied as in "she lied in court". Wink

that's obviously the joke. Rolling Eyes

that's the second time now in this very thread you've taken seriously something i said that wasn't meant to be.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:28 am Reply with quote
*leads the Hallelujah chorus*
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
4Kids said they were going to focus on their original properties instead of their licensed titles.

Yeah, original properties, current and future...created for the purpose of tricking everyone into thinking that they are anime from Japan (although shows like TMNT are obviously American, but I'm not giving them the satisfaction)...

Riryousha wrote:
One Piece isn't a "kids show". It's a show for "teenagers".

(Quoted for emphasis)

Welllllllllllll, technically, One Piece IS a kids show. See, Japanese TV (i.e., not just anime) production and broadcast S&P are more lenient than in the U.S. (OVA and movie standards over there are even more lenient, but I digress). 4Kids simply went too far, like they always do...

v1cious wrote:
i'm guessing they dropped Summit as part of their supposed move to more mature programming.

"Ho ho, very funny; ha ha, it is to laugh" ("Tho thayth" Daffy Duck)...

Anyhow, if you are referring to that so-called "4Sight" thing, know now that that could just be a renaming of the original licensing agency that was founded back in 1970's ("4Kids Entertainment" is really just "Leisure Concepts Inc." [LCI], a licensing agency that doesn't know its place, but enough about that).

uncutpokemon wrote:
AND WHEN WILL KAHN-BAKA APOLOGISE FOR SAYING THAT...KIDS DON'T READ

Probably never...

Then again, no one is ever beyond redemption. Nope, not even him...

Also in regards to your mention about "their" "Chaotic" property, I could agree with that. Buy simply buying a starter deck or a booster pack, we are actually supporting this company, and who knows? Like I said they just change their minds and start licensing anime again. There is even the chance (albeit unlikely, but I wouldn't put anything past them), that they are just flat-out tricking us into buying such products, so they can license more anime, and further insult everyone's intelligence, etc, etc, etc. So you could be on the right track there. Also, 4Kids "purchased" the property. This is even worse than licensing. In any event:

This isn't just about anime anymore. To put it in perspective, even if "every" company is "in it for the money", the problem is that 4Kids is ONLY in it for the money. They are willing to do whatever it takes to turn a profit, even going so far as to refuse Ryan Drummond's request to provide the voice of a certain blue hedgehog (He was even willing to relocate to New York just for them!). I personally think they are even capable of flat-out deceiving the public-at-large (including the "kids" if you will).

Look at it this way. I certainly would be correct about all of this if (repeat: IF; I can't emphasize that enough) this company turned out to be another Enron...
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:08 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
ShootYouStars wrote:
In an interview (forgot link, gomen), they said something along the lines of

I did that interview, and he never said that. What he did say was more along the lines of "We reach to a larger audience, and while there are purists/older Anime fans, we don't nessecerally cater to them". Of course, this was when 4Kids tried to produce uncut Anime DVDs, and later that was shit-canned for whatever reason.

You're probably refering to Stars, rather than Super S, because form what I can remember Super S came out in English.

uncutpokemon: hush.

PS Here

Actually it wasn't Khan who said that it was Mr. Haigney (Sonic X script writer).

http://www.animeboredom.co.uk/anime-articles/80/

Quote:
Mr. Haigney : I know some hardcore anime fans hate the fact that 4Kids doesn't simply air the original Japanese series with "literal" subtitles. I understand their feelings. I'd just ask them to remember that 4Kids has probably brought more anime to more viewers than any company in the world. It may not always be in the way some fans would like, but I think 4Kids has contributed greatly to the interest and availability of anime worldwide. Maybe that counts for something in their eyes.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote
Now I've been going to Wikipedia and I read that the shows that will be showing 4kidstv are Viva Pinata, Pretty Cure, Chaotic, and Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monsters. You wanna know the funniest thing about Precure? I was reading a trivia and what did I see? This.

Trivia about Precure wrote:
Even though a childrens' program, latter episodes revealed hints of a lesbian relationship between Nagisa and Honoka.

Laughing I wonder what 4kids will do about that.

Now I've seen complaints about 4kids edits on Yu-Gi-Oh!. Well eventhough I hate 4kids (and still do), I think Yu-Gi-Oh! deserves to be licensed by 4kids. If you don't like what you're seeing or viewing, You decide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think Yu-Gi-Oh! deserves to be licensed by 4kids.

Why? Because you don't like it?
Anime Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:00 pm Reply with quote
For me I could care less what 4Kids does.Except for watching edited Yu-Gi-Oh for the most part I just ingnore them.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Quote:
I think Yu-Gi-Oh! deserves to be licensed by 4kids.

Why? Because you don't like it?

No. It's because of the overalls. I like Yu-Gi-Oh!. It's just that I believe 4kids deserves to license it (eventhough I hate those guys for ruining One Piece). But still, I like Yu-Gi-Oh!.

Last edited by Riyousha on Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7