• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CMX on Tenjho Tenge Edits Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Devil: Did you try your comic store?

Yes, and it sells American comics and trading cards. Surprisingly, I have yet to see a manga there.

There is one small store that sells those manga but that same store also knowingly sells bootleg material (DVDs, CDs, T-shirts, Posters, etc.) I'm not about to support a business like that, so I end up paying shipping fees to get the likes of Berserk and Battle Royale in my hands.

And I live in an area of Alabama where everyone with big wallets are moving to. And since rich people are too lazy to actually take care of their kids, they demand the bookstores not sell things at Berserk's level so they will never have to deal with it. Thankfully, the manga section is growing but shounen series are as high as it goes.

I doubt Tenjho Tenge would be on the shelves here if it weren't edited. So I at least get the gist of the story if not a few scenes I never missed without the knowledge they even existed.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm under the impression that things just get worse as the series progresses. I think they are going to have to remove entire pages in the near future. I'm still not sure how relevant those scenes will be to the overall plot though.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Asako Suzuki wrote:
We hope that our commitment to continue publishing the current version of Tenjho Tenge will not discourage our readers from picking up other CMX titles.

No, we are discouraged. What commitment? Comminiment to publishing a edited version that you blatantly lied about? I know after I told my local shop about the edits, he decided to not order anything from CMX.

CMX flat out lied and was simply dishonest in the product they sold. They said they were selling Tenjo Tenge and said nothing about edits. They ship out their product only for retailers and their potential audience to find something different, something CMX never said a word about. I would guess the only sales of Tenjo Tenge are to people who just don't know any better about CMX's lie.

Since then CMX has put a warning on their solicitations for their product. Still, the trust has been broken. CMX has lied and does not show remorse for it. Instead of even trying to realkize their mistake, they just keep insisting their position was right. What arrogance.

Sorry, CMX, you've burned retialers and fans. You continue to act supereior and have never tried to redeem youself on this issue. The manga market does not need a publisher like you.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

And when was the last time we gave two shits about the Direct Market?

Considering the direct market accounts for most specialty sales (yaoi) not to mention a good portion of Tokyopop and Darkhorse's book sales, I'd say there are quite a few people who give a shit about it. Look at a diamond sales chart sometimes; manga may not dominate like it does in bookstores, but it certianly churns a signifigant profit.
Quote:
Kagemusha: Emma's probably a good series, but from a marketing stand-point, I don't see why it would sell in the U.S., when we get tons of Victorian-era shows on PBS for free. It's sort of the same reason that Memoirs of a Geisha wasn't big in Japan. Plus if series which only take place 30-40 years ago don't sell well here, imagine
how tough it is for a title taking place two centuries ago. I mean, sure, you could argue that Kenshin does well, but that's because it's about samurai, not about Victorian maids. DC seems to suffer from that, "If it's big in Japan, it must be big here", mentality which has hurt certain

Laughing I have to admit that I'm no expert when it comes to British TV, but I think Emma at least has potential if they sell it to the right crowd. It does have a solid fanbase, and they could be counting on that (because as we can see here, they're GREAT with devoted fanbases).
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote
At least we can be blessed that Air Gear is being released by a competant company.

Del Ray will get my sales for that one.
crow-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:01 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I'm under the impression that things just get worse as the series progresses. I think they are going to have to remove entire pages in the near future. I'm still not sure how relevant those scenes will be to the overall plot though.

You don't know how right you are.

spoiler[
a kid no more than 12 getting his legs slashed vertically (where it splits into sections)

a kidnapped women of clan getting tortured with the most painful looking sexually devices

Souchirou completely shattering his own mother's arm and not like to the elbow the whole arm up to the shoulder

some women being ripped apart by a multiple Bo staves]

those few examples are pretty relevant to the plot because they effect how the character act later on.
animalia555

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I assume CMX edited this but since I don't read thier version of Tenjho Tenge I wouldn't know for sure but in the arc of the past of the characters there are spoiler[underlying hints of incest between Shin and Maya.]As this is really important to the plot if they edited this like I assume they did it would really affect the plot.

Last edited by animalia555 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
R.G.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
mar2p,I understand completely what you're going through.

[EDIT: No excessive quoting, you spammer. -TK]
mar2p

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
[quote="Bahamut God"]First off, welcome to the forums Mar2p!

Thank you! Very Happy

I am amazed how seriously and personally some of you are taking this matter! (I am truly amazed). Also, I find it very funny that many of you are still whining about the edits. If you stopped buying it after the first volume, this shouldn't be bothering you so much now, no??? Just leave it to those who enjoy reading, and you should move on!! For me, "Tenjho Tenge" is just one of the many manga titles, and it doesn't affect me anyway emotionally if it is 'edited' or not.

GATSU-san, I read both Japanese version and CMX version, but I really can't tell the difference in the plot. Perhaps my English isn't good enough after living here nearly two decades - or my Japanese has gotten bad?

I, like many Japanese, don't read manga word to word - I'd rather read (or going throu) them with speed to makes scenes flow (like watching anime) and enjoy the story in more lively way. You should watch me when I read manga - I am sure I make faces the same ways characters do in the book! Embarassed

But, if you are upset about CMX, ah well. I am disappointed to know how people are unforgiving and not wanting to give a chance. CMX is not destructing your life or anything. You are the consumer with choices. If you don't like the product, then don't buy it. It's your choice, not CMX's. Some of you are unbelievably mean and irrational - what if no one gives you a chance or offer a help when you fail by making a poor judgement? When we make choices, we always try to make the best (or better) choice whatever the consequences may be. CMX may have made a wrong decision at each branching point as to "Tenjho Tenge," but it's apparent that they are trying to do a better job. It's too bad that you don't see that.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:54 am Reply with quote
mar:
Quote:
If you stopped buying it after the first volume, this shouldn't be bothering you so much now, no??? Just leave it to those who enjoy reading, and you should move on!!

I think the point is that those who stopped buying it are those most likely to enjoy it.

Quote:
For me, "Tenjho Tenge" is just one of the many manga titles, and it doesn't affect me anyway emotionally if it is 'edited' or not.

Doesn't really bother me, emotionally, either, but as a consumer, I still feel insulted.

Quote:
GATSU-san, I read both Japanese version and CMX version, but I really can't tell the difference in the plot. Perhaps my English isn't good enough after living here nearly two decades - or my Japanese has gotten bad?

Maybe the general idea hasn't been changed, but obviously the context of the situation has been changed.

Quote:
Some of you are unbelievably mean and irrational - what if no one gives you a chance or offer a help when you fail by making a poor judgement?

I think most people would be willing to forgive CMX, if CMX was willing to actually acknowledge their mistake.

Quote:
When we make choices, we always try to make the best (or better) choice whatever the consequences may be. CMX may have made a wrong decision at each branching point as to "Tenjho Tenge," but it's apparent that they are trying to do a better job.It's too bad that you don't see that.

What I don't see how changing the rating and logo, but still leaving everything edited, is doing a better job.
Akuinnen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:10 am Reply with quote
Evil or Very Mad Not happy with TenTen english version...i dislike it so much. Actually when TenTen got licensed i thought "GREAT now i can support anoter mangka i like" but alas...with edits i will NOT...Preferably if I have enough money will track down Japanese language manga.

But no matter what anime or manga it is...when it comes to the US/Australia/UK etc it will be edited...in some form...whether just be the dub over for voices...or w/ subtitles added etc.

Example: Berserk, was bought out into the US/Aust and it was edited, but it was edited by the creator...one version for Japanese audience and another more suited for the western audience...But myself, I prefer Japanese with english sub...so i was peeved (so i have a bootlegged version)...

I've read 94 chapters of TenTen (scanlations)...which eventually will be replaced with manga...IF and ONLY there is an uncensored verion...Or i happen to find the Japanese language manga.

If enough people boy-cot we should see something happen....But in order that would mean not supporting any titles under CMX =\
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:05 am Reply with quote
Remind me to look for the scanlations online when I finally decide to start reading it.

Last edited by shadow_Hiei on Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:54 am Reply with quote
[quote="Akuinnen"]
Example: Berserk, was bought out into the US/Aust and it was edited, but it was edited by the creator...one version for Japanese audience and another more suited for the western audience...But myself, I prefer Japanese with english sub...so i was peeved (so i have a bootlegged version)...[/qoute]

The version bought out in Australia is a near-direct port of the US version. The DVDs contain the original Japanese version, with English subtitles. The version produced was meant simply to be an English language version of the Berserk series, not a 'westernised' edited version. Regardless of preference, the US/AU release of Berserk is NOT edited in that fashion (the only thing that is 'edited' isn't even content, simply episode title cards are in English, as are credits, which are essentially an exact duplicate translation of the Japanese). Just because a disc has a dub, doesn't give you any right to purchase a bootlegged version.

Quote:
If enough people boy-cot we should see something happen....But in order that would mean not supporting any titles under CMX =\

It's been bought up, but boycotts will only work if there is an organised, and sufficient demand for changes. People keep buying TT, so boycotts won't work. However, you could always simply campaign it, let them know through organisation of what you want, actually establish a working dialouge/repoire with them.
Akuinnen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's been bought up, but boycotts will only work if there is an organised, and sufficient demand for changes. People keep buying TT, so boycotts won't work. However, you could always simply campaign it, let them know through organisation of what you want, actually establish a working dialouge/repoire with them.

Even if you do do a patition they can still choose to ignore. Also they can still refuse to listen to anything anyone says even in discussion. They canmake face by going and listening...but whether they take that into consideration we as die hard fans loose out. As an overall, with any manga or anime or movie.

Sometimes its really sad when companies dont listen...But yeah majority wins...
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:24 am Reply with quote
mar2p wrote:
I am amazed how seriously and personally some of you are taking this matter! (I am truly amazed). Also, I find it very funny that many of you are still whining about the edits. If you stopped buying it after the first volume, this shouldn't be bothering you so much now, no???

Easy for you to say... We take it seriously because it's not just about Tenjou tenge, it's a matter of principle. What CMX did to TenTen may happen to other manga. Also, you're in a good position because you can just buy the Japanese version. That's what I'm going to do, too, but I know many people who can only read English and therefore their only chance to enjoy TenTen legally is the English version which is heavily edited. TenTen doesn't have much plot and character development, its main attraction is the sex/fanservice and violence. Tone those down and the whole thing is just not the same.

mar2p wrote:
CMX is not destructing your life or anything. You are the consumer with choices.

But most customers in this case have three options: they either buy the heavily edited English version or they buy it unedited in a language that they don't understand, or they don't buy it at all. Also, as far as I know CMX didn't warn their customers that the title would be edited, so they didn't play fair. What happened to TenTen may happen again.

mar2p wrote:
CMX may have made a wrong decision at each branching point as to "Tenjho Tenge," but it's apparent that they are trying to do a better job.

What Gatsu said. Also, without the complaints against their treatment of TenTen they wouldn't try to do a better job at all. In cases like this, complaining is the only thing a customer can do to make the company realize their mistakes. Of course, there are people who take complaining to the extremes - boycotting CMX is stupid in my opinion (especially as they're doing a good job with From Eroica With Love), but complaints are necessary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6