• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Speed Grapher DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:17 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

spoiler[The ending, though, is just ridiculous. Suitengu suceeds in carrying out his plan to completly destroy the Japanese economy. Flash foward to a year later, and EVERYTHING'S EXACTLY THE SAME. Okay, now people prefer to use Euros in their daily transactions, but overall society seems identical to how it was. No social collapse, no big war, no depression, no nothing. I really don't think there'd be so little impact if all the money in Japan caught fire and burned up (which is basically what happened.) This seems like a good example of the "trying to be adult but coming off as immature" problem mentioned in the review.]

Here's my question:

Why do you think it's necessary to come in and offer your opinion of the final episodes? Do you think you're offering some kind of service? Can you just not wait until we actually review the final episodes, or is it really necessary to come in and tell us we're all totally wrong because we haven't seen the entire series yet?

Is it a waste of time to even publish reviews of the first R1 DVDs when we have an army of people apparently waiting to come into the thread for the first DVD and boast about how "I've already seen the whole thing WinkWinkWink here's my take on the whole series also I watched it all fansubbed so my opinion is more valid than the one in the review" etcetera?

Christ we get it, you saw the whole series already and you just can't WAIT to give us your opinion on it and tell the critic that he or she is "WRONG because if you watch through episode 20 (which I have seen by the way WinkWinkWink ) it totally gets better!".

Enough. We're talking about the first four episodes. I don't really care if you've already downloaded it all or whatever.
Elchfaenger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:19 am Reply with quote
There are a few things in this review, I agree with, like the art not being top notch or the case scenes being poor. I also heard that the OP on the DVD is different from the TV version, which might be bad.
But there are many things I disagree with. Strongly! First of all I don't think that this anime wants to be taken seriously so bad. There were many characters which don't indend to be serious (Bob already mentioned, Ginza as well)
Second, you should not expect realism in any way. This is fiction! Some ideas may look crazy at the moment (like the leather covered nose) but turn out to make sense later on. I think these "crazy" ideas are what makes Speed Grapher worth watching. This is no crime thriller, not about some tough guy fighting a corrupt system, as it may seem in the beginning, this is more sci-fi/horror like, with strange monsters and stuff.
Finally, you can't argue about taste, but just branding this as "silly" is unfair.
And don't get me wrong, this is no "it-gets-better-later"-argumentation, if you don't like it, drop it. But you really should give it a try!

Zac wrote:

Is it a waste of time to even publish reviews of the first R1 DVDs when we have an army of people apparently waiting to come into the thread for the first DVD and boast about how "I've already seen the whole thing WinkWinkWink here's my take on the whole series also I watched it all fansubbed so my opinion is more valid than the one in the review" etcetera?

Oh and about this: Would you, if you get interested in Speed Grapher, read the review of the second DVD first? No, you wouldn't! Its the first review that counts. And this, being one sided to me, could keep many from watching this series, which is a shame.
So forgive the fans of this series for defending it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:09 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
spoiler[The ending, though, is just ridiculous. Suitengu suceeds in carrying out his plan to completly destroy the Japanese economy. Flash foward to a year later, and EVERYTHING'S EXACTLY THE SAME. Okay, now people prefer to use Euros in their daily transactions, but overall society seems identical to how it was. No social collapse, no big war, no depression, no nothing. I really don't think there'd be so little impact if all the money in Japan caught fire and burned up (which is basically what happened.) This seems like a good example of the "trying to be adult but coming off as immature" problem mentioned in the review.]
Here's my question:

Why do you think it's necessary to come in and offer your opinion of the final episodes? Do you think you're offering some kind of service? [cut] Is it a waste of time to even publish reviews of the first R1 DVDs when we have an army of people apparently waiting to come into the thread for the first DVD and boast about how "I've already seen the whole thing WinkWinkWink here's my take on the whole series also I watched it all fansubbed so my opinion is more valid than the one in the review" etcetera?
Actually, it is a bit of a service, since in reading that spoiler, I have even less of an inclincation to burn time watching this series Cool But I agree, this does seem to happen on every 1st volume review thread... people come in and dispute the review of the first 3-5 episodes on the grounds that "the other episodes that 'aren't available' Wink are so much better, so this review is biased." Like the staff has said, they're discussions of the review content and however many episodes, not battlegrounds of opinion between fansub watchers and DVD watchers. That's my impression, anyway.
And reviewing these first discs isn't a waste of time--the This Ugly Yet Beautiful World review got me curious enough to watch some of the episodes I had and then buy the DVD because of the technical merits mentioned in the review.
Quote:
Oh and about this: Would you, if you get interested in Speed Grapher, read the review of the second DVD first? No, you wouldn't! It's the first review that counts. And this, being one sided to me, could keep many from watching this series, which is a shame.
When I read reviews of a series I'm interested in, I read them for as many discs as possible while avoiding spoilers. So if something is bad on the first disc and gets better in later volumes, I might see that in the reviews and reconsider my decision to buy the series.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:59 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Here's my question:

Why do you think it's necessary to come in and offer your opinion of the final episodes? Do you think you're offering some kind of service? Can you just not wait until we actually review the final episodes, or is it really necessary to come in and tell us we're all totally wrong because we haven't seen the entire series yet?

My question:

Why did you single out Wyvern from all the people who came in and offered their opinion on the second half of the series? How was his (her?) post different from other people going "The second half rocked pretty hardcore" or "The latter portion of the series is much better, actually" etc? Or did they just use their psychic powers to guess the second half, and haven't actually seen it fansubbed?

Oh, stupid question. Shouldn't miss a chance for a fansub flamewar, right? Silly me. Wink Wink Wink
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:

My question:

Why did you single out Wyvern from all the people who came in and offered their opinion on the second half of the series? How was his (her?) post different from other people going "The second half rocked pretty hardcore" or "The latter portion of the series is much better, actually" etc? Or did they just use their psychic powers to guess the second half, and haven't actually seen it fansubbed?

Wyvern isn't really the issue here, but that post was simply my breaking point. Every single time we post a volume one review, even if someone agrees with it, they have to come into the thread and talk about how they "saw the whole thing already WinkWink and this review is right/wrong". It's obnoxious. I'm convinced they're simply bragging.

If they want to defend the show, then defend those first four episodes. Argue what the review is arguing. These annoying attempts to invalidate the entire review with "I watched the fansubs, it gets better around episode 22, this review is wrong!" are specious in their reasoning anyway; that the show suddenly becomes watchable 8 hours later doesn't mean these first 4 episodes are good.

Episode 23 could be a masterpiece, but does that make episodes 1-4 good? No, it doesn't. When we do finally review the later episodes, perhaps the critic's opinion will change. Screaming at the top of your lungs that the show gets better and the CRITIC IS WRONG ARRRGGGHHH isn't doing anyone any good at all.

I don't care one whit about the fansubs, this isn't an anti-fansub rant. I'm just sick of the "I saw the fansubs and the show gets better!!!!" responses. They're not even discussing what the review is talking about. So enough.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Wyvern post details the entire series and the ending, and the spoiler don't mention that these spoiler go through the entire series. Someone who is scanning this thread might accidentally roll over that and have series ruined.

That said this thread is a little out of hand, it wrong for people to complain to Zac about how he is wrong about the series just because he felt the first volume was medicore. I haven't recieved my first volume yet, and it has been a while since I watch the first four episodes. But I am a betting man that says that Zac review is pretty much spot on.

mufurc wrote:
Oh, stupid question. Shouldn't miss a chance for a fansub flamewar, right? Silly me. Wink Wink Wink
I remember why I hate being an anime fan, it the same reason why my first convention experience could be last.

EDIT:
Zac wrote:
Episode 23 could be a masterpiece, but does that make episodes 1-4 good? No, it doesn't. When we do finally review the later episodes, perhaps the critic's opinion will change.

I agree that is a good point, I feel the same way about Blood+ the beginning of that series was just ok for me but now in these later episodes there are some really interesting things are happening. And of course Zac gets the right to change his opinion, many of us have judge something early on and then realized how great that show/movie/book/game was in the long run.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Edit: Zac just posted something so I thought I might respond to somethings he (I think he is a he, I am sorry if your not.) mentioned.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Here's my question:

If they want to defend the show, then defend those first four episodes. Argue what the review is arguing. These annoying attempts to invalidate the entire review with "I watched the fansubs, it gets better around episode 22, this review is wrong!" are specious in their reasoning anyway; that the show suddenly becomes watchable 8 hours later doesn't mean these first 4 episodes are good.

??? I thought Wyvern's statements supported the review, if anything. Hence the "This seems like a good example of the 'trying to be adult but coming off as immature' problem mentioned in the review" line. Seriously, why choose that comment out of all the other ones (the comments that are actually derogatory towards the review) to get irked at? I mean, yeah, it's a comment about part of the series that is irrelevant to this review, but at least he agrees with you. I'm not trying to be argumentive; I'm just confused.

Last edited by Cloe on Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that it is still discussing the end, which the reveiw is not about.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
However, it's still not about fansubs. No-one said "hey, I watched the !!!FANSUBS!!!, so I know what's gonna happen, neener-neener!"

If there's a discussion about the first episodes of a series, anime or not, and someone says they're not good, it will inevitably end in people saying "it gets better later on." I agree that it's annoying, but it's pretty much inevitable. If Zac reviewed a series that's fully available in the US, people would've reacted the same way. IMO in this case it's rather pointless blaming fansubs and people who watch them.

Ah well, if Zac says it wasn't an anti-fansub rant, I believe him - it just seemed to me as one (knowing how trigger-happy some people on this forum are when it comes to fansubs).
Elchfaenger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote
Ok, to make this clear: I hate this "it-gets-better-later" stuff. It sounds like a lame excuse for having watched a series that wasn't worth it.
BUT: What really bothered me about this review: The author pretty much said "There are features which I don't understand after 4 Eps, so the whole thing ist silly".
How stupid is that? Where is the tension if everything is crystal-clear at the end of every single Ep?

That was the point I was trying to make. Oh and of course root for Speed Grapher, but based on the first Eps. I loved them! Cool
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:59 am Reply with quote
Mmm...the review of the first four episodes is pretty accurate, but I'd preferred to see a little more optimism, or at least objectivism; the author seems to have thrown in the towel on the entire series based on the first DVD, which can be a mistake. I wonder if the "It’s impossible to recommend purchasing this show" line will be withdrawn at a future date from this review if later DVDs get a better review.

Yah, I watched the whole thing fansubbed... it's a strange beast, I still don't understand where they got the title "Speed Grapher" from, except maybe it sounds cool and kind of techie. However, this is one of those shows that succeeds brilliantly in one area it's trying really hard to shine: being inane, melodramatic, freakish and uniquely bizarre such as to leave a bad taste in one's mouth. I give Speed Grapher credit for this, if not much else. It was worth watching this series just to continually be surprised by what it (attempts) to pull off.
Killer 7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:12 am Reply with quote
After watching the first 15 eps, i actually enjoy the series and compelled to watch the rest. (regardless of Zac's negative review.) SG has a somewhat original premise and it's not just about some guy blasting people with his camera it explores the corruption and scandals within a hedonistic secret society(think;eyes wide shut.) and a photgrapher's crusade to set their most prized possesion ..free.

The supporting characters are a bit out there like the tracker with the nose mask as Zac mentioned,the sterotypical gay guy and Saiga's sexy stalker girlfriend ginza..i think.. (god, i can't remember these Japanese names for shite.)

in the 16th episode,we're treated to a filler that lists the assets and liabilities of the Tenozu group. interesting in the fact that it's never been done before.at least from what i have seen.

I love the opening intros (both of them) but unfortunetly, the duran duran song (girls on film) will be omitted from the funimation release. OUCH! for that alone, i really can't see myself buying the dvds.That song fits the series like icing on the cake. otherwise a good series that offers something different instead of the oh so cutsey comedies and giant mecha stuff.

different streaks for different freaks,after all many liked Superman returns, the rest of us hated it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:
Mmm...the review of the first four episodes is pretty accurate, but I'd preferred to see a little more optimism, or at least objectivism; the author seems to have thrown in the towel on the entire series based on the first DVD, which can be a mistake. I wonder if the "It’s impossible to recommend purchasing this show" line will be withdrawn at a future date from this review if later DVDs get a better review.

"It’s entirely possible that this series will overcome its shaky initial outing and become something more than what it promises to be"

Not optimistic enough for you?

I'm not withdrawing anything from the review. If volume 2 or 3 or whatever suddenly become good enough to recommend purchasing the show I'll say so in the review for those volumes, but I stand by what I said.

I don't really get why so many of you think the review should be changed to reflect your opinion.

Killer 7 wrote:

After watching the first 15 eps, i actually enjoy the series and compelled to watch the rest. (regardless of Zac's negative review.)

I'm glad you also felt compelled to come in here and talk about how you already saw most of the series fansubbed and then spoil future episodes for us! THANKS!

It's also really awesome how you come in here and disagree with the review and tell us all how good the show is but also tell us how you're not going to buy it because the opening theme song is different! You're totally awesome dude!

This is probably the most egregious response I've seen so far. "I saw it and it's great, but I'm not going to buy it for some stupid petty reason". That makes me sick.

Apparently some of you are just flat-out not reading any of the other responses in the thread. If you had, you'd understand that the "I saw the fansubs and the show gets better!" responses are frowned upon. If you want to defend the show, then defend the first four episodes since that's all the review talks about. No I am not going to change the review to reflect your opinion nor am I going to remove anything from the review if down the road the show redeems itself. No, we don't care that you already downloaded the whole thing.

No, seriously, we don't.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I didn't find the premise to be silly like you did, but I can certainly see how you could. I'ts been a while since I saw Speed Grapher and I saw the broadcaster, so I can't really agree or disagree with the rest.

As for the sex, was that mainly in the club scenes (i.e. they just added it in the background) or did they add new footage that wasn't in the broadcast version to begin with?

Quote:
It’s impossible to recommend purchasing this show (although the limited edition collector’s box is one of the most gorgeous pieces Funimation has ever released),

I saw it in the store yesterday and it looked great. These two piece boxes seem to be becoming quite popular.

[off-topic]
I can't wait for mine to ship. I think its taking a while to ship because they have to use a bigger box (for this and the FMA tin) and want to wait for more of my order in order to get the most out of the bigger box. That's the only reason I can think that they haven't shipped it yet since they've had it "Reserved for [my] Order" for about two weeks now. Fortunately, I'm in no particular hurry so it's not a big deal.
[/off-topic]

What did you think of the extras? You mentioned the box, but not the extras. If you got a pre-release version, I suppose you may not have gotten the extras though.
Murakami07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I've noticed a glitch with my copy of SG vol.1 (box ed.). I've noticed that in episodes 1-3, the video hiccups right after the first chapter. I haven't tested it on another player yet but I will this afternoon to be sure. I have made sure that my DVD player is clean (used compressed air) and that the disc was not scratched. One thing I have noticed is that according to my player, the first chapter sometimes overlaps with the second. Like it'll say that the first chapter still has about a minute left before the second chapter begins. I'm not sure if it's related to my problem but that is what I have noticed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5