• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Lull in the Sea (Nagi no Asukara) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
OMG.
This show, I can't....

Joking aside, Hikari IS actually a good kid. Good little brother and (becoming) a good friend. And is it me or is this whole mindset of "dating=MUST GET MARRIED" this children have somehow really adorable? "You can't date my sister unless you're COMMITTED, pal!" from Hikari and then there's Manaka thinking about Tsumugu...holy crap, it's all too cute...I died from the cute overload just from that pool scene alone. IT WAS PRECIOUS.

This show is precious. I can't wait to see more precious. I'm so happy I chose to watch this. (oAnime smileo)
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Joking aside, Hikari IS actually a good kid. Good little brother and (becoming) a good friend. And is it me or is this whole mindset of "dating=MUST GET MARRIED" this children have somehow really adorable? "You can't date my sister unless you're COMMITTED, pal!" from Hikari and then there's Manaka thinking about Tsumugu...

Judging by what spoiler[Uroko says about how the people of the land can't have any people of the sea], I'm starting to think that maybe part of the reason for the dating=must get married mindset is a result of the dwindling number of sea people.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
God I love this show. Hikari and Manaka are developing rather fast for a 2 cour series.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
At first, I thought those kids were just being brats but once I realized it after watching the episode..I did understand them a little better.

The title of the episode fits perfectly though with the key word "friends" being part of it.

spoiler[CHEST]! It's funny how kids solve problems these days. It's amusing to watch and see them make up afterwards. I remember when I was a kid and we fought over stupid things as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, little Manaka! I forgot to mention how proud I was of her for spoiler[telling the truth.]
And she was awesomely rewarded for it too.^^
spoiler[Tsumugu has such a CUTE laugh. Hikari aggressively showing his approval by tackling him was icing on the cake.]
I blogged that entire scene!
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
Considering that i was about ready to drop it after the first ep., this show keeps growing on me. I like it that the kids act their age but are still maturing at a believable pace. And while the focus has mostly been on Manaka, Hikari (and Tsugumu), it was nice to see Kaname getting his time to shine in this episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Dare I say that the sentiment in this episode was actually beautiful. Although at first some of the ways they can react can be frustrating, it does become clear that they are all kids, they don't always make the right decisions. They started to worm emotion into me about the spoiler[loss of family], and seeing the depth. I actually rolled my eyes at first for the kid spoiler[started crying], but by the end of her story I spoiler[had tears in my eyes, she just wanted to help her true friend and thought that was the way].

I have not had much strong reactions about this show thus far, but I call what happened here 'beautiful'. A thumbs up from me.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote
I'd have to say this was the best episode this far at least.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:

I agree it seems to be just getting better and better. Whomever wrote this really seems to know what she is doing.

It is sort of surprising I haven't seen the word "creeepy" a few thousand times from the usual suspects (you know who you are) over the fact that Itaru having a romance with Akari who was basically more of a peer to his daughter than an adult. I guess they aren't watching. For my part I think it was a bit unfair for Uroko to accuse her of just wanting to take the mother's place.

I wonder if Hikari managed this time to break the cultural barrier with the surface kids? Their level of bigotry and willingness to act on it is as bad as anything Atticus Finch's kids would have seen.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
What's creepy about it? Or do I not know who Haru is?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
@ Haruhi Toy - not sure why you think Akari is more of a peer to the daughter than an adult. It's always a bit dangerous trying to guess anyone's age in anime, but the daughter seems to be about ten whereas Akari (who is no longer in school) could be anywhere from 18 upwards.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Haruhi Toy - not sure why you think Akari is more of a peer to the daughter than an adult. It's always a bit dangerous trying to guess anyone's age in anime, but the daughter seems to be about ten whereas Akari (who is no longer in school) could be anywhere from 18 upwards.

You are right that it is risky to go on visuals alone, and to make matters works Akari is a secondary character so there are not that many pictures of her out there on the web.

Having said all that there was that scene where she was having a meal with Itaru, his wife and Minua (flashback) and I had the impression she was drawn definitely smaller. She looked like she was in middle school. I could be wrong. I don't feel like cueing up a screenshot maybe somebody else here has it.

Personally, if it weren't for the aspect of being ostracized from her own society as a result I wouldn't have a problem with the relationship. As I said I thought Uroko was being unfair. It was wrong of her not to tell Itaru about it though.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
I decided to watch all four eps over the weekend, and I definitely thought Akari's romantic interest was a bit creepy once it was revealed that she was (seemingly?) under 18 when they met and a friend of the wife/mother before she died. That said, she's an adult now, and it's been a few years since the wife has died. If it weren't for the damned rule that they can't marry Surfies, their relationship would be a-ok. Adorable, even.

Uroko was being harsh on purpose, though it may have the opposite of its desired effect...
Point of confusion: spoiler[they implied that the shopkeep's wife (Manue?) was also a Sea-Person who went off and married a Surfie. If she was, than why wouldn't her husband/Akari's current bf know about the no-mingling rule?]

I found myself really pulled into to the show. Even the kiddie melodrama is well-written, and even though it takes itself way too seriously most of the time. It's just a very absorbing show. The culture/world building really makes it work.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:

It doesn't beat Episode 03 but it's good, all the same.

There are a number of characters who are suffering from my second least favorite cliche, DMS. spoiler[Dead Mother Syndrome]. But if that is to be used to help them bond or understand each other, I guess it's okay. I would like to know what's spoiler[killing off all these sea mothers.] It just irks me when they don't even give a COD. >:/

Manaka's certainly growing a backbone. I'm really pleased with the character development all around. Though I can't quite read Kaname's emotions. Is Chisaki just a childhood friend to him or does he like her and is one of those "as long as my beloved is happy" types?

I don't think Akari's relationship is creepy at all. But I hope she's not rebound or anything.

My most important ship here though is ManakaxTsumugu. I hope to see more moments with them in upcoming eps. :3 I'm glad Hikari's jealousy is being played for laughs now.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5
NO! Naughty tear ducts. Evil series.
Anywho, even though it was a little over the top in its drama, I liked this episode. This series is definitely a keeper. The characters are likable and keep progressing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 39