• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Flamenco (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:26 am Reply with quote
I like it how most people complaining about this "new" direction the series is taking dont articulate their reasons for hatred.If we are planning on having a meaningful discussion it would be nice if people could actually say why they dislike the way series is evolving.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:33 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I like it how most people complaining about this "new" direction the series is taking don't articulate their reasons for hatred.If we are planning on having a meaningful discussion it would be nice if people could actually say why they dislike the way series is evolving.

Because it is so different now to how it was before. How before it liked to be within the realms of possibility, while now it is in the entire opposite direction. That our bright eyed naïve hero is starting to turn arrogant. That we have no idea what is happening with the sudden shift.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:42 am Reply with quote
@ ikc - well done, sir! Pity this thread has become more entertaining than the show itself.

@ leatherhead333 - interesting theory about the possible identity of King Torture. I guess we'll see.

@danilo07 - your assertion that those who aren't crazy about this new direction haven't explained themselves is ridiculous. But since you apparently can't read or can't be bothered to, let me spoonfeed you what people have been saying: the turn from a reasonably realistic premise - regular guy becoming a "superhero" fighting mundane human "villains" - to a show about an actual superhero fighting monsters for which there seems to be no natural explanation has been jarring to say the least. And because the show has dragged out this new development without actually providing any rationale, it's become a somewhat frustrating exercise of examining tea leaves to try and divine what this might all mean. Have you noticed the various theories being tossed around?

As I and others have said: if there is a clever point to all this then, ultimately, all will probably be forgiven. That remains to be seen.

And I'll remind YOU that intelligent discussion depends on people being able to READ what others have written and UNDERSTAND it instead of simply throwing out braindead and obviously false assertions.

Last edited by Blood- on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:58 am; edited 2 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:52 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I like it how most people complaining about this "new" direction the series is taking don't articulate their reasons for hatred.If we are planning on having a meaningful discussion it would be nice if people could actually say why they dislike the way series is evolving.

There are some truths that are self-evident. Freedom is good, equality is noble, peanut butter and jam sandwiches are delicious . . . and that the direction that Samurai Flamenco has been heading in these past two-and-a-bit episodes has been really awful.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Because it is so different now to how it was before.

That is rather trivial reason for disliking this show.Becoming different doesnt equate horrible quality,Madoka Magica suddenly changed,was that a bad show now?Second half of Evagelion is completely different from its first half,is the second half of Evangelion horrible?You can complain how change was jarring and I might agree to that,but that change is a link that takes a mere fraction of time in entire show.
Quote:
How before it liked to be within the realms of possibility, while now it is in the entire opposite direction.

Okay say we accept that the show was previously realistic(something that I strongly disagree with)and now it is completely bananas.Why is that transition bad?It serves a thematic purpose that was established early on,which is the boredom that comes from living in the world of superheroes that has previously established patterns.You might say "well I like it more when it was realistic ,because I prefer realism"that is a matter of personal preference that can not be discussed.
Quote:
That our bright eyed naïve hero is starting to turn arrogant.

It seems you are just summarizing differences between two parts,rather than explaining why one of them is worst.From logical point it makes sense that bright eyed naïve hero is becoming arrogant,it is rushed as hell though.
Quote:
And because the show has dragged out this new development without actually providing any rationale
Dragging for what two and half episodes?That is what you call dragging?
Quote:
As I and others have said: if there is a clever point to all this then, ultimately, all will probably be forgiven. That remains to be seen.

A lot of posts on previous page seem to have already dismissed the entire show.I just guess you didn't read them.
Quote:
There are some truths that are self-evident. Freedom is good, equality is noble, peanut butter and jam sandwiches are delicious . . . and that the direction that Samurai Flamenco has been heading in these past two-and-a-bit episodes has been really awful.

I hate peanut butter.+
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:29 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

You know what else tends to preclude meaningful discussion? Snippy posts like this. Maybe you should try just asking nicely if we'd elaborate on what we dislike.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Because it is so different now to how it was before. [...] That we have no idea what is happening with the sudden shift.

This is the crux of the matter for me. Look, I actually think I could enjoy this to some degree if it had just been this way from the start. I mean, it's not great and I definitely liked the real life, small-time hero setup better. But okay. Full blown super sentai? Sure. And it even seems to be playing with some interesting ideas (people getting bored, the whole formula/playing a role angle) although I'm not sure what it actually plans to do with them.

What gets me is the transition though. It was so rooted in reality prior to episode 7 and the change was so totally out of the blue. It doesn't feel at all believable. I just can't think this is all to be taken at face value. But that leaves me not really knowing what the heck to make of all this. Essentially, they've telegraphed the fact that there will be a twist so clearly that I feel like all I can do is wait for it. And in the mean time I can't derive much enjoyment from watching.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:31 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:
Because it is so different now to how it was before.

That is rather trivial reason for disliking this show.Becoming different doesnt equate horrible quality,Madoka Magica suddenly changed,was that a bad show now?

It really was not hard to see the dark themes early on in Madoka, Kyuubey was instantly recognise by me as creepy, and I believe such things as suicide were mentioned by Mami. There was no foreshadowing for the monsters in this.

And before I was giving reasons why we were disliking the change, which you seemed to think that none of us were saying, and I think the reasons I gave are good reasons to dislike the new direction. That we have been given no acceptable answer in two episodes for the shift can allow us to say it has dragged.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You know what else tends to preclude meaningful discussion? Snippy posts like this. Maybe you should try just asking nicely if we'd elaborate on what we dislike.

And for that I apologize,being rude wasn't my intent.
Quote:
What gets me is the transition though. It was so rooted in reality prior to episode 7 and the change was so totally out of the blue. It doesn't feel at all believable. I just can't think this is all to be taken at face value. But that leaves me not really knowing what the heck to make of all this. Essentially, they've telegraphed the fact that there will be a twist so clearly that I feel like all I can do is wait for it. And in the mean time I can't derive much enjoyment from watching.

I think that this uncertainty in reality was intentional at least in episode 7.This show always played with concept of imagination bleeding into reality and it was hard for our main character to discern between the two,so yeah we definitely meant to be confused.However we were probably also meant to accept the monsters as a part of every day reality by episode 9,the fact that you still have some confusion left over from that episode does mean that the show made some mistake in its execution.I dont have that issue,but I can see where you are coming from.
Quote:
And before I was giving reasons why we were disliking the change, which you seemed to think that none of us were saying, and I think the reasons I gave are good reasons to dislike the new direction.

No I see a lot "what people disliked about the change",not "why they thought it was actually bad".
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Maybe it was so obvious that it didn't need to mentioned but does anyone else think King Torture is Jouji Kaname? Always making up excuses to never assist Masayoshi with the monsters and he's the only person on the show who is about the height of King Torture.

Considering all the tropes the show has been using lately the whole "Master becomes enemy" scenario wouldn't surprise me. Not to mention they are both full of themselves and LOVE entertainment.

King Torture is also pretty knowledgeable about how super hero shows work (much more than a normal evil guy).

Definitely thought about that (and I think the show wants us to). But why cast a different actor for the part and not just put lots of effects over Kaname's voice to make it unable to recognise or just have him talk in a different voice?

Also, tone shifts are awesome. I like to be cleverly fooled and then get kicked in the stomach by my entertainment - if done well. I was heavily entertained (if somewhat confused) by King Torture's first appearance. Looking back, it was brilliant what they did with the episode after that, ignoring our confusion and just pretending like this was where we were headed from the start anyway. It was fun to scratch my head and think about all those wild theories. But now another week has passed and this is feeling more and more like Lost Highway, which, given how the show started, is not a good thing. Still, they are dropping clues all over the place that we are supposed to feel this way. They're probably watching the viewers' reactions and are roling on the ground from delight by now. Which is what keeps me coming back, of course.
TotalAnarchy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
The way this is going, I wouldn't be surprised if Masayoshi himself turned out to be King Torture, hehehe. Which would be kind of awesome, but I don't think the show is capable of such an intricate plot twist.

As for the new direction, I'm part of the group that is mildly satisfied. Particularly, I think the ending of episode 7 was brilliant, (warning overview following) spoiler[the way how the drug dealer reached for the pill, drops it and transforms into Gorillatine, and after Goto and Masayoshi barely manage to defeat it, King Torture appears towering over the city and addresses Samurai Flamenco like some legendary figure in a space opera.] Great stuff.

What really bugs me is the insufferably slow pace of the show, which has been keeping the reigns over story developments since episode one. There's also the case of under-developed characters, with the exception of Masayoshi and King Torture. Not to mention how potentially brilliant scenes such as spoiler[the face-off between the evil mooks and Samurai Flamenco at the end of episode 9] are treated casually and with unrewarding resolutions.

Still the anime is much more entertaining than the sum of its parts would imply. Very weird, I don't know how to explain it.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I thought that was a pretty glorious episode. Since this has turned into full blown satire, I feel I needed to adjust my expectations (not downgrade them, just adjust). Which took a while.

Masayoshi ridind the bike to spoiler[Torture's lair] ("spoiler[I'm on my way to the final battle]" - "Good luck") was as great as King Torture's lesson for Flamenco Girl ("spoiler[What do you mean, I'm not the main character?]")

Naturally, Goto stole the show when he turned on the full blown secret agent mode spoiler[driving his car into the rocket itself. The fact alone that Torture had this Bond villain-esque lair was hilarious. I guess rockets are just part of the standard offer.]

I don't know which I enjoyed more, Torture's or Samumenco's hammy speeches. So glad they cast Sho Hayami for this.

I wonder what will happen, now that spoiler[their identities have been revealed]. Also, I'm pretty sure spoiler[Torture] won't be dead just yet (he's not the type to be bothered by spoiler[a giant hole in the chest]).
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, this show is a thing that exists.

That's probably the nicest thing I can say about it right now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Well my expectations of the show also feel somewhat adjusted, although I would like a better explanation King Torture beyond spoiler[being a fan of superhero shows and somehow super science]. He just does not make sense in that his creations were impractical, yet overly complex in apparent cspoiler[ells and fusing with a chainsaw], and he really was his own downfall in giving any opportunity for Samurai Flamenco. I do kind of like that he spoiler[showed Flamenco Girl as the attention seeking, selfish person she is].

I still expect a proper explanation, as the cliché is not exactly that great, even if they are meaning it to be a satire, it does not feel like it.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:27 am Reply with quote
I still don't exactly know what's going on, but i really liked this ep. It's the first time i actually enjoyed this show again ever since it...changed: spoiler[playing the hero vs. being a hero, is a superhero's existance lonelier than that of a supervillain?, is being evil more fun than being good? I loved Masayoshi and Goto actually working together as a team (But i've never stopped a rocket before!!! Laughing) or Master saving the day with his axe or Moe being awesome.] So yeah, i was feeling entertained, not exatly satisfied but entertained!

The ending definitely seemed to imply that a new arc is gonna start now, but i don't really dare to speculate where this will be going anymore... Smile
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:36 am Reply with quote
Now the big question is spoiler[how are they going to handle Mari's aftermath after that ordeal! This is pretty much the point where she can gain significant change in her character so hopefully the writers don't screw up on that regard. It'll amusing if one of them went solo on Mari's behalf until Mari regains her composure and a new resolve.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 28