• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
D.Gray-man anime, worth it?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yami_sora
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Hey everyone, I was considering getting into the D.Gray-man anime. I know the manga is still ongoing in Japan though so does that mean the anime ends in an unsatisfying way like it does with Fruits Basket and Rurouni Kenshin? I'd rather not watch 103 episodes of a series that doesn't have an ending and then figure out where I have to pick up the manga to continue with the story. I know that the series was broken into 2 seasons so does anyone know if there will be a season 3 to continue the story? Thanks.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Preeety much. It's a reasonably satisfying ending, it resolves the current arc and is a fair enough jumping off point, but it's definitely not the end end of the series, and you'll probably be interested in picking up the manga. It's a good show though, so watch it anyways.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quote
^This is true though I found the show really plodding in the beginning for the first 25 episodes or so. Once that's over and done with though it picks up nicely and becomes awesome when the story starts kicking in. I fear that Funimation's release of the series will fail because of these initial episodes' blandness and that then they'll feel getting the rest of the episodes is a waste of time. Confused
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
I agree with Kruszer's assessment on this one. It doesn't really grab you in the first episodes like Dragonball or Bleach did. The D.Gray-man world is hard to get into because of the lack of explanations at the start and the gloomy feel to it. Overall I don't regret following it to the end, but if you would ask me to watch it again, I wouldn't take you up on the offer. The ending itself, for me at least, was inconclusive. It wrapped up the arc but it left too much too the imagination, which of course means another season is inevitable, but it also means that disappointment and melancholia are sure to follow it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
Yeah, unfortunately it just leaves a lot of loose ends. I really hope it starts back up in a few years or so to continue things.

....I want more Linalee. Smile
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
I think D.Gray-Man will work well enough, it has a slightly slow start, but not that slow, there's plenty of fun in the early episodes. The only series I really worry about is Hitman REBORN, which is one of my favorite series at the moment, but suffers from a massive amount of flailing at the begining before it starts to find its ground. That's the only series is the history of anime in which I'd actually LOVE to see them do a Card Captors hack-job on for domestic release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1