• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Opinion on OEL Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, which I may be, but don't the Japanese refer to all comics as "manga?"

Correct. I wouldn't use it as a justification for calling OEL "manga" since we aren't in Japan. In technical terms any piece of sequential art could be called manga, just like so many people called refered to manga as "Japanese comics," a term which isn't nessisarily wrong. It's just easier to call works the appropriate term based on what country they came out of.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, which I may be, but don't the Japanese refer to all comics as "manga?"

That's because manga is Japanese for comics. So by that logic, we should be calling them all comics, but instead manga has become borrowed into the English language to refer to Japanese comics.
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't like the label manga but we have it anyways. I call all comics comics. It makes life so much simpler and helps me give recomendations to people without confusing them with odd labels.

On the topic of OEL ( Mad ) I haven't found one that makes me want to read more than the first chapter. Most OEL is a carbon copy of the stereotypes in japanese comics, not all of them good. Having said that, I borrowed a copy of the Sandman Spin-off series starring Death by Jill Thompson that was decent (Note- If yer hoping for a Sandman quality story don't read it). I hope one day all the artists who are making a name for themselves today using the OEL label choose to expand and become compitent artists in the future.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

That's because manga is Japanese for comics. So by that logic, we should be calling them all comics, but instead manga has become borrowed into the English language to refer to Japanese comics.

That's what I thought. It's all sequential art, in my opinion. Comics, manga, whatever, I don't really see the problem with the term "OEL manga." It's really just a matter of personal preference. So, call it whatever you like.

Quote:
Most OEL is a carbon copy of the stereotypes in japanese comics, not all of them good.

Dude, most manga is a carbon copy of the stereotypes in Japanese comics. Most everything is unoriginal.

And I really didn't care much for the Death manga. I'm a huge Sandman fan, especially of Death, but I just didn't find it living up to Gaiman's work.
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most OEL is a carbon copy of the stereotypes in japanese comics, not all of them good.

Dude, most manga is a carbon copy of the stereotypes in Japanese comics. Most everything is unoriginal.

And I really didn't care much for the Death manga. I'm a huge Sandman fan, especially of Death, but I just didn't find it living up to Gaiman's work.[/quote]
Yeah, ya got me there. Very Happy

I realized that very little could live up to Gaiman's work so I tried to approach Death with an open mind, and not as part of the Sandman universe.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Alchemist449 wrote:

Yeah, ya got me there. Very Happy

I realized that very little could live up to Gaiman's work so I tried to approach Death with an open mind, and not as part of the Sandman universe.

Well, I really didn't *hate* it. Maybe I just got a little ahead of myself. In a totally stand-alone way, it wasn't terrible.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Death was a fun little graphic novel on its own, I just can't understand why Thompson made it basically an alternate, goofy telling of one of the best Sandman stories. I know I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't have the "Season of Mists" in my mind the whole time. It's still much better than most OEL titles.
YukiKawaii05

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't like it at all, but only because it's really ugly...... It has an american look to it, and I despise American animation and comics.....
Betenoire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Other than going along with what others have said about the "manga" thing being a bit misused given the circumstances I don't have any problem with it in general. People are inspired by work they love and try to draw things that may pay homage or may ape their favorites- Japan has a giant subculture of their own which is how no small number of mangaka now working at some of the bigger companies practiced/refined their techniques.

If an artist chooses to use a particular style that speaks to them they should feel free, even if I may feel the art doesn't appeal to me for whatever reason of note- I've dropped/refused to pick books from authors not using that style but a different one that I didn't care for as well.

Though I guess if that if it is OK to label work inspired but made in a different country as manga just because it has a good deal of similarities than it should be equally OK to refer to Sponge Bob and any number of Cartoon Network cartoons as "anime." Twisted Evil
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't like it at all, but only because it's really ugly...... It has an american look to it, and I despise American animation and comics.....

This thread is 6 years old and is pretty much past its expiration date. Plus, resurrecting a thread just to say "I hate all of x because I also hate all of y" really doesn't contribute anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2