• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Unveils Evangelion 3.0's English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
Jerry Jewel as Kaworu.
I don't know if I feel anything about that, but it made me pause.

penguintruth wrote:

The movie's pretty much just Shinji and Kowaru fondling each other for two hours.

If only. They reduced the sexual tension between these two from awkward and apparent to practically platonic. And the piano easily has the most lines in the film.

The piano playing is a metaphor for all their sex.

Stoker did it better.

To be honest, I liked what 3.0 did, I just wish it had done more of it. And I have no intention of watching the English dub so goodbye to this thread. Razz
Adamb15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
I, for one, am pleased with this development. VERY pleased. Very Happy

*cough* I see why!
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
OncelostLu wrote:
Has there been a general consensus of which version of the series is a better experience? I've never seen the anime or any of the movies, so I'm curious as to if I should check out the anime, or just knock out the movies.
I do like the original show quite a bit, but it can be tough for many people to get through and I wouldn't force it on anybody.

Really? I just recently introduced my friend to Evangelion through the Rebuild films and now he's already finished the series and it's one of his all time favorites now. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Anyway, I'm really glad to hear this announcement. It came a bit earlier than I initially expected, so that's definitely a good thing. Dare I predict that it might release before the end of this year? That would be pretty great. I just want to watch it already, I've been waiting about 2 years for this now, ever since I first watched 2.0. Looking forward to Funimation's release.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
Jerry Jewel as Kaworu.
I don't know if I feel anything about that, but it made me pause.

penguintruth wrote:

The movie's pretty much just Shinji and Kowaru fondling each other for two hours.

If only. They reduced the sexual tension between these two from awkward and apparent to practically platonic. And the piano easily has the most lines in the film.

The piano playing is a metaphor for all their sex.

Not that I mind, but come on, a little more plot development, guys.

I love this guys. I'm literally in tears lol X'D But anyway, I'm surprised this is coming out so soon! Wow! I can't wait to watch! I'm glad most of the original cast is here. Spike did amazing in 2.0. Hope he does well in this one too Smile
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote
Has a BD release date been announced?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
Curious to see how this works out. If I don't like the dub, I'll just have to stick to my Japanese version that I imported Very Happy

On a diff note, to all the people who complain that the movie has "nothing occurring" in it, just don't watch it.

If you don't like the slow story- don't watch it
If you don't like Kaworu and Shinji- don't watch it
If you don't like the direction of the film- don't watch it

Just shut up and stop complaining
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Yes, nobody should ever complain when something is terrible! Especially when it's part of a franchise they already enjoy and desecrates it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
The problem is we already watched it. We can't un-watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
The problem is we already watched it. We can't un-watch it.

sure you can, just get someone to whack you over the head real hard and hope it gives you amnesia
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Yes, nobody should ever complain when something is terrible! Especially when it's part of a franchise they already enjoy and desecrates it!

In my personal opinion, I felt that 3.0 was the first of the Rebuild tetrology that actually gave me that classic Neon Genesis feeling. The first one doesn't count because it basically IS the first 6 episodes of the series, and the second (while I loved it) covered a bit too many events in a very short amount of time. And due to the fact that it was still technically condensing the rest of the series it got rid of many of the psychological themes that I loved. But with 3.0 it really felt like a true Evangelion style feature length film to me, and it was structured in a nicely paced way. It had a very theatrical feel to it. And I also liked the relationship between Shinji and Kaworu much more in the movie than I did in the series. It felt like a more brotherly type of relationship than anything else. I guess in short what I'm trying to say is that this film really solidified the Rebuild series as its own unique continuity.

But of course that's just what some people may think. I respect your thoughts on the film and I'm sorry that you did not enjoy it as much as you were hoping to. Although I think we can at least both agree that Pen Pen is bad ass. Smile
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I've been a fan of eva since the 90's and own the whole platinum box set of NGE and the original release of EoE and I own every rebuilt movie as Japanese import and as a funi release (I own 1.11 three times DVD/BD/Japanese BD). And guess what, eva 3.0 is my favorite out of all of them!

I like 2.22 the least out of all of them, but so what, I still bought it. The thing is, being a fan of a franchise is loving the universe and its characters.

All the people who claim to be eva fans are young fans that got into the franchise with 2.22---they all expect every film to be an action packed mindfuck. Well sorry, but 2.22 was a rushed release to get all the similarities with NGE out of the way. The true rebuilt started with 3.0 since it's actually new content! Anno mentioned it many times, rebuilt is not a re-telling, its a re-imagining.

So please shut up and stop whining. If you don't like whats happening to the franchise, go back and watch NGE (that version will never be altered). If not, then enjoy rebuilt for what it is.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Excuse me, I've been a fan of Eva since I was 11, that was about 12 years ago. So don't pull this "young fans" bullshit.

3.33 was bad, but it had nothing to do with a lack of action. It had to do with just awful storytelling and characterization that makes no sense.

Yes lets make everything nonsensical and obtuse for the sake of it! Thats a good idea.

Lets take away the progress Shinji has made in these movies!

Lets not continue developing these new characters we created!

Genius.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
"Shut up and don't complain" is so contemptibly sanctimonious.

No, I will complain when the building plotline screeches to a halt for ninety minutes of Shinji being crapped on for something he didn't know he was wrong for doing. I will complain when an unnecessary seven year timeskip is blatantly so that fans can feel better masturbating to what were previously underage characters. I will complain when eighty percent of character dialogue is either technobabble or Shinji and Kaworu flirting. When characters who do nothing and say nothing are introduced. When characters who use to be vital to the story are now little more than cameos. When the plot progression is nearly crippled for what is essentially a padded out version of episode 24 of the TV series. When the budget goes into two characters playing the piano together. When the movie ends with all of the characters the same as they started.

When a movie vandalizes a perfectly good ongoing story with a lot of plodding humming and hawing and completely ignores all the characters except a couple, I'm going to complain. Because it's crap.

I have nothing but pure venom for somebody who expects me to just go back to the TV series and ignore the terrible fate of a series with two good movies and one that watches like a complete practical joke. I've been a NGE fan for more than a decade and this is the worst feature to ever bare its name. If it weren't for some of the visuals, it wouldn't even be worth the time they used to make it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When a movie vandalizes a perfectly good ongoing story with a lot of plodding humming and hawing and completely ignores all the characters except a couple, I'm going to complain. Because it's crap.

I also hated End of Evangelion.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I still wish Sue Ulu was able to return as Sharon Stone- I mean Ritsuko...

But I heard she doesn't really do anything in this movie, barely being in it and only having a few lines so....

Guess it's not really worth seeing if there is hardly any character development for Ritsuko/Misato, with it instead being transferred to Shinji/Kaworu[/b]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3