• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I''s editing

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordMelkor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:47 am Reply with quote
I was curious about the extent of the editing for I''s volume 8, since I was considering ordering it online, and it is probably the volume that Viz would be likely to censor the most. If this volume is heavily edited, I probably will not want to make this purchase.

So if any one who owns it or has seen it, could check it out that would be cool!

Here are some sample pages from the original from chapter 68.

NOTE: That these pages fall under the same rating as the volumes (T+) and should not be viewed unless you are an "Older Teen", and contain content that those under that limit may find offensive, however since these were published for the same audience range in japan I think it is appropriate to post them with the given warning.
(- I have also erased the text.)

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8931/vol08ch06802pw8.jpg
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/6826/vol08ch06807ce6.jpg
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:05 am Reply with quote
LordMelkor wrote:
I was curious about the extent of the editing for I''s volume 8, since I was considering ordering it online, and it is probably the volume that Viz would be likely to censor the most. If this volume is heavily edited, I probably will not want to make this purchase.

I haven't read the Japanese version, scanlations, or so on, but judging from those shots and having read volume eight, Viz puts steam over the nipples in the bath scene, which is par for them covering any other instances of nipples. Nothing else from those shots specifically have been censored, so I would expect similar treatment for the rest of the book.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:47 am Reply with quote
LordMelkor wrote:

So if any one who owns it or has seen it, could check it out that would be cool!

Here are some sample pages from the original from chapter 68.

NOTE: That these pages fall under the same rating as the volumes (T+) and should not be viewed unless you are an "Older Teen", and contain content that those under that limit may find offensive, however since these were published for the same audience range in japan I think it is appropriate to post them with the given warning.
(- I have also erased the text.)

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8931/vol08ch06802pw8.jpg
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/6826/vol08ch06807ce6.jpg

I have Vol. 8, & yeah, those 2 scenes were edited. Nami's nipples were edited in the 1st link with steam, & Izumi's nipples were edited by bubbles & the 2nd link.

*sigh* While censoring doesn't really bother me too much, I honestly don't think it matters too much to edit them out, if we alaready have other Masakazu Katsura titles that show the nipples (I'm directing this comment to Video Girl Ai). If they had to edit it, then it shouldn't have been a SJA title from the beginning. Sad Evil or Very Mad
LordMelkor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
So there is no ridiculous censoring like drawing bikinis on to them like I've seen done elsewhere, right??

Whats unfortunate about this instance of censorship is that this whole scene was drawn to emphasize the fact that while he looked at everyone else Seto did not try to look at Iori... oh well.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote
No, Viz did not pull a "Tenjho Tenge" on I"s. Anime hyper All they did were nipple edits on I"s.

It really is a shame, since it is Shonen Jump Advanced, after all. If the line was directed towards an older audience, then it would make less sense to make such edits, no? It must be because since it's still branded as a "Shonen Jump" title that still makes it susceptible to edits. =\

Like I typed before, if they had to edit it due to it being a SJA title, it shouldn't have been one in the first place. But since it was serialized in SJ in Japan, it was probably unavoidable.

Which leads me to a question: Can Viz release series that were/are serialized in SJ Japan into their other lines, like Action, etc.? I would think "why not?", but I want to make sure.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Which leads me to a question: Can Viz release series that were/are serialized in SJ Japan into their other lines, like Action, etc.? I would think "why not?", but I want to make sure.

Oh, I'm certain they can. Some of the older titles, like Video Girl Ai, are in the action/Viz Media line, but with an almost instant hit status with it being involved in the Shonen Jump line, I'm certain a general title sells better in the SJ or SJA line than a general title in action/Viz Media.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I think anything they get that ran in Shonen Jump (J) will be under the SJ label. The only new titles that get put into the Action line (which is no more, it is now a generic line and has a big red "V" instead) are ones that were not published in Shonen Jump (J). Any Shonen Jump titles in the Action label would have started being publised prior the creation of the American Shonen Jump magazine and lable.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:06 am Reply with quote
I think anything with Shonen Jump in the title, Advanced or otherwise, is still marketed to a younger audience. I bet if it didn't have that in the title, the art would have been unaltered.
tsukinoken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I think anything they get that ran in Shonen Jump (J) will be under the SJ label. The only new titles that get put into the Action line (which is no more, it is now a generic line and has a big red "V" instead) are ones that were not published in Shonen Jump (J). Any Shonen Jump titles in the Action label would have started being publised prior the creation of the American Shonen Jump magazine and lable.

Dont you find it strange that in FMA under the action line up they swear like a sailor but in the SJ line up that is the same age rating there hardly allowed any language at all?
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
LordMelkor wrote:

I have Vol. 8, & yeah, those 2 scenes were edited. Nami's nipples were edited in the 1st link with steam, & Izumi's nipples were edited by bubbles & the 2nd link.

Just for your information : I have the french version (Tonkam), and there it seems nothing is edited.
However, my version (which reads right-to-left, as it should be in the original) is flipped compared to your scans. Have you flipped the original scan or what ? (that's why your text is erased, too ?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
No, Viz did not pull a "Tenjho Tenge" on I"s. Anime hyper All they did were nipple edits on I"s.

It really is a shame, since it is Shonen Jump Advanced, after all. If the line was directed towards an older audience, then it would make less sense to make such edits, no? It must be because since it's still branded as a "Shonen Jump" title that still makes it susceptible to edits. =\

Like I typed before, if they had to edit it due to it being a SJA title, it shouldn't have been one in the first place. But since it was serialized in SJ in Japan, it was probably unavoidable.

Nah, it wasn't unavoidable, they can release it under whichever line they want. Not that it really matters. Under their action line, they've now decied to censor Midori Days vol 7 (while there was plenty of nipples to be found the volumes prior to this).

It makes no sense - and I have my doubts about buying anything from Viz in the future. I don't pay the companies to think for me, or decide what I want to see. I pay for them to translate it for me and bring it out in English - that's it. If they need to do anything else to it - then I don't know why I should bother.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1