• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Next Forum Tournament - Voting Results

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I like the idea of Adversaries over Rival - broader scope.

Best Adversaries +4

Best Mentor +2
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Key"]
Olliff wrote:

And to answer other concerns: I switched it to "sensei" from :mentor" to broaden the pool enough for the contest to be viable. There are many great teacher/trainer characters out there who couldn't really be considered mentors except by an extremely broad interpretation. (As someone who's worked in the education field basically all his professional career, "mentor" is a specific classification rather than a general term AFAIC.)

And accordingly I have done a Vote Change, it's still a secondary vote but hey, I was the one who originally suggested the alteration from "Old Person" to "Mentor" in the previous proposals debate, I have to give it some support, don't I?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Best Adversaries - 3

Best Love Triange - 3
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll go and give Best Adversaries (broader topic than rivals) and Best Sensei 3 points each. Best Adversaries seems like it might have more contestants and have interesting discussions. Best Sensei also seems interest because I would like to see how Zetsubou-Sensei (Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei) would compete against other senseis.

tl;dr

Best Sensei +3
Best Adversaries +3
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Best Mentor +4

Do not want to use the term "sensei", mentor is more inclusive and is better aligned with the original spirit of what people wanted out of that idea.

Best Rivalry +2

Do not want to use the term "adversaries". Too vague, potentially disqualifies comrades who are competitive towards one another, and it doesn't really strike at what was intended. Goku versus Vegeta, Yang versus Reinhard, that sort of thing.

Additionally, two sides to a love triangle are easy to consider rivals, therefore Best Love Triangle is redundant.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
I like the mentor change. I'm going with:

Best Love Triangle +4
Best Mentor +2

I like the Rival/Adversary but I think these 2 categories will offer the freshest roster and change of pace compared to the rival tournament.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
I like the Rival/Adversary but I think these 2 categories will offer the freshest roster and change of pace compared to the rival tournament.

Um, we have never had a "rival tournament" and duos based on rivalries generally died quickly in the Best Duos tournament.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote
+4 to Best Love Triangle
+2 to Best Rivals
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:12 am Reply with quote
Yo Key.

My votes still count even though you haven't approved of my post yet, right? I don't want them to be approved after the cutoff time and then you claiming that I "didn't get them in on time".
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:20 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Um, we have never had a "rival tournament" and duos based on rivalries generally died quickly in the Best Duos tournament.

True, but the forerunner rival team I expect for that tournament would be L and Light, who IIRC were one that didn't last in the Duo tourney but were two of the semi-finalists for the Intelligence one.

Of course, I'm sure every tournament option will have some show up from the last. I actually do think that Love Triangle is the most likely to shake things up, though that depends on how many of the Romantic Duos had a third element to them.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
Meh, not digging the choices here. +4 to Best Mentor, no interest in the other two.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:28 am Reply with quote
My votes go to:
Best Sensei: + 4
Best Adversaries + 2

It's just a matter of interest. I do wonder what would make a love triangle good or bad.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Of course, I'm sure every tournament option will have some show up from the last. I actually do think that Love Triangle is the most likely to shake things up, though that depends on how many of the Romantic Duos had a third element to them.

Only about a third of the entries in the Duos Tournament were romantic couples, and I'm pretty sure most of them specifically weren't part of a love triangle. Of course, I can't find my spreadsheet from that tournament, so I really need to double check.

Edit: found the old thread and made up a list. 76 of the Duos were romantic in nature (a couple questionably so). Of those, 20 I know were not part of a love triangle, 19 I'm not familiar with but think they aren't, 3 are the main pairing in a harem situation, 1 situation exists where two entries are part of the same love triangle/square, and 8 of the ones that are in love triangles don't have much emphasis on it.
There are leaves 6 I know are decent love triangles, and 19 I'm not sure about, so the potential overlap between the Best Duos and a Best Love Triangle tournament would be minimal.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll go +4 mentor and +2 rivals
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Some clarifications:

*If option #2 wins then I guess we'll have to call it Best Sensei/Mentor. Apparently a lot of you misunderstood what I meant in my post clarifying that matter, and looking back at it I'll admit that I wasn't as clear as I could have been. The "Sensei" designation was intended to be fully inclusive of any character who could be legitimately called a mentor.

*Love Triangle is effectively out of the running at this point; it would need an unprecedented run of first-place votes just to even be in the ballpark with the other two. Continue to file votes on this one if you like the idea, as a good enough showing here will keep the idea in circulation for future tournaments.

*The other two are close enough that it could still go either way. (But I'm pulling for Best Rivals, since I think a lot of people are overestimating how interesting Best Sensei/Mentor would be.)

*marie-antoinette: While I think L and Light would be a contender, it's far from a forgone conclusion that they would be a front-runner, as there are several other strong options out there. I will also insist on being very particular about whether it's an L/Light rivalry or a Kira/Light rivalry, as both are distinct AFAIC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7