• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Bill on Making Illegal Streams a Felony Detailed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximym Meyham!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Give this one a rest would you? If you'd bother to actually look into that case, you'd see that McDonalds was purposely being negligent and had their coffee much hotter than what would be considered remotely reasonable. Any time someone brings this up in their arguments, it makes their argument null and void in my eyes, since they obviously aren't doing any research and are just going off of the headlines that they've read.

*ahem* http://www.seanbaby.com/news/mcdonalds.htm

I don't $#@#ing care how insane it would take for you to read this article. Coffee is ALWAYS going to be hot. Like how I want nice stew when I'm sick, I don't want it at a temperature where I'm likely going to get more germs. Yes, it will likely be at ten degrees higher than it usually is, but that's just life, things happen. Maybe the person who has the coffee should have set the @#$#ing coffee on the table than act like a @#$@#%$##@@#$ with no common sense. IT'S A HOT DRINK. YOU SPILL YOU GET A @#$#ING BURN, AND IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT $%#@ING DUMB TECHNICALITY IT IS. THAT'S IT.

And how does this boil down to a moral?

Easy. When stupid, greedy and @#$%headed morons want to use ludicrous loopholes and dumb as @#$# excuses to rip you off of some cash, they will do it. It doesn't matter what position they hold in life, because if all they want is to extort cash from you for doing something rather harmless and not even that impacting, you know there's something in that person's childhood that made their brain like that. Like when Viacom wanted to, oh, I don't know, sue the company that gave them permission to host properties, I'm sure that means something. Like maybe the higher ups are too @#$#ing irresponsible and stupid with legal power. I'm very sure their credibility to being responsible is very high when they sue the @#$% out of associates, right? /sarcasm

I don't mind at all protecting business from rampant piracy. But most of all, the piracy ISN'T rampant. Piracy will ALWAYS happen, no matter how small it is. Why the @#$% is this bill being introduced again? Is it because anime not known in the US is being given exposure through not insane and pocket draining ways because it's a niche style of animation? Because old anime that was shown years ago aren't being milked to dry hell of their royalties still today? I don't @#$#ing get it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:38 am Reply with quote
Maximym Meyham!! wrote:
Why the @#$% is this bill being introduced again?

To protect the big Hollywood industries, of course.
Why'd ya think it was? Laughing
Shale

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote
Funny, if everybody kept their coffee hot enough that touching it with bare skin required skin grafts, you'd think we'd hear about that more often.
Maximym Meyham!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
Funny, if everybody kept their coffee hot enough that touching it with bare skin required skin grafts, you'd think we'd hear about that more often.

You got that right. ;3
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
I understand the whole situation here. People need to get paid for their work and thats great and all. They should, but this seems a bit excessive. I mean hell there are murderers and rapist who only serve 6 years and this is as bad?
you are comparing apples and oranges there ~ is the maximum prison term for murder in the first degree six years? or is the maximum term life, and sensationalist stories about six year terms for murderers a combination of being convicted of murder in a lower degree or manslaughter, and serving the balance of an eight or ten year term on probation?

Quote:
I just think this is going a bit over the top. These people should be fined not Jailed.
It seems likely that prison terms other than on probation would be reserved for the most extreme ends and for repeat offenders.
silentjay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote
Maximym Meyham!! wrote:

Wow, mistaking an editorial , and an ill informed one at that, with news.

Here, try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s_coffee_case
MarkJr92892

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Why are so many people posting about not being able to see a large number of animes without illegal sources?

I am watching all of the following animes legally through Crunchyroll and FUNimation:
1. Hanasaku Iroha
2. Tono to Issho
3. Battle Girls: Time Parradox
4. Aria the Scarlet Ammo
5. Steins;Gate
6. Toriko
7. Blue Exorcist
8. C: The Money of Soul and Possibility CONTROL
9. SKET Dance
10. A Bridge to the Starry Skies
11. Gosick
12. We, Without Wings: Under the Innocent Sky
13. Deadman Wonderland

There are a total of 22 different legal simulcasts on Crunchyroll.com, four different legal simulcasts on FUNimation .com, one legal simulcst at Viz.com, and one different legal simulcast on TheAnimeNetwork.com. That is a total of 27 legal simulcasts the season when not counting duplicate simulcasts.

There are plenty of legally available animes to watch. Very Happy
Maximym Meyham!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
Wow, mistaking an editorial , and an ill informed one at that, with news.

Here, try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s_coffee_case

Still doesn't take a roomful of monkeys to know that it takes at least a part of your brain to realize what the hell a hot drink is, what the word hot means and noticing how backass the entire idea of suing people over trivial accidents is. Rolling Eyes

No, seriously, I'm a forum lurker bitching over people about @#$%ing coffee incidents. You know how $#@$ing stupid it is looking at technicalities and thinking that you can sue nature and probability of accidents just because your hot drink is hot? I don't care if it's @$#%ing magma. If you're too stupid to realize to not burn yourself with it, you do need to go to an institution where people will help you not cut yourself with a butter knife or not nosedive into a bathtub, aside from safely guiding you across traffic because you don't know how to use the #$%#ing crosswalk and not eating rat poison because you think it's a batch of Lime Nerds candy. And if you do accidentally burn yourself with it, you can moan all you want about how much it hurts, but that doesn't give you legal action. Unless you're assbackwards and have to still use diapers.

And I'm very sure that the folks at mcdonalds know how to turn up their coffee machine to Magma and test it out on bunnies in the back, am I right? /sarcasm
Maximym Meyham!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
MarkJr92892 wrote:
Why are so many people posting about not being able to see a large number of animes without illegal sources?

Right on! 'w'
Shale

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Being burned badly enough that you need a substantial percentage of your skin surgically replaced isn't what I'd call a "trivial accident." The suit wasn't over the fact that she got burned at all, but that the coffee was kept so hot that a simple spill required fairly major surgery to repair the damage.
Dante80

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
Being burned badly enough that you need a substantial percentage of your skin surgically replaced isn't what I'd call a "trivial accident." The suit wasn't over the fact that she got burned at all, but that the coffee was kept so hot that a simple spill required fairly major surgery to repair the damage.

But...

a> It wasn't a simple spill.
b> Hot coffee served at vendors or made at home is (and will forever be) at temperatures that can cause deep tissue damage when a> happens.

You just have to love some aspects of the American judicial system..Anime hyper
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote
MarkJr92892 wrote:
because its a traditional excuse passed on in discussion forums and chat rooms of bootleg leech streaming sites. Four years ago it was substantially true. Today it is substantially false. But in those discussion forums inclined to accept it, on sites that generate ad revenue through pick pocketing the content creators, it continues to live on.

Quote:
I am watching all of the following animes legally through Crunchyroll and FUNimation:
1. Hanasaku Iroha
2. Tono to Issho
3. Battle Girls: Time Parradox
4. Aria the Scarlet Ammo
5. Steins;Gate
6. Toriko
7. Blue Exorcist
8. C: The Money of Soul and Possibility CONTROL
9. SKET Dance
10. A Bridge to the Starry Skies
11. Gosick
12. We, Without Wings: Under the Innocent Sky
13. Deadman Wonderland

There are a total of 22 different legal simulcasts on Crunchyroll.com, four different legal simulcasts on FUNimation .com, one legal simulcst at Viz.com, and one different legal simulcast on TheAnimeNetwork.com. That is a total of 27 legal simulcasts the season when not counting duplicate simulcasts.

At this point, the normal response is for someone not from the US to chime in that they don't have that many choices ~ but then, a bootleg streaming site that blocks US IP addresses would be beyond the reach of this law, so the only reason a bootleg leech streaming site would be at any jeopardy is they are streaming to the US in direct competition with legit streaming sites that pay royalties back to the content creators.

Of course, at least that would be on topic, unlike this bizarre take over of the thread by a bunch of non-lawyers re-litigating the McDonald's coffee case.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:

It wasn't a simple spill. Problem was she was sitting down in her car and had the coffee in her lap. She may even have been buckled in (if she is a safe driver). She couldn't do what most people can when they spill something hot on themselves, that is get up and move away from the source of the spill. Since she spilled her hot coffee in her lap, in her tender areas and her clothes soaked up that hot coffee and held it close to said tender areas, her skin was exposed longer to the hot temperatures which resulted in a more severe and deep burn.

Being seated in a car seat and probably buckled in she could not move easily or with speed as was needed.

It is spelled out quite clearly in the wiki article, as to why coffee is served as hot as it is. Especially take out coffee. Starbucks gives you those thermal insulators for a reason.

Coffee that is served at the right temperature, and taking into account the vessel it is served in, will taste better than coffee that is served cooler. If you are serious about selling great tasting coffee, then you will brew it and serve it at the temperature that is needed to get the most taste out of the coffee beans. The selling point is taste not safety.

The extreme nature of her burns, is because of where she spilled the coffee on herself, and that her clothes soaked up that coffee, and that she could not move and remove her clothes as needed in a timely manner.

If you are being careless, with a hot cup of joe and get burned, that is your fault, not the manufacturers. As the wiki article states, the courts usually rule against the burned coffee drinkers. You are responsible for your actions, not McDonalds.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
valuable copyrighted works for commercial advantage or private financial gain."

unfortunately very very FEW sites actually do this for commercial advantage or private financial gain. they do it to spread entertainment that otherwise is not being spread on these shores.

I'm pretty sure this law is targeted at people who upload US tv series and movies, not Japanese anime. Just because it's on an anime site doesn't mean it's inherently about anime. It simply could have an affect on anime.

LagannImpact wrote:
So what's the definition of a "performance"? Guess once this passes I better pick which 9 anime episodes I want to illegally stream...because one more and it's a felony!?! Shocked But hopefully those sites will simply be shut down. In the case of illegal streaming, it simply makes more sense to punish the uploaders rather than the downloaders...

The problem is that I'm not sure the lawmakers understand this.

I'm guessing a performance would be one live display, or one online view. So if you upload a file and 10 different people watch it, it would qualify. So 9 episodes would pretty much screw you over, guaranteed, unless no one actually watched them.
tyciol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
farix wrote:
Sean71976 wrote:
Look, this issue wouldn't be as big a problem if the domestic companies would get off their asses and get the show to us in a timely manner. Popular anime are still sitting waiting to be brought over and have finished their runs months or even years ago. Bring them to me or I'll watch them where I can find them. I'll buy them when the do arrive but I'm not willing to wait years to see a show.

Most anime nowadays are simulcast via Crunchyroll, Hulu, Funimation, Anime Network, VIZ, etc. within a week of the original Japanese broadcast. So this kind of complaint holds no water.

This may apply to new series (at least the non-controversial ones, I doubt we'll see KnJ on any of these) but definitely not a lot of old ones. Is Ashita no Joe being translated to English anyway I'm unaware of?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5